• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I am a complete newb to scopes. The only optic I've ever put on a rifle was my AimPoint Pro on my AR. I inherited a Rem 700 .243 with a K-Mart (seriously) scope and that rifle needs an upgrade. I'd like to hit steel at 500 yards or so. After searching around a bit, I suspect a Mildot reticle would be best. At least 18x I think. I think I'd prefer a second focal plane one. Budget <$500. Nikon Buckmasters? Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle
    Hurley's Gold

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm very fond of Nikon's scopes. Check OpticsPlanet - you can often find deals. All of my glass except for two are Nikon. One is a Barska that was just too good to pass up, the other a Pine Ridge from Cabela's on a .22LR.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Probably an excellent scope for your needs is the Mueller APV 4-14x. It's has a front parallax focus with a duplex reticle. Warranty is excellent. If something is wrong, they'll send you a new one...no questions asked. I like expensive scopes, but this one is about the best value for the buck out there today. I wouldn't put it on a .300 Magnum, but a .243 is perfect. The guys over at RimfireCentral.com rave about it. I'd recommend staying away from the mil dot. It's complicated and not needed. The dots are calibrated for only one distance and one power. On the cheaper scopes, the mil dot calibration is usually off...sometimes way off.

Another excellent scope, with mil dots that work, is the fixed 10X from SWFA. Outstanding optics in a power used by the military. Perfect for long range work, and only $300.00. A VERY rugged scope with precise click adjustments and great glass. If you want a mil dot, this is the way to go.
    Bob

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You are gonna get bombarded with different recommendations Robert.

The scope you are looking at will work but high power optics are generally for varmint hunting. They make it hard to find something like deer at normal hunting ranges (60-100 yards). That may not be a concern though.

I tend to overscope though (run higher power than what is generally needed). I like it for target identification at longer ranges.

Also, I am an optic snob. If it doesn't have a lifetime warranty I walk away. I prefer Leupold and Vortex as my go to brands.

My deer rifle (AR10 in .308) wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Leupold with standard plex reticle. I feel it has a good low end for normal deer hunting but will also give enough magnification to easily shoot 1000 yards.

Just my $0.02 though. You have many options within your budget.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you are going to do anything long range you need to have a scope that will dial and dial repeatable. The Nikon doesn't do that well. Now you can use the mildot as a bdc but after about 300yds it's not very reliable.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You are gonna get bombarded with different recommendations Robert.

LOL - Believe you me, I was thinking the same thing before I even posted. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. At least I've moved from the clueless what to get category to the suggestions to look at five or so.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I know a guy that can shoot the nuts off a squirrel at 300 meters with a Mosin with iron sights. I will send you his contact info. He can give you some pointers.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If you are going to do anything long range you need to have a scope that will dial and dial repeatable. The Nikon doesn't do that well. Now you can use the mildot as a bdc but after about 300yds it's not very reliable.

I've not had this problem on my Nikon glass. I actually prefer their turrets, especially the way they "reset." I use their BDC reticle in most cases.

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    SW of Denton
    A scope that would serve you well is Nikon's M-308 4-16 BDC reticle. The BDC will allow you to dial in whatever cal. and ammo you choose to get the greatest possible longrange accuracy. I have used this scope to bang steel out to 700 yards. Backed by Nikon's No Fault warranty there's one less thing to worry about. Built on the MONARCH platform it has Nikon's top of the line glass,coating's and tube. This optic is currently under a Nikon Sponsored Promo as well, $70 off from authorized dealer's. I do PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon and I have absolutely put this optic through a lifetime of shooting with not one issue. I do not do any sales at all, just trying to help you find a quality scope for a great price. Check out some of this site's Sponsor's to see if they can help you out. Drop me a note if you have any question's. I like mine so much I have purchased 3.

M-308-3.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've not had this problem on my Nikon glass. I actually prefer their turrets, especially the way they "reset." I use their BDC reticle in most cases.
    I've seen a few not track correct. Know keep in mind my background is pure long range plus prs so equipment is treated a bit different and more is expected of it due to the longer ranges.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Primary Arms 4-14 FFP

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

IMHO best low price semi long distance scope I have ever owned. Love FFP.
    I looked at one at a gun show and it was decent for the money. I do love FFP too. But the three year warranty made me set it right back down.

A scope is an investment and that just doesn't seem to be a very good one.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I looked at one at a gun show and it was decent for the money. I do love FFP too. But the three year warranty made me set it right back down.

A scope is an investment and that just doesn't seem to be a very good one.
    Several top tier scopes (ie. S&B) only have a warranty of a few years.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Several top tier scopes (ie. S&B) only have a warranty of a few years.
    And that is just crazy to me.

I know Swarovski has an odd warranty too. Lifetime to the original buyer with proof of purchase. Nothing to the second owner (or something like that).

I show my protest with my wallet. To each their own though.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    And that is just crazy to me.

I know Swarovski has an odd warranty too. Lifetime to the original buyer with proof of purchase. Nothing to the second owner (or something like that).

I show my protest with my wallet. To each their own though.
    Same here. Heck the most expensive scope in the world a Hensoldt by Ziess only has a 2yr warranty and it's non transferable.

Mine all have lifetime warranties so no worries here.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom