• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I have both and the AR is much more accurate than the Mini. The only reason I hang on to the Mini is that it's a collectible police issue rifle with a history.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The AR is definitely not high maintenance. For what it's worth, stripping and lubing an AR properly takes only a couple of minutes. In my experience, it's far more reliable than the Mini 14.

AR is the better rifle all around.

Geez.. just cause you like to hear the rifle go "bang" every time you pull the trigger!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Would never part with my AR. It's accurate, reliable, and extremely versatile. Owned a Mini 14 years ago and tried real hard to love it but finally sold it to a friend because I just couldn't make it shoot accurately. I'd still love to have one if only it could shoot 2" groups or better at 100 yds. (without spending a lot of money on modifications).

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I don't get it. Ruger makes some quality guns. Why are some of them so mediocre?

Barrels have been a problem with Rugers for a long time. Until recently, Ruger sub'd out barrels to a low bidder supplier. IIRC Ruger paid $700 for a barrel. You cannot expect much from a $7 barrel. They have begun to make their own barrels and quality has gotten better.

The Mini-14 started life as the XGI. This was going to be a modernized M-14 rifle. Ruger hyped it to the gun rags and then could not produce. The XGI had so many problems they scrapped the idea of a .308 rifle. They took what they had learned and made the Mini-14.

The Mini was designed as a casual, inexpensive plinking rifle. They took that basic platform and produced some interesting and useful variants (see AC-556 and GB). Most people agree the barrel is too thin and develops some very bad harmonics when heated up. This results in erratic groups.

Ruger makes some outstanding firearms. Their single action revolvers, single shot rifles (#1 and #3), and .22 rimfires are the envy of the gun industry. The D/A auto pistols are hot/cold depending on the gun and the user. The M-77 rifles do not seem to be consistantly accurate. One example may be MOA and the next patterns like a shotgun. If you find one that shoots good, keep it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On the Mini 14, the gas piston is attached to the barrel (and stationary) and the gas cylinder moves with the operating rod! It seems a bit backwards but it is super simple, easy to clean and unless someone loosens the block holding the gas piston to the barrel to misalign it, it is fool proof.

The Mini 14 is a wonder of operating simplicity. Short of bending the operating rod in hand-to-hand festivities or bending the scrawny barrel, there isn't a lot to malfunction on a Mini.

Sidebar here........... I used to laugh at the GB law enforcement version of the Mini
    14 as it has a bayonet lug on the barrel for an M-16 style bayonet. That barrel is so skinny that it would bend like a noodle in close combat!

OK....back now.......

Contrast that to an AR-15 where the gas piston is inside the BOLT and a long, tiny metal tube directs powder gasses to it. The alignment of the long gas tube and the pickup tube on the bolt carrier that matches with it are crucial. Every time the bolt comes forward, those must match up perfectly.

Installed on the AR-15 piston are 3 small compression rings which are prone to get clogged with gunk. The piston itself is a place for carbon build up that must be scraped off. The system is ripe for contaminants and crusty grit to clog the gas system.

Stating the obvious, why in the world should grit and powder gas be directed back into the loading/locking area where the rifle is attempting to stage another firing sequence? AK's and SKS's shun that method and keep the gas system totally separated from the loading/locking system. Could that be why they are the most reliable rifles on Earth?

It is said that the AR-15 "POOPS WHERE IT EATS". That explains the gas system perfectly.

While I'm ragging on the AR-15, let us not forget the small "cotter pin" that retains the firing pin and another part into the bolt. The M-16 military manual states the rifle will EXPLODE if that pin is not correctly installed! I have several AR's and I keep a dozen of those pins in my spare parts box.

Summed up, the Mini is hands down the most reliable of the two rifles and is a wonder of simplicity. It will, however NEVER shoot as accurately as the AR-15. You could spend another $500 to tune up a Mini where it will approach the accuracy of an AR but........... if that is necessary, why not buy the AR in the first place?

Flash

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    The AR's I fired in the Army for a decade did not have many reliability issues. At most range sessions we would fire 3-400 rounds each. Qualification would only consist of 40 rds but when you were on a moving target range or just had to get rid of ammo the M16A2 worked well. I did this with both Colt and FN M16A2's on a regular basis.
    I will not say that I never had malfunctions because I did (bolt override,double feed) but it never failed me. Most of my malfunctions were with blanks and using a BFA.
    We were a front line combat arms unit (Infantry) so our weapons were well maintained and replaced when damaged. Other units I spoke with sometimes kept their old junk guns around since they were not high on the priority list for replacement.

This is the proverbial AK/AR debate, AK being overall more "reliable" than the AR but every person I know who carries a rifle into harms way uses AR or another brand....none of them carry an AK. I think they like to hit what they aim at. Disclaimer: I own an AK and an AR. I prefer my AR.

That being said I welcome the new gas piston systems on the new AR's.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    If I can find a mini for under $500 ill get that vs. the ar. I need an all purpose "ranch rifle" not concerned about accuracy . I can buy a ar kit for $500 something.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You can do more with teh ar than any other rifle.

Pistol caliber

You get the idea.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    well like I said if the mini costs more than 500 ill get the ar. I cant justify spending $700 to 900 on a rifle. Im not a big spender, goes against my principles. If all im going to do to target shoot and kill varmints and maybe some small to medium game. I think the ranch rifle is what I need.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    But remember, The actualy cost of the AR, even at $900.00, would be much cheaper if you consider everything you can do with that one lower.

With the Mini, you have a 5.56mm rifle.

With the AR, you have a .22 and anything else you can buy an upper for.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    But remember, The actualy cost of the AR, even at $900.00, would be much cheaper if you consider everything you can do with that one lower.

With the Mini, you have a 5.56mm rifle.

With the AR, you have a .22 and anything else you can buy an upper for.

Thats probably a bit of an exageration. A .22 upper or conversion kit is going to cost you several hundred dollars. . . which is a lot more than just getting a .22 rifle.

The calibers, there is a lot, but they are all relatively similar (except maybe a .458 socom) and pretty expensive. And again, the uppers will cost you $500.

I'm not arguing against an AR (I'm drooling over a 6.8 spc upper), it just isn't the cheapest way to go for a multi-caliber platform)

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I agree its not cheap, but here is how I look at it:
    1. I have the Lower, SBR'd
    2. Its got the Magpul UBR stock
    3. A JP Enterprises Match Trigger
    4. Sling mount system
    5. Ambi selector, mag release

It is one lower that uses the same controls and trigger for all uppers except for a 9mm upper.

True, the .22 upper may cost as much as a 10/22, but there is a value to having one set of controls and one trigger to get used to and master.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm just saying that I place a larger value the commonality of having one lower receiver that is properly set up.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I see what you are saying, and I'm not knockin it. There are just cheaper ways of getting to shoot many different calibers.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Simply put, the AR is the only platform out there that I know of able to go from a .22lr to a .50bmg in a couple seconds with the press of just 2 pins. That is the definition of versatility. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm just saying that I place a larger value the commonality of having one lower receiver that is properly set up.

To add to this, it's like adding a match grade trigger assembly and adjustable ergonomics to every potential gun you'd buy. You can invest in the quality components once, and have the ease of having to carry just an upper and a magazine rather than entire gun.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    If the mini can shoot 5.56 and .223 thats all I need. Like I said previously I dont spend big money on guns. Im not into custom triggers, or different calibers etc. Thanks for all the info. though.

markas70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Austin
    Nothing wrong with the mini for what your doing. I had one till I could afford the AR.The many differant options for the AR can keep you almost gun poor.

Top Bottom