Not open for further replies.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Really? You're going to make that comparison. I just turned 65 and on Medicare.....which I paid for and still have to pay $100 each month. I draw S.S. as well but no where near what I paid in. You are welcome to have different a opinion than I on whether this guy should be put to death but that doe not give you the right to compare me to him!

It's a fair comparison in regards to expense. And also one that Obamacare brought to light. Obama thinks you suck if you are old.

It has nothing to do with character. But some (not me, I respect my elders) want to put a price on the elderly, and those who are an expense on society (welfare recipients and the mentally challenged for example) and place a limit on spending for their care.

I think you missed the point. The point is, If you want to limit the care that the mentally disabled get, where do you stop? What group deserves care? And which do not deserve care?
    Hurley's Gold

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    It's a fair comparison in regards to expense. And also one that Obamacare brought to light. Obama thinks you suck if you are old.

It has nothing to do with character. But some (not me, I respect my elders) want to put a price on the elderly, and those who are an expense on society (welfare recipients and the mentally challenged for example) and place a limit on spending for their care.

I think you missed the point. The point is, If you want to limit the care that the mentally disabled get, where do you stop? What group deserves care? And which do not deserve care?

Didn't say anything about limiting the care mentally ill people get. The answer of where do you stop is very simple to answer. If you have been convicted of cold blooded murder..........you deserve to die! No exceptions. If you're simply old or mentally disabled or both.......you should be able to get some help.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Argue death penalty all you want. The truth of the matter is that this guy will never murder anyone ever again. Problem solved. Life in prison can't guarantee that. If he was sentenced to life in prison he would probably be back on the street in a couple years.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    If you kill someone, are tried and convicted, the dead person won't come back, so why shouldn't you suffer the same fate? At the same time, prisons aren't supposed to be country club atmosphere. The idea is to discourage you from wanting to come back.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I disagree 100%. Kill every damn one of them if you ask me... then grind them up into hamburger and feed em to the other losers in the system. Nobody is forced to do a crime and I damn well don't want to pay to keep these scumbags alive.

Zero sympathy.

Kill em all.

This!!!!

Can't really compare the expense of medicare(we didn't kill anyone) to supporting a convicted murderer. If you do the crime then you need to pay the piper.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I disagree 100%. Kill every damn one of them if you ask me... then grind them up into hamburger and feed em to the other losers in the system. Nobody is forced to do a crime and I damn well don't want to pay to keep these scumbags alive.

Zero sympathy.

Kill em all.

This!!!!

Should we put down the elderly on Social Security and Medicare too since they're expensive? Who gets to decide who is put down? That's not the type of society we live in (except for the pro-choicers). That's what happens in communist China. We're better than that. Besides, life in prison is cheaper than executing someone.

Can't really compare the expense of medicare(we didn't kill anyone) to supporting a convicted murderer. If you do the crime then you need to pay the piper.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Old saying (allegedly by Ben Franklin): "You don't hang a man for stealing a horse, you hang him so others don't steal a horse."

The only reason the death penalty doesn't do more good is that the gov't makes it so difficult that only a small fraction of the people who should be executed actually are.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Should we put down the elderly on Social Security and Medicare too since they're expensive?

if they kill / kidnap / rape or whatever....

OFCOURSE.

and the best part is you could probably stretch out one dose to do 2 or 3 of em.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A friend of mine, a good police officer, was murdered by a career criminal when I was still a cop. JD Bock attempted to stop a car for a traffic infraction. The offender fled, and led Bock just outside the city. He then executed my friend by shooting him twice in the chest, and when Bock was down he shot Bock twice in the head.

After an extensive manhunt, Alberto Valdez was captured and subsequently conviced of capital murder. Prior to the murder of Bock, I had arrested Valdez once. I recall he had an extensive criminal record and was typical of the type. I dealt with mentally ill persons, and Valdez was a decided criminal.

He was sentenced to death, but the liberal board has overturned that after deciding he is too crazy to execute. He lives. Bock's children grew up not only without a father, but with the knowledge he died a violent death at the hands of another. Valdez lives.

It is wrong, and it makes me angrey and sad.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Argue death penalty all you want. The truth of the matter is that this guy will never murder anyone ever again. Problem solved. Life in prison can't guarantee that. If he was sentenced to life in prison he would probably be back on the street in a couple years.

For capital offenses Texas offers only two punishments upon conviction; death or life without parole.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    A friend of mine, a good police officer, was murdered by a career criminal when I was still a cop. JD Bock attempted to stop a car for a traffic infraction. The offender fled, and led Bock just outside the city. He then executed my friend by shooting him twice in the chest, and when Bock was down he shot Bock twice in the head.

After an extensive manhunt, Alberto Valdez was captured and subsequently conviced of capital murder. Prior to the murder of Bock, I had arrested Valdez once. I recall he had an extensive criminal record and was typical of the type. I dealt with mentally ill persons, and Valdez was a decided criminal.

He was sentenced to death, but the liberal board has overturned that after deciding he is too crazy to execute. He lives. Bock's children grew up not only without a father, but with the knowledge he died a violent death at the hands of another. Valdez lives.

It is wrong, and it makes me angrey and sad.

Wow.
    That is seriously awful. I can't imagine what that must be like for them, or you.

Thanks for sharing that TXInvestigator- puts things into perspective in a very real way.
    (even more so than your usual)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Then what? Pay even more tax dollars to keep them alive? Put 'em down like rabid dogs says I.

Should we put down the elderly on Social Security and Medicare too since they're expensive? Who gets to decide who is put down? That's not the type of society we live in (except for the pro-choicers). That's what happens in communist China. We're better than that. Besides, life in prison is cheaper than executing someone.

Really? You're going to make that comparison. I just turned 65 and on Medicare.....which I paid for and still have to pay $100 each month. I draw S.S. as well but no where near what I paid in. You are welcome to have different a opinion than I on whether this guy should be put to death but that doe not give you the right to compare me to him!

Yes, I'm really going to compare it from the singluar expense aspect. I have every right.

Killing someone "because they're expensive" is not a valid moral reason. That's specifically what I was responding to in London's post. Killing someone who committed a crime may or may not be depending on the circumstances. I never compared the morality of a criminal act to accepting SS.

Next time please try to think through what I'm saying and take it in full context.

As an aside on SS...
    Most, if not all, SS recipients will not pay in enough in their lifetime to pay for the benefits they receive. That's how the system is setup. So yes, my taxes will most likely pay for some of your benefits after your retire. Please don't pretend this is some retirement plan that you alone paid into over your lifetime. The numbers say otherwise. Yes, its shocking, they lied to you. A large portion of the benefits are based on what you paid in, but the rest are entitlement payouts provided by my tax dollars after you retire. That's not conjecture nor politics, that's factual accounting based on the "average" person who pays into SS. That's part of why its unsustainable as a program.

Please don't take this as a jab. It's just the facts. You can look up all sorts of studies on it for yourself.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    What ever the guy's problem - its cured now.

I'll believe the death penalty is not a deterrent the first time someone who's been executed comes back and
    murders another person. That hasn't happened yet; I don't think.

"The Lives of Juvenile Lifers: Findings from a National Survey" focuses on life sentences of juveniles.
    However, they provide cost estimates of all prisoners incarcerated in prisons around the U.S.

A life sentence that begins in one’s late teens can be expected to last at least 55 years.
    The average cost of incarcerating a young prisoner averages $22,000 annually;
    but with rising costs of older inmates, beginning at age 55, the annual cost is closer
    to $65,000, yielding a lifetime cost to taxpayers of $2 million per prisoner. I don't know of many social
    security recipients who gather in that much from the government.

Prisoners also are eligible for educational benefits that aren't normally covered under social security.

If someone is killing people at random and is so crazy he has no idea what he is doing, society is better off
    not having him around to worry about. He doesn't pay into a fund that helps pay for his prison life. I really
    don't see how you can compare the expenses of a prisoner with the return on social security and medicare
    payments one makes throughout his working lifetime.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What ever the guy's problem - its cured now.

I'll believe the death penalty is not a deterrent the first time someone who's been executed comes back and
    murders another person. That hasn't happened yet; I don't think.

"The Lives of Juvenile Lifers: Findings from a National Survey" focuses on life sentences of juveniles.
    However, they provide cost estimates of all prisoners incarcerated in prisons around the U.S.

A life sentence that begins in one’s late teens can be expected to last at least 55 years.
    The average cost of incarcerating a young prisoner averages $22,000 annually;
    but with rising costs of older inmates, beginning at age 55, the annual cost is closer
    to $65,000, yielding a lifetime cost to taxpayers of $2 million per prisoner. I don't know of many social
    security recipients who gather in that much from the government.

Prisoners also are eligible for educational benefits that aren't normally covered under social security.

If someone is killing people at random and is so crazy he has no idea what he is doing, society is better off
    not having him around to worry about. He doesn't pay into a fund that helps pay for his prison life. I really
    don't see how you can compare the expenses of a prisoner with the return on social security and medicare
    payments one makes throughout his working lifetime.

Again, reading comprehension...

I didn't "compare the expenses of a prisoner with the return on social security and medicare
    payments one makes throughout his working lifetime". I said that cost isn't a valid moral reason to execute someone.

If you are going to compare apples to apples on cost you need to compare the cost of life in prison to the cost of the death penalty.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    SS benefits are a cost. That's not a comparison its simply a fact. Most get more than they pay in.

That was an "aside," meaning, not relevant to the primary conversation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom