• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I recently purchased this Micro Compact so haven't shoot it much but today had some issues while shooting RWS Match Grade 230 gr. FMJ ammo. As the title states some rounds would not fire, some I could re-cock hammer and second try they would go bang but not always. Loaded some cheap Monarch 230 gr. fmj and the Micro worked prefect.....ran 3 full mags no issue with Monarch.

Also has my S &W Commander Size .45 and it ran the RWS Match Grade with no issues. The primers on the RWS are silver alloy in color and the primers on the Monarch are brass in color. Common sense tells me the primers on the RWS are harder and take heavier strike than the Monarch. I am new to 1911s so my question is....what can I do to the Micro Compact to make the firing pin strike harder? Or should I just leave alone and shoot the RWS in my Commander. My only concern is that the Micro was purchased for a carry weapon and at this point I'm not really confident in it.

Like I said, new to 1911s but not new to shooting and very confident in working on my guns so is this something I might fix or should I take to a gunsmith?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sounds like break in issues.
    Keep firing. Hopefully it'll loosen up and hit harder.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As you should with any carry pistol, shoot it with the ammo you will be carrying. If that poses no issues, then you will be ok.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Ahh...
    Unless the firing pin/striker is dirty, I got nothing.

This. Definitely worth disassembling the slide, firing pin, etc. and cleaning. There's no telling what sort of gunk has gotten trapped in there over the years. How do the firing pin marks look on the fired brass, especially the double-tapped brass? Deep? Pics?

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    This. Definitely worth disassembling the slide, firing pin, etc. and cleaning. There's no telling what sort of gunk has gotten trapped in there over the years. How do the firing pin marks look on the fired brass, especially the double-tapped brass? Deep? Pics?

Looked at spent brass at the range but since I don't reload (yet) didn't collect it. Even on the Monarch brass, with fired every time, the dimple was extremely light compared to my commander. Will disassemble and clean firing pin then go try again.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    After cleaning the FP channel and aperture I'd look at the mainspring. If it is to light it will not send the hammer forward with enough force to overcome the FP spring. Perhaps the previous owner goofed with the springs in that gun trying to get a light trigger pull or some stuff. Might not be a bad idea to replace the recoil, FP spring and mainspring all at once. For that I'd order a set from Wolff springs. Also be sure the sear spring hasn't been messed with.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    After cleaning the FP channel and aperture I'd look at the mainspring. If it is to light it will not send the hammer forward with enough force to overcome the FP spring. Perhaps the previous owner goofed with the springs in that gun trying to get a light trigger pull or some stuff. Might not be a bad idea to replace the recoil, FP spring and mainspring all at once. For that I'd order a set from Wolff springs. Also be sure the sear spring hasn't been messed with.

Thanks Shorts. You could be spot on. When I purchased the first thing the owner did (after clearing weapon) was insist that check the trigger pulled. Said he had it worked on by local gunsmith and the trigger pull is VERY light. Just odd that it ran the Monarch with no issues.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical