Target Sports

Merit has no place in military promotions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Do you wonder why Reagan nominated Colin Powell for CJCS?

To serve as Chairman, an officer has to have served either as Vice Chairman, Service Chief, or commander of a Combatant Command. Brown is currently the Air Force Chief of Staff (appointed by Trump if that matters) and commander of Pacific Command.

Gilday, CNO, doesn’t have anywhere near the same experience, neither does Berger, the Marine Commandant who’s retiring. McConville, CSA, might be next most qualified except his only combatant command experience was as a planner at SOCOM although he is a badass of badasses when it comes to helicopter pilots…he flew for FCD, the org behind the funky blackhawks flown in the bin Laden raid.
    What I meant is not his qualifications, but the Biden Administrations motives. Was he the only candidate to fit a mold? If he is as good as you say, then it's laughable to think they only looked at his color and not his character.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What I meant is not his qualifications, but the Biden Administrations motives. Was he the only candidate to fit a mold? If he is as good as you say, then it's laughable to think they only looked at his color and not his character.

I hear you, but none of us can pretend to know the motives of an administration’s decision on who to nominate for certain positions.

The first obvious is the limited options available for the role; there’s only five people at any one time that are even eligible. Of those five, timing makes a lot of impact; this time around there were only three people (CSAF, CSA, VCJCS) that could fill the role due to career timing.

Given those constraints, you start looking at contenders to backfill the Service Chief role…I don’t think Army really has anyone ready to fleet up to CSA, so the current Vice or the current CSAF were likely the only two realistic candidates. Brown is a warfighter who’s term as CSAF was coming to an end and would have either been renominated as CSAF or Grady who’s only midway thru the Vice term.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Wife is trying to retire, she says this all the time about the future of the US military.
    I've said similar things since covid started and been ridiculed for belittling the military as if I had no point of reference or sense enough to follow the signs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I hear you, but none of us can pretend to know the motives of an administration’s decision on who to nominate for certain positions.

The first obvious is the limited options available for the role; there’s only five people at any one time that are even eligible. Of those five, timing makes a lot of impact; this time around there were only three people (CSAF, CSA, VCJCS) that could fill the role due to career timing.

Given those constraints, you start looking at contenders to backfill the Service Chief role…I don’t think Army really has anyone ready to fleet up to CSA, so the current Vice or the current CSAF were likely the only two realistic candidates. Brown is a warfighter who’s term as CSAF was coming to an end and would have either been renominated as CSAF or Grady who’s only midway thru the Vice term.
    Just going on past promotions by the Biden Administration. Certainly not merit based.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    I both worked for and know CQ Brown personally. Our kids were in school together, played sports together, were in Scouts together. He went to Texas Tech, is an Eagle Scout, and sat on my son’s Eagle Scout Board of Review.

He’s an F-16 pilot, Weapons School grad, instructor, and later Commandant. Commanded a fighter squadron, fighter wing, and Combatant Command.

The only taint attached is that in the eye of the beholder.

If I were a minority senior officer and well deserving of a promotion to a more senior billet I would resent the current executive civilian boss from saying that diversity played a roll in promotions. I was not knocking this particular general but was thinking that no one wants to be characterized by race but perhaps by merit. You don't need to defend Brown and I suspect he is not keen for inclusion, equity and diversity if he made it based on his character and leadership ability.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Funny, news tonight says military is down several hundred promotions and that hurts national defense. HOW? Same guys still have a job, just not promoted. There is always somebody temporarily 'in-charge'. Oh, scum don't get promoted to the top? Lying media again. Keep it up Tubberville.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Funny, news tonight says military is down several hundred promotions and that hurts national defense. HOW? Same guys still have a job, just not promoted. There is always somebody temporarily 'in-charge'. Oh, scum don't get promoted to the top? Lying media again. Keep it up Tubberville.

To be fair, it is going on - and it's an intentional strategy. Sen. Tommy Tuberville of Alabama is holding up all military promotions that require Congressional approval - and that's basically Colonel and above - until the Pentagon drops a policy of helping military personnel get around abortion laws in the states where they're stationed by flying them to other states to get the procedure done. Right now it's holding up quite a few promotions, including appointing a new Commandant of the Marine Corps as the current one is retiring.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Facepalm is all I got.

0e94c3d50d3ed1e63545a4947010ef20.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Milley was a man among men but his replacement is both "strategic and symbolic".

Milley may have been a "man among men", but as Chairman of the JCS he's shown himself to be nothing but a political animal of the Democrat variety. He's the one on whose watch all this PC bullshit, "gender affirming" drag queen shows, and promotions based on identity politics have taken hold. He's also the Chairman who delcared he'd have called his Chinese communist counterpart to warn him if Trump had ordered any aggressive moves toward China.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Milley may have been a "man among men", but as Chairman of the JCS he's shown himself to be nothing but a political animal of the Democrat variety. He's the one on whose watch all this PC bullshit, "gender affirming" drag queen shows, and promotions based on identity politics have taken hold. He's also the Chairman who delcared he'd have called his Chinese communist counterpart to warn him if Trump had ordered any aggressive moves toward China.
    Would it be wrong to wish him all he deserves in the future?

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    <>

”Loyd Austin”

We don’t like him.

We don’t trust him.

We don’t want him.

Both the Service-People and the Citizens deserve better.

How about replacing him with Col. Allen West ?

<>
    I recognized him as he was checking in at the range open carrying a .380. I introduced myself and said hello Mr West. He said "call me Allen". Pretty cool guy

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Even while in Vietnam 1st sgt wouldn't ok my promotion to sgt til I had required time in the army even tho the plt sgt put me in for it. No E6 unless I went to nco school. Army kinda sucks.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    We did affirmative action in the 90’s and learned it hurt the military and produced incompetent leaders.

But when China tells the Biden Admin to push for a weaker military leadership, Biden Admin obeys.

I spent 20 plus years serving with some great units, being on the front lines of major conflicts. Poor leadership reflects. Today I work as DoD contractor training US and foreign military with Infantry and Aviation operations. Every few weeks working with different groups. Our military is lacks leadership and decision making skills because promotions are not based on merit and good soldier’s are getting out to do better things.

I will not let my grandkids join this current military not advise friends kids to join, other than to get 3-4 years of training to get a better job outside.

We have a soldier fleeing our military to North Korea… We have high ranking Transgenders providing information to our enemies, or being relived from command they never should have had in the first place.

Top Bottom