• Status
    Not open for further replies.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    :green:I would just like to point out that mreed and london have already had muliple post in this thread:green:
    DK Firearms

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I still want 2 logins (Jekyll or Hyde) so I can blame Hyde for rude behavior. Jekyll is such a nice guy that nobody will admonish him, but that Hyde, he's a troublemaker!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the one you need to keep in line.

bob

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To be honest, there seems to be a trend of mods "preemptively" locking threads without a violation of the Code of Conduct. Has there been some "Pre-Crime" unit formed that none of us are aware of? An example would be the discussion about the legality of LEOs asking for the CHL/LTC Of someone who is OC'ing. Just because people were disagreeing is no guarantee that the thread was heading down the toilet. In fact, there is no explanation as to why it was locked.

What's ironic is that some clear violations of the Code of Conduct seem to be tolerated, especially in the politics section (which I still feel doesn't belong on a gun forum. If you want to discuss such matters, there are plenty of other places to voice your opinion).

While overall there seems to be some consistency in the moderation on here, it could be better. Maybe a broader selection of moderators would help, but not too many as that will only make things worse; and the admins need to oversee everything the mods do and arbitrate any complaints instead of the moderators themselves. Sorry, but letting the person the complaint is against make the determination as to whether it is valid is ridiculous. Do you ever actually expect someone to overrule themselves?!?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The thread was closed, because the question in the original post was answered.
    Quite well I might add.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The thread was closed, because the question in the original post was answered.
    Quite well I might add.

Really? What was the final answer, because it was still be debated the last time I checked.

But has it gotten to the point that when one person expresses their opinion in a thread, the mods consider it to be the final word and it cannot be discussed any further?

Again, preemptive closing of threads without a clear violation of the code of conduct. When was a decision made to close a thread because it's been "answered?" What if someone has a related question down the road, they have to start a new thread; and then get bashed for not searching.

There are far too many threads being closed without good cause.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

What's ironic is that some clear violations of the Code of Conduct seem to be tolerated, especially in the politics section (which I still feel doesn't belong on a gun forum. If you want to discuss such matters, there are plenty of other places to voice your opinion).
    ?!?

I am sorry that someone is coming to your home and forcing you to click on the politics section. That has to suck to be sitting in your home, drinking a beer, and some indomitable force comes and forces you to look at something you don't like. Again, my condolences.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To be honest, there seems to be a trend of mods "preemptively" locking threads without a violation of the Code of Conduct. Has there been some "Pre-Crime" unit formed that none of us are aware of? An example would be the discussion about the legality of LEOs asking for the CHL/LTC Of someone who is OC'ing. Just because people were disagreeing is no guarantee that the thread was heading down the toilet. In fact, there is no explanation as to why it was locked.

Sometimes threads are locked because they will simply create, or have created plenty of disagreement and all arguments have been made and worded in just about every way possible. Letting them continue just results in the continued beating of a poor dead horse resulting in nothing more than friction between members.

We make judgment calls to the best of our ability based on passed forum experience. Rarely does the call please everyone, but hopefully pleases most and works out in the best interest of the forum and its members.

Ahh, the politics section. Yes, it's a trouble spot that results in the most heated discussions and often brings out the worst in some of our members. The best way of dealing with it is discussed often. You are correct in that this is a gun forum, but politics and guns tend to get mixed together quite often. For every member that wants the section gone, another will wish it to stay just as strongly. It also generates traffic and can attract new members to the forum.

Hopefully we will have a good solution soon, in the mean time I can only recommend avoiding the section if you feel it's content isn't worth your time.

While overall there seems to be some consistency in the moderation on here, it could be better. Maybe a broader selection of moderators would help, but not too many as that will only make things worse;

We actually have a pretty broad mix at the moment which offers many points of view on different subjects. I do believe it has helped a great deal.

and the admins need to oversee everything the mods do and arbitrate any complaints instead of the moderators themselves. Sorry, but letting the person the complaint is against make the determination as to whether it is valid is ridiculous. Do you ever actually expect someone to overrule themselves?!?

This already happens. Actions taken by mods are known to all other mods and admin. And given the varying views among moderators there is a pretty good base for us to view each other's actions and give opinions. If something is unjustified one mod can undo another mods work, none have authority over the others aside from admin and owner. We have the ability to overrule each other (so to speak) if needed. Although I'm not sure of any such incidents warranting such action.

We all have the best interest of the forum and its membership at heart, but with views that differ enough to prevent any one mod from going overboard in any direction.

There is also the ability for Sig_Fiend to overrule any actions taken.

There is no such thing as "perfect moderation" because every member will have a slightly different view of the perfect way in which the forum should be run. The best we can do is keep the forum running smoothly in a which which keeps the majority of members mostly happy.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am sorry that someone is coming to your home and forcing you to click on the politics section. That has to suck to be sitting in your home, drinking a beer, and some indomitable force comes and forces you to look at something you don't like. Again, my condolences.

Wow, clever response; but that still doesn't mean it's appropriate for Texas Gun Talk.

If we're going to allow politics, then why not religion, evolution, transgender identities and every other debatable subject under the sun? Then the original purpose of the forum can be buried in all the bullshit that is unnecessary; just so a few have to spew their political beliefs on here and not on a political forum...

Sorry to argue logic against your witty reply, but actually it shows why such topics and discussions need to be purged from this site, whether you like them or not...

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Again, preemptive closing of threads without a clear violation of the code of conduct. When was a decision made to close a thread because it's been "answered?" What if someone has a related question down the road, they have to start a new thread; and then get bashed for not searching.

There are far too many threads being closed without good cause.

If anything, it creates a "safe space" worth of praise from SJW's... :)

Wow, clever response; but that still doesn't mean it's appropriate for Texas Gun Talk.

If we're going to allow politics, then why not religion, evolution, transgender identities and every other debatable subject under the sun? Then the original purpose of the forum can be buried in all the bullshit that is unnecessary; just so a few have to spew their political beliefs on here and not on a political forum...

Sorry to argue logic against your witty reply, but actually it shows why such topics and discussions need to be purged from this site, whether you like them or not...

I think you'd be surprised to find out that guns and politics are very, very intertwined in Texas. Hell, in the nation. Just ask the NRA. Or SCOTUS.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If anything, it creates a "safe space" worth of praise from SJW's... :)

I think you'd be surprised to find out that guns and politics are very, very intertwined in Texas. Hell, in the nation. Just ask the NRA. Or SCOTUS.

I have no problem with gun-related political discussions, those have always been allowed on here; but some of the dribble that shows up in the "off-topic politics" section can be downright embarrassing!

I had to look up what a SJW is. That's a new term, but an old concept simply applied to social media.

Once again, it appears such actions are protecting those who are "sensitive" and may get their feelings hurt. I guess that's who this forum is catering to these days, and the reason why we've lost many valuable members over the years...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    MajorMadMax, I'm willing to have a respectful discussion with you. However, if I can't get the same in return the discussion will be short lived.

As to those being "witty", I would appreciate that you refrain from fanning any flames. It's neither helpful, nor appropriate for this thread.

I appreciate y'all's cooperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Haven't had any problems with or complaints about the moderators here......I did notice the newer Mod titles and was fine with the choices.

I don't always post a lot, but do read as many of the threads which pique my interest that I have time for........

jmho......

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom