Capitol Armory ad

Millennials and Gen Z are about to really be stressed - Adderall is running short

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My father was very judicious in his ass whippings. You knew you earned it, no ambiguity. I turned out just fine. what you are ascribing to is that the last 2 generations of men have been raised by women. What you see today is the result of that.
    QFT.

I can't imagine how I would turn out if I were being raised today. My parents might have actually believed my kindergarten principal and treated my "condition" with God knows what approach.
    Hurley's Gold

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I wonder where processed food comes in?
    I’m sure it’s a factor. All that artificial crap can’t be good. As a young kid I was hyper active. The dr put me on what was call the Feingold Diet, no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or anything. In todays terms, I guess it would be an organic food diet. While the other kids ate Nabisco goodies, I always had my own special cookies that mom would make that didn’t have the preservatives. Mom also made my bread. Caffeine was out too. On a very limited basis, I could have a root beer or 7up, but that was not very often. Cokes and other soft drinks were not allowed. I was on it for most of grade school and it did calm me down

Last edited:

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I’m sure it’s a factor. All that artificial crap can’t be good. As a young kid I was hyper active. The dr put me on what was call the Feingold Diet, no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or anything. In todays terms, I guess it would be an organic food diet. While the other kids ate Nabisco goodies, I always had my own special cookies that mom would make that didn’t have the preservatives. Mom also made my bread. Caffeine was out too. On a very limited basis, I could have a root beer or 7up, but that was not very often. Ike’s and other soft drinks were not allowed. I was on it for most of grade school and it did calm me down
    (old) Age calmed me down. Now I am so calm that most of the time I don't want to move.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I’m sure it’s a factor. All that artificial crap can’t be good. As a young kid I was hyper active. The dr put me on what was call the Feingold Diet, no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or anything. In todays terms, I guess it would be an organic food diet. While the other kids ate Nabisco goodies, I always had my own special cookies that mom would make that didn’t have the preservatives. Mom also made my bread. Caffeine was out too. On a very limited basis, I could have a root beer or 7up, but that was not very often. Ike’s and other soft drinks were not allowed. I was on it for most of grade school and it did calm me down
    Your Mother was wise. And willing to commit herself to a better life for her son.
    I hope you let her know how special she is.

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    That'd be your vagina speaking.

Is that one of them cross dressin fender benders????
    laughing.gif

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    What do you do what all the please we dont do that doesnt work? Put them on drugs? Sometimes a spanking is completely appropriate unless you're afraid you cant control yourself and would do so out of anger i.e. out of

I have no concerns with losing control, but rather I don’t view violence as a helpful means to an end with regard to changing behavior in children.

I don’t view violence as an acceptable means to the end of changing behavior in children. I think it does more harm than good.

Your hypothetical question leaves out too many cultural variables to have meaning. What I do and have done as a parent probably isn’t all that different from what you are advocating for with one variation. I don’t beat my kid. Apparently you do.

There are nearly an unlimited number of ways to model appropriate behavior, enforce discipline, and instill values. Be creative. I don’t agree that violence is an acceptable means to that end.

Last edited:

Born Here

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2022
    The Woods
    3 swats on the butt with a belt.... is not violence.

My old man got drunk a few times and punched me in the gut very hard, and threw me across the room and kicked me when I was down and out of breath from the gut punch. (and I was engaged in parent abuse so I kinda had it coming)

Now that would be violence... 3 swats on the butt with a belt is not close to violence

Of course modern liberal cross dressin pansies think it is... but it's not.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Let’s define violence.
    I would say violence as it’s being discussed in this conversation is something along the lines of leveraging a parent or guardians disproportionate physical size and strength to inflict pain and shaming onto a child with the intended goal of changing that child's behavior.

The rationale is that while this violence is wrong, it is an acceptable (not optimal) means to the end of producing an adult who will live in harmony with the expected behaviors of the adult or guardian.

How does that match with your understanding of violence in this context?

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    You are very wrong. My son received his share of ass whippings when he was under 7 years old. Now he is a senior in high school, 1530 SAT, a good hunter, fisherman, and human being. Volunteers at least 5 hours a week mostly with special needs kids. Violence brought him to this point. Waiting for his acceptance to Michigan and Notre Dame on a pre med program. I would say that I have applied the proper application of violence.
    I’m very happy to hear that your son has developed into what you wanted.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    There's a big difference between physical discipline ( spanking ), and violence towards children.
    You don't see too many ADD issues with children that live in the country. Why?, Their parent's still whoop their butts when they act out of place.
    Urban children rarely ever get old school discipline measures used on them anymore because of all the Liberal brainwashing that has occurred over the decades.
    I respect your decision, but feel you are wrong. Thank you for sharing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would say violence as it’s being discussed in this conversation is something along the lines of leveraging a parent or guardians disproportionate physical size and strength to inflict pain and shaming onto a child with the intended goal of changing that child's behavior.

The rationale is that while this violence is wrong, it is an acceptable (not optimal) means to the end of producing an adult who will live in harmony with the expected behaviors of the adult or guardian.

How does that match with your understanding of violence in this context?
    I have one definition for violence done by a human.
    behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

Corporal punishment is a tool. Intent is all on the person employing that tool.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Don't know Freud. Reward and punishment works. IMO the drugs are just money making bullshit. Children are supposed to have active inquiring minds, they are supposed to be curious about the world and surroundings. How else does one learn?
    I’m not sure what you are asking about. I’m not making a statement about medications.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Very impressive reply.
    Thank you! I am well known for my extremely witty remarks, especially when it is in response to foolish people. (Please note EXTREME droll humor is intended with this response. Vocal tones are limited with the written word, and with the limited perceptions of those of low intellect.!)

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I’m not sure what you are asking about. I’m not making a statement about medications.
    As I stated with a minimalist response, "Don't know Freud.", the doctor, not the line of tool accessories. Apparently your education is lacking in some areas, but then again so is mine.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Most people who spank their kids only do so once or twice in that child's life time. It's usually well earned and a last resort and the child knows it's in the tool box.

People abuse their children with belts switches and iui ts just as damaging to the child and society as lack of discipline.

Model all the behavior you want but if the time comes to set a boundary and you dont you are ultimately a failure who subjects society to entitled terrors and we have to deal with them.

Not all kids get spanked. Usually a single swat on the ass, yes hurting the child's feelings, when they learn the word no and become defiant and other methods fail is all it takes most of their lives. Obviously when they are old enough to grasp the concept.

I submit more little bastards are created by parents who model behavior and beg and plead with kids to follow rules the parents refuse to enforce than kids who get an ass whipping when appropriate. The prisons and streets are full if them.

I get just as frustrated with parents who mis use corporal punishment as with those who fail to use it appropriately. Both are wrong and both are damaging their children.

Top Bottom