Texas SOT

Mechanic/Techs what do you think about your job?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've been wondering about mechanic type jobs and have a million questions for the people that work in the industry. I wonder what kind of schooling they require and how long does it take? Do you ever stress about having the job done on time? I've heard some people in the field make 60-80k a year, lies or truth? Are they in a specific field? Are they new or experienced? I've heard the manager or some office type position makes more and does less? Working at a small shop vs a dealer? I've heard diesel techs pay really good? Building air conditioning? Pay system? Is there a base pay system or does everyone make the same flat rate pay? Say anyone can make the same $10 for changing brakes. How much do jobs/tasks actually pay? I seen one and it was pennies on the dollar and thought it must have been example only. Do you like your job or do you wish you got into something else?

I used to want to be a mechanic until I got my first car. Who tightened the oil drain plug so tight? Going up and down and walking a mile to the tool box several times. Trying to put this power steering hose on and me not being physically strong enough to get it on the metal pipe. (surprised I didn't snap the metal pipe off) Maybe if I had a lift it would be different... Going to be doing more work on my car pretty soon. I also wonder how the industry is going to change because of Tesla and other EVs.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Hurley's Gold

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    I worked as an auto mechanic back when points and carburetors were still common. No schooling, just a mechanical aptitude. Pay is much better now but cars are a lot more complex too.

Many shops pay "flat rate" (this is how I worked). The job is published as taking a certain amount of labor time, this is what the customer pays and also what you get paid for the job. If the job books at 6 hours and you do it in 3, you get paid 6 hours. If it takes you 10 hours you still get paid for 6. One learns to work quick and efficiently with this pay scheme.

Currently working as a Field Engineer (technician) on digital printing presses for a big corp (think really fast laser printers the size of an SUV). Pay is pretty good, we are at better than $60k/yr. For entry level they like an AA in Electrical Engineering at minimum (my schooling is in health care). Can be substituted with experience. Most of our people are hired out of the printing industry that have worked on our machines as operators.

There are a lot of different directions to go should you pursue a career in the mechanical trades. A good knowledge of electronics is important with the increase in automation in nearly all aspects of automotive and industry.

To get an idea of this equipment.

wpyrGM6.jpg
    E4vWqXe.jpg

HhG13dt.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Made a pretty decent living, supported two families and my hobbies of over forty years as mechanic, then a supervisor and a shop manager. My main field was large trucks, and heavy equipment repair and maintenance for many years. Also did some in automotive repair, automotive electrical, rental equipment repair and even in the collision field as well.

It's not for everyone. Mechanics are a dime a dozen, but great mechanics are worth their weight in gold. You also need to have a talent for it, or at least a strong mechanical aptitude to be able to do the job. In many areas of doing mechanical repairs, you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. If you mechanic in the oilfield industry, you better be prepared to get really dirty! There are times when you have to work in some really bad weather depending on where you work. For some years I did lots of field service calls, and was on call 24/7. It paid very well, but it was also very hard. I worked at nights, on weekends, holidays, rain, snow, in the mud, scorching heat. You name it, I probably worked in it.

Many times, mechanics are paid by what they know, and how well they can do it. Lots of it is based upon your experience levels, or lack of. Certifications also help, and in some places, they won't even consider your application for hiring without certain certifications. Expect for top tier companies that pay the big buck, and even independent shops and dealership, to have to take a drug test to hire on and random drug testing.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Almost anything that requires manual labor is going to pay a decent wage, and increase as your skills do. I started in the water treatment industry in 1976, with essentially NO knowledge about the industry, but excellent mechanical aptitude and a willingness to learn. 6 years later, I was in sales and technical service. I continued to wear the two hats throughout my 40-year career in the industry, and made some pretty danged good money. After 40 years, I retired from the day job and went out on my own, doing residential water treatment. I did it without debt, planning on doing 1-2 jobs/mo, more for pocket money and to give me something to do than anything else. I ended up installing over 100 systems last year - have already done 4 this year, and have two more going in Monday. I'm making pretty good money without ripping anyone off, and am enjoying what I do. I figure I'll do it another 5-8 years, then turn it over to my oldest son. He can have it all, except for my truck - even after I retire, I'm gonna keep that beast, because by that point it'll still have under 100k miles on it (I bought it in October), and a lift gate is always handy!

Biggest thing is....find a career that you enjoy - if you don't like what you do, the money just isn't worth it.

At lease.jpg

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'm impressed with your questions and reasoning. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. I'm also curious at what point in life are you at and what career might you already be in - It would help to know this about you in order to better answer your questions.

It is said, and very true, that "if you find a career that you enjoy, you will never work a day in your life." But how does one find out what this career might be without investing a lot of time/effort/money? For example, if one had an interest in being a heart surgeon, one could spend 10 years or more just to get to the point of being able to fully know what it is like.

It would be wonderful if high schools offered "career exploration" events. But I think quite often people could benefit from such a thing even much later in life because people evolve, needs change, and society changes. Short of something like that, I think you're doing the next best thing by reaching out to others like you're doing, and I encourage you to consider requesting to "shadow" someone you might find who's in the career you have an interest in.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Being really good in your career field, making good money and enjoying the work you do, don't always coincide with each other.

My brother spent his first sixteen years right out of high school, working in retail groceries, for a large grocery chain. Worked his way up into management, making pretty decent money. But he hated it. When he got out, he went into a different part of retail grocery sales, and was making, even better money, but hated it. So after a few years, when another company bought out the company he worked for, he got out and decided to buy our uncle's automotive repair shop because he wanted to retire. My brother had done the same as I had on the farm working on various farm equipment, but he had never done mechanics as a way to make a living. He had to learn what I had been doing for many years in a very short time. In the beginning, I went to work for him as his shop manager, and a partner in his shop. Our father even went to work part time for him as well.

He found he had a talent for things that were automotive electrical. and after a few years of doing general automotive repair, decided to start specializing in just electrical repairs, starters, generators, alternators, winches, golf carts, and such. Personally, I think he made a great business decision there, and it paid off for him after years of hard work, and a huge investment of his time, energy and money.

But, the heart of this story is, he enjoys his job, as a shop owner, and employer, a problem solver and being a part of the community.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    It is said, and very true, that "if you find a career that you enjoy, you will never work a day in your life." But how does one find out what this career might be without investing a lot of time/effort/money? For example, if one had an interest in being a heart surgeon, one could spend 10 years or more just to get to the point of being able to fully know what it is like.

And I can attest that a job one loves will not always remain wonderful. I spent about 10 years in EMS, I think the first 5 years were the best of my professional life. I burned out hard right at about the 5 year mark. The second 5 years were undoubtedly the worst 5 years of my life.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    And I can attest that a job one loves will not always remain wonderful. I spent about 10 years in EMS, I think the first 5 years were the best of my professional life. I burned out hard right at about the 5 year mark. The second 5 years were undoubtedly the worst 5 years of my life.

I burned out once I got into management. First few years were okay, and the perks, benefits and bonus' were great. But after a few years, I saw where things were going at the corporate level, and I didn't like it. The last couple of years, they had my crews and myself "mentoring" college idiots with business degrees, or getting their business degree, who didn't even know how to change a flat, or change the oil in their vehicle. They knew nothing about mechanics, or trucks and had never spent one day of their life getting their hands dirty, much less working in a mechanics shop. It disgusted me to the core.

I decided to retain my sanity, as well as my dignity, I knew I had to change somethings. I knew I'd never get corporate to change, so I made a change. I got out of the corporate world and went back to my roots, of turning wrenches again. I didn't make near as much as I did when in management, but I also had lots less stress, and felt like I could look at myself in the mirror and not feel ashamed for being seduced my the money I had been making. I went to work in some smaller independent shops, and I was much happier for it.

If you are going to do it for simply the money, at some point, you will burn out, or of you don't, you will lose any sense of self worth and dignity, and be nothing more than someone's butt-kisser.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I finally remembered about this, at a time that I can actually reply. I'm currently very slowly working my way up to being a machinist. By some definitions I've been a machinist for a while. Currently 24, trying get my GED. I think machining is very cool or can be, but any of the work I usually get to do, is not. Then it is also very stressful. It doesn't really pay the best as it is. I've thought about walking away from it and going full student or working somewhere else with less pay with much less stress/effort. (I have the ability to do the first)

I have no certain idea of what I want to do. I've always been kinda good with computers, even though I problem solve with google. I've been talking about "IT" with someone and it seems it could be 1000 different fields of work and it opens up more questions than answers. I feel I am starting to adult too late and feel the need to rush everything, yet not actually doing anything. I do have some problems that will probably excuse me from certain fields. I need to get my eyes looked at, but something has been going on with them for years. I think I inherited my great grandpas bad knees and don't know how well I will be walking when I hit 30... My back/neck is hurting a fair amount from the work I've been doing the last 2 weeks. I need to see a chiropractor or something

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If what you are doing now hurts you, you damn sure don't want to be a mechanic.
    If you are interested in IT work, there are quite a few fields you can do mostly from a chair. Some you can do mostly from home. No better time than the present.
    As for your health. Please....
    You may be right, you may not. Best thing you can do is not feel sorry for yourself and be determined to live life as best you can and not give up. Doctors told me I would have a heart attack and die by 2000. Orthopedists told me without a doubt I would be crippled in a wheel chair by 2000 as well. If I survived my lungs and heart.
    I'm still walking and obviously still alive. Just because I am a decrepit old man does not mean I have to act like one. So don't.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will fall dead, frozen, from a bough without once having felt sorry for itself.
    If you don't like or want the life you have, fix it. Real simple.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have to agree with @jrbfishn . Mechanic work is hard, stressful and will wear your body out. Most all the mechanics I have known over they years, did the job because they enjoyed fixing things.

If it bothers you at 24, wait until your are 40 or 50. Being a mechanic isn't for everyone and not everyone has the talent, or the drive to do the work and do it well.

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    From 1989 - 2002 I was an licensed I.A. (Aircraft Tech-Inspectors Authorized) Loved it.. challenging and high pay.. learned to fly and it was on the company dime. It was a respected career and in demand. Then hi-tek really took off and the industry changed drastically.. went to surgical school and worked the transplant team for a while.. That position paid $22.00 p.h. then.. it pays $14.00 now. A.I. and robotics are taking over now slowly but surely. But robots can't repair your home A/C unit, or your plumbing, or roof your lid. Learn a trade that will be in demand for the next 20 years.. Welding comes to mind or CNC , even a 2 year degree in computer tech, software etc.. barely pays a living wage unless your a genius programmer. Young people today want an "easy street" thinking they will develop some stupid APP and be a millionaire at 23. Working with your hands as well as your mind reaps rewards that us boomers appreciate. Working outdoors was always my preference with anything that you can start with a KEY!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I may have replied to this before, but oh well.

Used to love turning wrenches. Then I got a job doing fleet maintenance for Coca Cola and within about 6 months I hated it. Now a decade or so later I can enjoy it a little bit again on my own stuff, but I’ll do everything I can to avoid working in a shop again.

As far as getting your life together, I recommend Jordan Peterson’s “12 Rules for Life”. Either hardcover or audiobook that you can listen to while doing other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I may have replied to this before, but oh well.

Used to love turning wrenches. Then I got a job doing fleet maintenance for Coca Cola and within about 6 months I hated it. Now a decade or so later I can enjoy it a little bit again on my own stuff, but I’ll do everything I can to avoid working in a shop again.

As far as getting your life together, I recommend Jordan Peterson’s “12 Rules for Life”. Either hardcover or audiobook that you can listen to while doing other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, being a mechanic isn't a job for everyone. Doing mechanic work as living is much different than doing it as hobby, or working on your own things. Working on a customer's vehicle, you can't walk away if you get frustrated and come back a couple of hours or days later and pick up where you left off.

The old saying, "Find a job you love to do, and you will never work again in your life." or whatever, isn't true. It never accounts for the politics and BS that comes with the job you love. I truly did love being a mechanic, until moving up the corporate ladder into having to deal with the politics spoiled it for me.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The old saying, "Find a job you love to do, and you will never work again in your life." or whatever, isn't true. It never accounts for the politics and BS that comes with the job you love. I truly did love being a mechanic, until moving up the corporate ladder into having to deal with the politics spoiled it for me.

In that instance, you grew beyond what you loved - so that's on you. I spent over 40 years doing a job I loved, but the 50-70k miles/year finally got to me...I no longer loved it. So, I took my sideline business of residential water softener sales & service, and went "full time" with it as my retirement gig. 5 years later, I'm still loving it enough to have bought a new service truck last year, and business is booming beyond my wildest dreams. Best part is, my oldest son is going to take over when I'm ready to walk away - so I managed to create a legacy from my passion....love it!

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Mechanic work depends who you work for. I suggest not doing it for a family business. Since I was the new guy (2-1/2 years) I only changed oil, greased everything and adjusted clutches. If you do boring stuff every day it drains on you.

The oilfield is boom or bust. I even tried just doing measurement and automation. When the bottom fell out everyone was sent home.

I’m finding out niche markets can be the best bang for your buck. Look into splicing fiber optic cable as an independent contractor or controls.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I finally remembered about this, at a time that I can actually reply. I'm currently very slowly working my way up to being a machinist. By some definitions I've been a machinist for a while. Currently 24, trying get my GED. I think machining is very cool or can be, but any of the work I usually get to do, is not. Then it is also very stressful. It doesn't really pay the best as it is. I've thought about walking away from it and going full student or working somewhere else with less pay with much less stress/effort. (I have the ability to do the first)

I have no certain idea of what I want to do. I've always been kinda good with computers, even though I problem solve with google. I've been talking about "IT" with someone and it seems it could be 1000 different fields of work and it opens up more questions than answers. I feel I am starting to adult too late and feel the need to rush everything, yet not actually doing anything. I do have some problems that will probably excuse me from certain fields. I need to get my eyes looked at, but something has been going on with them for years. I think I inherited my great grandpas bad knees and don't know how well I will be walking when I hit 30... My back/neck is hurting a fair amount from the work I've been doing the last 2 weeks. I need to see a chiropractor or something

Go see Dr. Harry SChultze in Round Rock -- Here is the information -- 512 252 3030 .. tell him Nathan and his girlfriend Emily sent you. he has a dark sense of humor but he is damn good at his job and you can tell.

The man can literally look at you and tell what's usually out of place. he can touch you in 5 places and know every bone out of alignment. I pay 60 bucks every week to see him and I don't regret it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    In that instance, you grew beyond what you loved - so that's on you. I spent over 40 years doing a job I loved, but the 50-70k miles/year finally got to me...I no longer loved it. So, I took my sideline business of residential water softener sales & service, and went "full time" with it as my retirement gig. 5 years later, I'm still loving it enough to have bought a new service truck last year, and business is booming beyond my wildest dreams. Best part is, my oldest son is going to take over when I'm ready to walk away - so I managed to create a legacy from my passion....love it!

I can agree with that assessment. At the time I decided to get out of corporate management, quit playing silly politics, and decided to downsize by going back to actually doing mechanic work for private shops, was also about the time I decided to end my second marriage with Wife #2. Not shortly after that, was when I met Wife #3, and she and I started seeing each other about six months after that. About a year later, she and I got married. Going on 17 years together coming this year.

If I had not gotten away from being a corporate lackey, who knows what would have happened. Probably would never have met my wonderful Wife #3. Wife #2, didn't start out high maintenance, but she became accustomed to it because of the money I made. I think in some ways, I put up with the nonsense for as long as I did, because I thought it was expected of me to do it.

Once I went to work in smaller private shops, doing real mechanic work again, I actually started enjoying what I did again.

Top Bottom