• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Looking to buy some sunglasses. I have zero experience looking for these. It'd be nice if they could double as eye protection at the range.

Any suggestions with brand or good place to buy sunglasses?
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I always loose mine, so I go with the cheap ones. Around $20 -$30 or so. As long as they do not give distortion and have UVA & UVB protection they seem to work pretty well, and then I don't feel so bad if I leave them someplace. Academy has a nice selection, and even carry the more expensive ones in the counter.

I have used them at the range, but they have kind of gone away from that as it seems to make seeing the sights more difficult.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I've had a pair of Maui jims now for 8 years. Best sunglasses I've ever owned. Best eye protection you can get (from the sun and elements) I also use them at the range, just because. Very sharp and crisp.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Oakley, and Revo make great products But they are not cheap. Oakley glasses are very comfortable and light weight. Damn now I want a new pair.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I buy the inexpensive polarized glasses at REI. I lose my glasses often so I don't wear the very expensive models, but I will only buy polarized lenses.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I used Oakleys for a number of years but have switched to Rudy Project. Many of their lenses are rated for shooting. I also like the Photocromic lenses that get darker as the sun gets brighter. They don't scratch nearly as easily as Oakleys but are just as clear and distortion free. Also they cost a bit less if you use the 2alpha code to get 30% off. Extra lenses cost a whole lot less than Oakleys.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I like Oakleys as well, but they're expensive if you're prone to breaking or losing them (i.e. darn kids).

My advice is to try on whatever you get, don't just buy online based on price. Most glasses give me a headache after an hour or so because my melon is large.

Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress has an Oakley Vault.

TERRor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Marion, Texas
    I have worn a pair of Smith Shelter's for the past 4 years. Mainly because I have a massive head and these are the largest framed glasses I could find. They take a beating.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I've had a pair of Maui jims now for 8 years. Best sunglasses I've ever owned. Best eye protection you can get (from the sun and elements) I also use them at the range, just because. Very sharp and crisp.

x10 (Volcano) best I ever had till I broke em ,now I wear Ray Ban Predators bout a hunnert bucks less than MJ

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    Sunglasses are unimportant.

I wear Gargoyles as range glasses & they double as sunglasses. I've got clear and "Black Ice."

I still use a pair of Oakleys just for the range due to the tint (orange-ish) but they break way too easy.

I've seen a .22 stopped by a pair of Oakleys and a 12 ga buckshot load stopped by Gargoyles (and a .22). Dunno what my grape would look like after the buckshot, but they could still use me for a corneal transplant.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    My shit is all Gucci.

You can't be this fly.

I ain't got the luxury to be fly, and I damn near need welder's goggles my eyes are so sensitive to bright light. I buy glacier sunglasses that usually only have 6% to 8% visible light transmission, 100% UV elimination, leather blinders on the sides, and flexible earpieces so that they stay on my head under any circumstances.

One piece of advice to the OP: when you find a pair of sunglasses that work...I mean really work well...then buy several of them because eventually they will no longer be made and you'll be out of luck.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    ESS ICE Naros...

ESS%20ICE2.4%20Naro%20NewImg.jpg

lightweight, frameless eye protection system that offers a unique combination of high-impact resistance, unrestricted field of view, and interchangeable lenses for effective eye protection in any light condition
    100% UVA/UVB protection, and exceed ANSI Z87.1-2003+ and the U.S Military .15 caliber ballistic impact test MIL-PRF-31013.

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    You can find some Revision Sawfly 2 lens sets Revision Eyewear | Sawfly Military Eyewear | Ballistic Shooting Glasses sets on eBay pretty cheaply at around $30-$40.

Or you can get some more stylish Rudy Projects Rudy Project Sunglasses, Helmets and Goggles - Leader in Cycling Sunglasses, Golf Sunglasses, Running Sunglasses and Prescription Sport Sunglasses which are those used by some of the shootin pros. And if you use the code HypercatRacing in the discount box, you can get something like 40% off. Plus if you damage the Rudy lenses, they'll replace them for $20.

Jemplayer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    One piece of advice to the OP: when you find a pair of sunglasses that work...I mean really work well...then buy several of them because eventually they will no longer be made and you'll be out of luck
    Unless you like Rayban Aviators like me. Same style for over 70 years.

Love the metal because it bends and can be bent back when you sit on them. Unlike plastic, which just brake.
    Glass lens are the only way to go. Have the same pair for over 2 years and still not a scratch on them, and I'm rough on them. I have spent many days grinding with a wire wheel brush and nothing. Cant say the same for plastic lens I've had in other expensive glasses.

Top Bottom