• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There is a ring of loathe ice chunks surrounding the hole.

I can see how a small fragment could have done that. Things get crazy when they hit at almost incomprehensible speeds.
    Capitol Armory ad

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    "loathe ice chunks".... Are you drunk/tired/stoned, or is that the actual scientific term?

Incomprehensible speed or not, the laws of physics still apply, and from what I understand, there's no way a high-speed, high-energy impact caused that hole.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "loathe ice chunks".... Are you drunk/tired/stoned, or is that the actual scientific term?

Incomprehensible speed or not, the laws of physics still apply, and from what I understand, there's no way a high-speed, high-energy impact caused that hole.

My spell check hates me. I think your physics are off.

Look at it this way. If you throw a small rock through a window just hard enough to go through the entire window shatters.

Now send a bullet that is the same diameter as the rock through the window at around 2800 FPS and it leaves a small hole with some fracturing around it.

The faster the object goes the cleaner the hole will be. The displaced water would easily throw the ice chunks in a circular pattern around the hole.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    My spell check hates me. I think your physics are off.

Look at it this way. If you throw a small rock through a window just hard enough to go through the entire window shatters.

Now send a bullet that is the same diameter as the rock through the window at around 2800 FPS and it leaves a small hole with some fracturing around it.

The faster the object goes the cleaner the hole will be. The displaced water would easily throw the ice chunks in a circular pattern around the hole.

Until you have something moving so damn fast, the shockwave it creates destroys all around it. If it shattered windows, in MID AIR, it would have shattered that area around the "entry" point as well, creating such a disturbance in the water, that the waves under the ice would have cracked the ice for hundreds of yards around it.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Until you have something moving so damn fast, the shockwave it creates destroys all around it. If it shattered windows, in MID AIR, it would have shattered that area around the "entry" point as well, creating such a disturbance in the water, that the waves under the ice would have cracked the ice for hundreds of yards around it.

Exactly.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

It was the meteorite shattering that caused the shock wave, it pretty much explodes. Above ground detonations do more damage, that's way A bombs are detonated a certain distance above ground.

The whole in the ice was not caused by the Giant meteorite that came crashing in to the earth but by a small fragment probably the size of a base ball that was left over after it exploded.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    It was the meteorite shattering that caused the shock wave, it pretty much explodes. Above ground detonations do more damage, that's way A bombs are detonated a certain distance above ground.

The whole in the ice was not caused by the Giant meteorite that came crashing in to the earth but by a small fragment probably the size of a base ball that was left over after it exploded.

Maybe, but very unlikely.

sent from my dishwasher

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We need a physicist on the forum.

I'm gonna go check in to a holiday in express, I'll let y'all know exactly what happened tomorrow morning.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Don't you guys ever watch Meteorite Men - Science Channel?? They find fragments all the time from small craters.

Second, the Tunguska event was believed to be a comet.

Third, the analogy of a rock and window is not that good. Trust me on this from experience in my younger days and shooting windows with BB guns, most of the time they left a small hole, with some cracking and did not shatter the entire window, and they travel a lot faster than a thrown rock. Repaired one late last year from the neighbors kids in a small pane on the kitchen window, only effected about a 4 square inch area where the BB hit. Single piece of Scotch tape covered it up until I had time to fix it. Too many variables to make generalized assumptions on this..............

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    We need a physicist on the forum.

I'm gonna go check in to a holiday in express, I'll let y'all know exactly what happened tomorrow morning.

we've got one. i'll call him and inform him of this thread.
    stand by for Vash.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I gotta go edit out all the crap in my posts now before it gets taken apart by someone who knows WTF they're talking about, LOL.

Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    As for the lack of shattered ice, remember what we are dealing with here, a rock surrounded by plasma. It's 'burning up' in the atmosphere. The air around it is ionizing and that vaporizes the surface. I'm sure some ice scracked when it punched through, but the hot trail of vaporizing meteor stuff probably melted that nice big hole we see.

Also, they may have just scooped it out to keep the hole open, like ice fishermen do.

I'm not saying it was aliens....

.. but it was aliens.

Top Bottom