Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I realize that the correct answer to my question is "Buy a box of everything and test it yourself."

However, I'm trying to call on the collective wisdom of fellow shooters to make my task a little easier.

I don't reload and won't start anytime soon. I want to find the most accurate ammunition for my Glock 21SF. *Accuracy* is what I'm looking for; I intend to shoot the pistol to the limits of *it's* accuracy, not mine. Terminal performance, muzzle velocity, cleanness and most other factors (except as noted below) are unimportant.

A few other factors - I want full-weight ammo, 230 grains or more. Bullet design is completely unimportant; I assume I'll wind up with a round or flat-nose FMJ round but it doesn't matter. No aluminum or steel case ammo; too many ranges prohibit it. Finally, money isn't a huge factor but the premium self-defense ammo that costs over a dollar a round is just too expensive. I'm looking to pay around half that or less.

Within those parameters, their are about a dozen different loads available at most major web retailers. Visit multiple sites and you wind up with a list of 20 or more. Testing that many loads is serious work and far more trouble than I'm willing to take on for what I intend to be a fun project. I've been reading online reviews until I'm bleary-eyed and it seems that Magtech and Speer tend to pop up most often with "surprisingly accurate, even at the low price" comments. I'll buy some of each and check them out.

Still, what experiences have you had? Some ammo simply has a better reputation for accuracy than others and I'd like to narrow down the number of brands for my initial testing to a half-dozen or so.

Where have you stumbled across surprisingly good accuracy from plain ol' 45 ball ammo?

TIA for any help,

Ben
    Venture Surplus ad

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Particular guns are going to push ammo differently.What range are you going to be shooting at? If you are shooting within 10 yards, i don't think ammo will be particularly different.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Particular guns are going to push ammo differently.What range are you going to be shooting at? If you are shooting within 10 yards, i don't think ammo will be particularly different.

This. And to add...

If you want more accurate, start loading your own. A huge part of accuracy is consistency, and a huge part of consistency is quality control. Assuring consistent powder charges, seating depths, etc. is where you're going to find the biggest gains IMO. With ultra-premium ammo, you'll pay for it, since that means spending more time on QC.

I haven't really noticed one brand as being more accurate than another.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The thread now gives me a total of 7 brands generic 45 ball ammo to test and I think that's enough.

Thanks to all for the replies.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, I'd go handloads. Consistency in velocity is going to make a HUGE difference at that range.
    I may have to but, as I posted in more detail in another thread about the cost of handloading, my particular circumstances mean I'm willing to pay quite a bit of money to avoid having to spend time setting up to reload then pulling that handle.

Just for grins, I'll throw in a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and see if it's as much better as its reputation would indicate. If it is, I'll practice with the other stuff and use the the Gold Medal when it counts. At nearly $2 per round, though, I can't afford to practice with it.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    What? I've rung gongs at that range with my P220.

I could probably do it with my relos. But I have tested mine and control quality. He wants to push the limits of his gun without doing the work to figure out whats best.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've rung gongs at that range with my P220.
    That's my goal, to see if I can do so consistently.

If you're just having fun and playing games (yes, 200m is rifle range for anything serious, I admit that) most pistol shooters give up and consider shots impossible long before their pistols have run out of accuracy. Check this out:

images3.jpg

Yes, that's a world's record, but it's a good way to illustrate my point. The guy stood up, held a .22lr in one hand, and in less than 2 hours put 60 rounds into a group about 4 inches across, 55 yards away. The average pistol shot will call you a liar if you tell them such a level of accuracy is even possible.

I'm just playing with the notion of trying to hit a fairly large metal target at up to 200 meters consistently with what most people would consider a totally unsuitable pistol and iron sights. I think it'll turn out to be a fun project.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You ought to see what the guys with the Trijicon RMR'd Glocks are doing.

I've shot 1/5 scale steel rams at 100 yds with both my 9mm and .40 pistols with pretty good success. When you find your sweet spot, it's on like donkey kong!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    He wants to push the limits of his gun without doing the work to figure out whats best.
    Not really. I'm willing to do quite a bit of work, actually. I just don't have time to reload. My days are spent caring for a very ill sister and since I never had a family of my own (nor did she), I figure I'm willing to substitute money for time for (I hope) quite a while. I'd rather spend time with my last living family member than weigh powder charges and pull press handles. After she's gone, I'm sure I'll reload tons of ammo. I always enjoyed reloading almost as much as shooting when I was young. Currently, though, I have other priorities.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I could probably do it with my relos. But I have tested mine and control quality. He wants to push the limits of his gun without doing the work to figure out whats best.

I didn't push that hard, and I think I was using factory loads (or my handloads that have almost no development time in them beyond, "this combo is safe and functions 100% - run it!"). The kicker was that big XS sight sitting on the front of my slide...

That's my goal, to see if I can do so consistently.

If you're just having fun and playing games (yes, 200m is rifle range for anything serious, I admit that) most pistol shooters give up and consider shots impossible long before their pistols have run out of accuracy. Check this out:

images3.jpg

Yes, that's a world's record, but it's a good way to illustrate my point. The guy stood up, held a .22lr in one hand, and in less than 2 hours put 60 rounds into a group about 4 inches across, 55 yards away. The average pistol shot will call you a liar if you tell them such a level of accuracy is even possible.

I'm just playing with the notion of trying to hit a fairly large metal target at up to 200 meters consistently with what most people would consider a totally unsuitable pistol and iron sights. I think it'll turn out to be a fun project.

Yeah, running pretty much anything above the bottom of the barrel is good enough for seeing if you can get consistent-ish hits at that distance. The most fun part is finding hold-over at that distance. I was pretty much at the bottom of my XS Big Dot when I took my shots. It was kind of hard to hear impact at that range, too. .45 ACP doesn't have a lot of speed to begin with, and those big ol' bullets aren't very aerodynamic. It's running pretty out of steam by 200 (still wouldn't want to get hit by it!).

Anything inside 100 yards, I feel like is a shot worth taking with a pistol. People really do get too comfortable with shooting at 7 yards and thinking "good enough". I've run into too many people at the range that'll point at a 6" group on a target at 21 feet and compliment themselves with a "not too bad" or "pretty good, eh?" Dude, you should be able to hit the numbers on the goddamn target at that range. The little scoring guide in the upper left of the CHL targets? That should be a VERY doable shot at 7 yards with a full-size pistol.

Top Bottom