• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    So if you dont know im fairly young, 16. After seeing lots of SHTF,WROL, and randomly imagening scenarios. I took it as my own responsibility and wanting to survive, to form a bug out bag, make a plan, save money for a rifle in the future and get adequete range time.

Yes, i want to live incase SHTF, i really do not want to see friends, and family die. :( i am not getting the support i hoped for. My dad said im paranoid, my mom just says why would you think about that. Maybe its the asian morals kicking in, i dont know.

I just wanna prepare my family, the way i see it as of right now is ME, with a bug out bag, a rifle,ammo etc. I will be prepared. God frobid it ever happens. I really dont think i can protect my whole family. Let alone convince them to even make a plan, they'll just laugh at me. I DONT want to leave them behind, but if it comes to it, and shtf riots everywhere, i will leave. Hopefully with a prepared family with knowledge on how to survive.

Anyone in the sugarland area want to form a plan? :)

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm in Sugar Land but I'm sure the government is watching me enough already as it is

And I'd save for an AK, but you never know how much it will cost by the time you're 18 lol.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    You have good reading material for it? I'm actually in the process of writing a speech about the importance of having a plan but I've got all my good reading material at home. I can post a list later about some good books on the subject. Tough to put together a good collection of stuff simply due to legal constraints of your age, but at least your head is in the right place.

My mother is an anti-gun Liberal Democrat and after she read a book called "One Second After" she was convinced about the importance of gun ownership, having a plan, and stockpiling basic necessities for a bug out or a bug in. Maybe you could convince your folks to read that book? Actually my mother read that book on her own and told ME how important it was to read the book if that tells you anything about how convincing it is.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    +1 on what CW said.
    At least your aware. Nothing wrong with being prepared. We hope it is something that never has to be used. I enjoy my life as it is.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As already stated, there is no problem with being prepared; fail to plan, plan to fail as many say!

A healthy amount of paranoia is not a bad thing, but don't go overboard; the chances of the apocalypse are still pretty slim and you’d be better off preparing for more likely scenarios such as being lost in the woods or injured without medical aid being readily available. That is why I always liked the Boy Scouts, they teach the essentials that every young man should know. Our society would be a much better place if more people would go through such programs.

As for firearms, you still have a few years before you legally possess a firearm without your parents’ permission; but in the mean time remember that it is not your responsibility to protect your family but your father’s! If those “Asian morals” are strong in your family than honoring your mother and father are imperative. While it is commendable that you want to look out for your family’s well-being, you are still under your parent’s tutelage and you must respect that until you are old enough to be out on your own.

In the mean time, learn as much as you can. Knowledge is your most powerful weapon in any survival situation, enthusiasm can only take you so far…

Cheers! M2

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Thank you everyone for your answers, and i well recommend that book to my parents CW.

Haha Jakkash, actually i do plan on getting a Yugo M70 in a few years. Hopefully they dont raise in price by the time im 18! $500 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

And MajorMadMax, yea i know its not my responsibility but my dad can only do so much without the whole family being prepared. He's been through basic in the Philippines, way back in late 80s so i dont know what i learned over there maybe knife tactics (thats what we're known for lol). But at least he knows how to fire a rifle properly. And im not preparing for apocalypse, well im just preparing for anything. You never know what can happen. Hopefully i can convince them! :/

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The best thing you can do now to prepare for SHTF is to study hard in school so you can get into a good College or Military Academy.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Thank you everyone for your answers, and i well recommend that book to my parents CW.

Haha Jakkash, actually i do plan on getting a Yugo M70 in a few years. Hopefully they dont raise in price by the time im 18! $500 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

And MajorMadMax, yea i know its not my responsibility but my dad can only do so much without the whole family being prepared. He's been through basic in the Philippines, way back in late 80s so i dont know what i learned over there maybe knife tactics (thats what we're known for lol). But at least he knows how to fire a rifle properly. And im not preparing for apocalypse, well im just preparing for anything. You never know what can happen. Hopefully i can convince them! :/

Few years ago you could get new AKM's for $250 LOL.

Be sure to keep a balance. Don't let your childhood slip away because you were devoting all your time to prepare for what might happen.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    my prediction is we have AT LEAST 10 more years b4 the USA collapses(and it WILL, trust me). do good in school, get ino a good college, graduate, and get a good career so you can get lots of money and resources to adequately prepare yourself. but as for right NOW, get a bug out bag with enough food, water, supplies to keep you ALIVE for 72 hrs. and a .22 caliber firearm. rifle or pistol. lots of range time.

also read THIS book: Amazon.com: Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse (9781569755990): James Wesley Rawles: Books

buy ammo and toilet paper

and dont get too carried away with buying a whole bunch of survival shit. knowledge is power.

remember one last thing. who gives a shit about nukes? all it takes for America to kick the bucket is for the trucks to stop running.

when SHTF, be Christian in your charity and do what you can to help, but keep the big picture in your head. the sheeple WILL die. sometimes you have to let the sheep die or leave them behind. even if its your family. im in the same boat as you. im 18, and i start my freshman yr at TTU this fall. my whole family thinks im crazy and paranoid. but we will see whos still breathing when it all goes down.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    @Stumpy man i hope it is at least 10 years! It will give me time to actually get myself together. And I know sheeple will die :(, its just that i wanna prevent that from happening by at LEAST getting prepared maybe we'll have a chance. And in 2 years, when i'm 18, i will get range time and take survival classes etc.

@Charlie,Texan2,Bithabus Of course i will get a good education! Actually i might try to get to west point. But very hard to get into.

@txinvestigator: yea i know most people my age are mostly into gangs,sex,SLAP-boxing. <-- wtf at least really box or dont fight at all. Slapping is stupid.

@Jakkash really $250! Wow, hope it doesnt go up to $750 when im 18 :(. 1 or 2 years ago at academy a 10/22 use to be $100 now they are $200, oh trust me i keep a balance. I do alot of things with the family,jrotc,sports. I just think of these scenarios randomly,

But as much as i hate to say it, we might be in trouble. UK and Australia already has no guns allowed, they were taken away, they can't even have black colored airsoft rifles. So much crime went up in Australia, they just want to disarm citizens. If government does take our guns, we can always go to a back alley dealer LOL, its true tough, criminals will always have guns.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Compared to me, you all are extremely paranoid lol. I think the US of A will still be here in 20 years. It's more like a "it can never happen to me" sort of false sense of security.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    @Jakkash really $250! Wow, hope it doesnt go up to $750 when im 18 :(. 1 or 2 years ago at academy a 10/22 use to be $100 now they are $200, oh trust me i keep a balance. I do alot of things with the family,jrotc,sports. I just think of these scenarios randomly,

Ruger 10/22 is a great choice. I've got one for my own survival needs with a 2-7x33 Redfield scope on it iirc. The book I mentioned before, One Second After, illustrates the importance of small game hunting in a survival scenario. .22 ammo will become a valuable commodity in a SHTF scenario, so stocking up while it's cheap is a good idea.

I'm the sort of person that likes to live a paperless lifestyle. I have an Amazon Kindle and buy all my books that way. That said, One Second After convinced me of the U.S. vulnerability to an EMP attack. Because of this, I've purchased numerous actual hardcopy books about identifying different plants and how to prepare them for eating.

With a good .22 hunting rifle and a library of books about what is safe to eat I figure I can help a small community survive. Just something to consider.

Top Bottom