Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Probably irrigation of his 1.85 acres.

From NPR:
    “Audubon International estimates that the average American course uses 312,000 gallons per day. In a place like Palm Springs, where 57 golf courses challenge the desert, each course eats up a million gallons a day. That is, each course each day in Palm Springs consumes as much water as an American family of four uses in four years.”

Golf courses are a waste of land and water resources. BIG TIME. It's private property so they can do what they like. I wonder if those jerks get exemptions from property tax and WATER bills.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Golf courses are a waste of land and water resources. BIG TIME. It's private property so they can do what they like. I wonder if those jerks get exemptions from property tax and WATER bills.

But when private property pulls water from public utilities, in a drought region like SoCal deserts, it’s an issue.

But fear not.
    CA politicians mandated water reduction efforts for desert golf courses.

And in typical CA fashion, no money was allocated for actual monitoring or enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Probably irrigation of his 1.85 acres.

From NPR:
    “Audubon International estimates that the average American course uses 312,000 gallons per day. In a place like Palm Springs, where 57 golf courses challenge the desert, each course eats up a million gallons a day. That is, each course each day in Palm Springs consumes as much water as an American family of four uses in four years.”

I have 3/4 of an acre and know how much water I use during dry times for the lawn. And I still can't figure out where a million gallons would go on a 1.85 acre property.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    And keep in mind that us ordinary citizens are still subject to COA water restrictions and have been since the big drought of a few years ago when Lake Travis got dangerously low, albeit a bit less restrictive than it was during the drought. Which is why I posted the article in Rants and Raves.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I have 3/4 of an acre and know how much water I use during dry times for the lawn. And I still can't figure out where a million gallons would go on a 1.85 acre property.

Agreed. That’s enough to cover his land from border to border with 2.3 feet of water every year.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Who gives a crap! Obviously not the city leadership that is so effing green. What have our fearless elected city elders done about it? Have they fined him? Have they enforced any of their retarded ordinances? They took his $$ and had bike lane building circle jerk session.

Does the guy not pay his water bill or something?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Who gives a crap!
    Well, I do, since I started this thread. He is my Representative and our city's largest water user while I, a mere peon, would be subject to fines for not following the water restrictions that are in place. I am guessing, and only guessing, that he has a variance.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Who gives a crap! Obviously not the city leadership that is so effing green. What have our fearless elected city elders done about it? Have they fined him? Have they enforced any of their retarded ordinances? They took his $$ and had bike lane building circle jerk session.

Does the guy not pay his water bill or something?

It's unlikely that he does, or if he does he pays it at a significantly subsidized (read paid for by YOU) rate.

Go take a look at your Austin city water bill (or any water bill.) Figure out the gallons to dollars ratio. And then figure out how much 1 MILLION gallons would cost you... He's over that. I think you'll see he's not paying it.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Well, I do, since I started this thread. He is my Representative and our city's largest water user while I, a mere peon, would be subject to fines for not following the water restrictions that are in place. I am guessing, and only guessing, that he has a variance.

So you’re mad at the guy who theoretically followed the rules established by the super duper environmentally friendly city elders??

Why aren’t you mad at the idiots who set up the variances or the selective enforcement of ordinances?

It's unlikely that he does, or if he does he pays it at a significantly subsidized (read paid for by YOU) rate.

Go take a look at your Austin city water bill (or any water bill.) Figure out the gallons to dollars ratio. And then figure out how much 1 MILLION gallons would cost you... He's over that. I think you'll see he's not paying it.

That’s a lot of thinking and not a lot of actual facts.

Unless he is breaking the law, be pissed at the people responsible for allowing him to piss away that much water. The city sets the rates, sets the rules for variances and allowances for subsidies. Go pound on their doors to change the rules to better align with their stated green mentality. Where is the report on which city council member signed off any variance or sponsored The ordinances allowing them...

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Why aren’t you mad at the idiots who set up the variances or the selective enforcement of ordinances?
    Who says I am not? Are you a mind reader now? Plus, I don't know if he has a variance or not. Not even sure I could find out, but I'm gonna try.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    So you’re mad at the guy who theoretically followed the rules established by the super duper environmentally friendly city elders??

That’s a lot of thinking and not a lot of actual facts.

Unless he is breaking the law, be pissed at the people responsible for allowing him to piss away that much water. The city sets the rates, sets the rules for variances and allowances for subsidies. Go pound on their doors to change the rules to better align with their stated green mentality. Where is the report on which city council member signed off any variance or sponsored The ordinances allowing them...

Hey I don't subsidize shit in Austin. I don't live there. I'm just saying you subsidize people that get subsidies via your own water bill. I imagine most of the politically connected get a wink and a nudge and a subsidy... I don't mind all that much except water is crucial to LIFE.. We say we're in a drought now, every lawn but mine is brown, mainly because most folks don't water and I have a sprinkler system. However, I abide by the water restrictions we have in place now (no watering between 10am and 6pm.) I'd be pissed if I lived in a city where politicians were blatantly disregarding water restrictions or asking for exemptions.

I'd be more pissed if a guy with land only 4x larger than mine went through over a MILLION gallons of water in a year. I go through less than .1% of that.

Then again, I'd never live in Travis, Harris, or Dallas counties, so I really don't have to worry about it that much.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hmmm, lets see - right, lets get angry about what others do with say with electricity usage.

Man, those people use more than me so I hate them.

Plus, they have a nicer house and vehicle.

I hate them.

We should pay more attention to what others do with their lives, cuz it's our business to mind their business.

Right?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    ok I did the math and looked at my water bill.. This is the highest water usage we've ever had because of extreme drought... We used as a house of 5 186000 gallons in the last year..

Last edited:

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    Over 114 gallons an hour (every hour of the year) is a little excessive.

The guy could make his own lake.
    P
    Maybe he's keeping Lake Austin full with runoff. He could suck it out of the Lake and any runoff could be diverted back to the Lake.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    How about this: A family using more than 1 roll of T.P. a day.

Wow!

Especially, given (I think it was S. Crow) who advised people in general shouldn't use more than 1 sheet of T.P. to finish their business.

Huh?

Huh?

Hey, this is important for all busybodies who must tell others how to consume...whatever.

Right?

Top Bottom