ARJ Defense ad

More confirmation: Police have no obligation to protect the public...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The premise is sound, and the judge's decision correct. The supreme court has ruled on this as well.

At least a couple times I know of. Police have no legal obligation to protect anybody.

Also, this guy's background bolsters my argument against knife disarms. Get within arm's reach of someone with a knife? You gonna bleed!!

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The article stated the police cowered in the trains operators compartment while an unarmed civilian fought with the attacker trying to end the killing spree. They should have been fired immediately.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The premise is sound, and the judge's decision correct. The supreme court has ruled on this as well.

I'm aware that the Supreme Court has ruled on this as well. That decision defies credulity. This expands on it, though - apparently, the police also have no obligation to stop a crime in progress?

So what, exactly, is the point of having a police force then?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The article stated the police cowered in the trains operators compartment while an unarmed civilian fought with the attacker trying to end the killing spree. They should have been fired immediately.

No, the article said the man suing for many claimed the police hid. A man who describes himself as a martial arts enthusiast. Other than the claims of a man who fancies himself a martial arts hero, there is no evidence in that article that the cops hid. I am not claiming they did or didn't, I am saying you are claiming facts you simply do not know.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm aware that the Supreme Court has ruled on this as well. That decision defies credulity. This expands on it, though - apparently, the police also have no obligation to stop a crime in progress?

Unless the law requires action, then they do not have an obligation. I understand your second question is rhetorical.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There

Amen.

*Bows to Zod*

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, the article said the man suing for many claimed the police hid. A man who describes himself as a martial arts enthusiast. Other than the claims of a man who fancies himself a martial arts hero, there is no evidence in that article that the cops hid. I am not claiming they did or didn't, I am saying you are claiming facts you simply do not know.

Martial artist or not, you get within arm's reach of someone that's got a knife who wants to cut you, you're getting cut. Knives are a bitch. Rather be nose to nose with someone that's got a gun than someone with a knife...

And yes I agree; the decision is correct.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Martial artist or not, you get within arm's reach of someone that's got a knife who wants to cut you, you're getting cut. Knives are a bitch. Rather be nose to nose with someone that's got a gun than someone with a knife...

And yes I agree; the decision is correct.

I agree with you about getting cut.

My point is itchin is taking the word of a man that is suing for money and fancies himself a martial artist, based on one sentence in a news article, that the cops did nothing and in fact hid. Perhaps they did. Maybe the story is completely inaccurate. We just do not know, and no judgment can be made based on the information at hand.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Unless the law requires action, then they do not have an obligation. I understand your second question is rhetorical.

You understand incorrectly. If protecting the public from criminals is not in the job description, and neither is stopping a crime in progress, then what is the purpose of a police force? Traffic enforcement? Investigation in the aftermath of a crime? Police work is starting to sound downright cushy by these definitions.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree with you about getting cut.

My point is itchin is taking the word of a man that is suing for money and fancies himself a martial artist, based on one sentence in a news article, that the cops did nothing and in fact hid. Perhaps they did. Maybe the story is completely inaccurate. We just do not know, and no judgment can be made based on the information at hand.

I'm with you. Even if they did hide, they aren't obligated under any legal measure.

Your safety is your responsibility.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    Maybe, maybe not. Do you have any facts?

I asked a question based on this statement in the article..... "Lozito, 42, a martial-arts enthusiast, claimed cops hid in the motorman’s cab while he disarmed Gelman as the madman slashed at his face, hands, neck and head."

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    All we have to go on here is this short article about a man trying to sue the city. We sure don't have to take the word of someone that risked his life to save others. However, I'm not going to suggest that he is a liar just like I'm not going to suggest all cops are cowards.

Top Bottom