• ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Read more at the Truth about Guns blog;

The most important thing the court’s monitor or special master can do is bring it into compliance with applicable laws, and end the organization’s involvement in politics so it can focus on its original mission of training and education.

This might sound bad for gun rights on the surface, but anyone who takes a serious look at the fight for gun rights in the last decade already knows that the NRA has not been effective at that for years. Instead of soliciting donations for gun rights, the new NRA should instead refer members wanting to oppose gun control to donate money to serious groups like the GOA, SAF and FPC.
    Lynx Defense

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe

They should return to their roots:

NRA Early history​

William Conant Church, one of the NRA's founders

A few months after the Civil War began in 1861, a national rifle association was proposed by Americans in England. In a letter that was sent to President Abraham Lincoln and published in The New York Times, R.G. Moulton and R.B. Perry recommended forming an organization similar to the National Rifle Association in Britain, which had formed a year and a half earlier. They suggested making a shooting range, perhaps on the base on Staten Island, and were offering Whitworth rifles for prizes for the first shooting competition with those rifles. They suggested a provisional committee to start the Association which would include: President Lincoln, Secretary of War, officers, and other prominent New Yorkers.[16][17][18]

The National Rifle Association of America was chartered in the State of New York on November 17, 1871[19][5] by Army and Navy Journal editor William Conant Church and Captain George Wood Wingate. On November 25, 1871, the group voted to elect its first corporate officers. Union Army Civil War General Ambrose Burnside, who had worked as a Rhode Island gunsmith, was elected president.[20] When Burnside resigned on August 1, 1872,[21] Church succeeded him as president.[22]

Union Army records for the Civil War indicate that its troops fired about 1,000 rifle shots for each Confederate hit, causing General Burnside to lament his recruits: "Out of ten soldiers who are perfect in drill and the manual of arms, only one knows the purpose of the sights on his gun or can hit the broad side of a barn."[23][24][25] The generals attributed this to the use of volley tactics, devised for earlier, less accurate smoothbore muskets.[26][27]

Recognizing a need for better training, Wingate sent emissaries to Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany to observe militia and armies' marksmanship training programs.[28] With plans provided by Wingate, the New York Legislature funded the construction of a modern range at Creedmoor, Long Island, for long-range shooting competitions. The range officially opened on June 21, 1873.[29] The Central Railroad of Long Island established a railway station nearby, with trains running from Hunter's Point, with connecting boat service to 34th Street and the East River, allowing access from New York City.[30]

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The NRA was the first Civil Rights group. They were the first to allow anyone regardless of race, color, or sex to join and vote. They made teaching handling and marksmanship to everyone, especially freed slaves, a priority.

I still support the NRA training organization, but will not support the ILA until real change and a move back to core principles takes place.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    The NRA was the first Civil Rights group. They were the first to allow anyone regardless of race, color, or sex to join and vote. They made teaching handling and marksmanship to everyone, especially freed slaves, a priority.

I still support the NRA training organization, but will not support the ILA until real change and a move back to core principles takes place.
    They are also the only known organization on a full scale dedicated to supporting and funding training for youth shooters and competitors. This is the main reason why I support them as they came to my aid after my predicament in 1995 where two NRA instructors trained me in marksmanship and tactical shooting and truly empowering me to overcome threats at the time plus they changed my outlook and career field.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Still a supporter and member of NRA and looking forward to voting for board candidates who can make a difference. Elections have consequences and it starts with my one vote. Who's with me to make your vote count this spring?

My early notice in 1960s of NRA was with the former Pound Ridge Rifle Club, Pound Ridge NY not far from my CT home. Every spring they hosted an NRA smallbore training program which my parents thought was a good idea for me. And I am still at it with all sorts of firearms.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Charles Cotton Must Never Be Allowed to Head the NRA!

Those of us who have made the silly mistake of trying to talk on his forum have always known this. I think TGT has had a thread or two (actually more:)) talking about that place and how screwed up it is.

The guy's an ass.

ETA - I read the article after I posted. Like most of Knox's work, it's spot-on.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Those of us who have made the silly mistake of trying to talk on his forum have always known this. I think TGT has had a thread or two (actually more:)) talking about that place and how screwed up it is.

The guy's an ass.

ETA - I read the article after I posted. Like most of Knox's work, it's spot-on.

As I said elsewhere, WLP’s departure is Cotton’s wet dream.

Time will tell, but I doubt there’s a revolution coming to the NRA. Remember, Cotton made sure both West and North got ejected.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Photos of the NRA crooks below who might soon get mug shot photos. One can hope.

In the above post is information about the upcoming NRA board elections. Click on the blue highlighted text to view more details about the elections and voting.

Get Ready to Bullet Vote for Reformers on the Upcoming NRA Board Ballot

Ballots for the election of one-third of the Board of Directors will be in the March issue of NRA magazines. My name [Jeff Knox] will be on that ballot, seeking an unpaid position on the Board, along with my friends and fellow reformers Judge Phil Journey, Rocky Marshall, and Dennis Fusaro. There’s a good chance the current regime will use its control over the Association magazines to sway the election and keep the four of us from being elected, so we need your help. It’s imperative that every Voting Member of the Association mark only our four names on their ballot and return the ballot in the provided envelope with their signature. Only about 5% of ballots are ever returned, meaning 95% – almost 2 million ballots – go to waste. Please vote and make sure your eligible friends and family vote as well. Every vote does matter.

p.s. Also from the above article, "There are 76 seats on the NRA Board of Directors. Each year, 25 seats are up for election to a 3-year term, and one seat is filled for a 1-year term by a vote of members present at the Annual Meeting." In the events topic on this forum are details of the May 2024 NRA Convention in Dallas. Might there be a few forum members present to vote in person for a reform board candidate. Checking the NRA convention website it doesn't show the date/time of the members meeting. Has anyone voted for a board member at the annual meeting? What was your experience?

Attachments

• NRA-Officers-at-the-2023-Great-American-Outdoor-Show-600x373.jpg
      NRA-Officers-at-the-2023-Great-American-Outdoor-Show-600x373.jpg
      32.3 KB · Views: 14
    • owiu_dvygko-600x338.jpg
      owiu_dvygko-600x338.jpg
      16.6 KB · Views: 16
    • NRA-Board-Bullet-Voting-600x400.jpg
      NRA-Board-Bullet-Voting-600x400.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 12
    • NRA-Board-Election-Ballot-Vote-600x289.jpg
      NRA-Board-Election-Ballot-Vote-600x289.jpg