• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    One Second After convinced me of the U.S. vulnerability to an EMP attack. Because of this, I've purchased numerous actual hardcopy books about identifying different plants and how to prepare them for eating.

I'm a 3rd of the way through that book, and wow.. I lived just north of charlotte for a couple of years, and have been to most of the places referenced sonar. Mt Mitchell is a breath taking view for sure.
    Target Sports

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Just remember that while guns are an important tool they're not everything.

Having clean drinkable water and a renewable food source are important as well. Those are things you can work on before you're 18. I'd be willing to bet your parents would let you start a vegetable garden in your back yard. Grow some fresh herbs for your mom. Find a local fishing hole and learn how to fish really well (pole, trot lines, etc.). Learn how to start a fire with a metal match or other methods. Start collecting and asking for camping gear for birthdays/Christmas. These are things they may support you on that go along way towards your goal.

I'm big on getting a decent water filter you can throw in a backpack. If you do a lot of camping and hiking you'll soon learn that water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon and is simply too impractical to carry in large quantities. Also, simply boiling it does not remove toxins it just kills germs and viruses. You need a filter or a still.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    ...buy ammo and toilet paper...

Stumpy, Charmin must pay you a commission because you post this in every survival thread

I'm just kidding, but it does bring up a good point. Simple things become important.

TexasBoy - The reading materials mentioned are all great, but if you really want to learn what's important do some backcountry camping. It becomes readily apparent what you NEED and what you don't. I drank bad water a few times growing up, and I was wishing I had brought more of Stumpy's TP Now water filters are a big NEED for me.

TexasBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Sugarland,Texas
    Great post guys, and i will check out those books they look interesting! Off-topic but I take it you guys have B.O.Bs already? What are some universal things that everyone would need besides water filters,food,shelter. All i have to do is supply a list and required money and my dad will get the things. :) Preferably stuff you can get at wal-mart.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    So, the plan is taking shape, you are becoming more aware and increasing your abilities. Where do you intend to Bug Out to?. One of the big things that I have realized (and lived) is that once the shit hits the fan and radios are no longer working, or they are filled with the B.S. that we are currently seeing daily. Everyone will have opinion but little in the way of hard, factual data will be available. ( I lived and worked through major power outages in the Far North, Ice Storms, Floods as well as Hurricanes ) (( Ummm may be that's why friends don't want to live near me ))

Are you looking to re-locate, stay in place, move 50-100 miles or ??. I have heard plans that include, everyone will bug out to "Grandma's Place" use your cell phones and we will set our meeting place and time. (( Wonder how long cell towers will work when SHTF )). Others, have 2 way radio's packed in their kits but not with them when they are at work or on the road. Others, we will load up the 4x4 with 2 extra gas cans and head out 35 towards XX (so will every other person with a vehicle).

Setup your plan so that it allows everyone the knowledge of what is expected of them. We will all gather at X location. We intend to stay at XX until everyone arrives or Y days have passed. Then we will move N?S?E?W? dependent upon the threat/situation/our location to trouble. We will leave messages in a jar/can letting you know where we are going. Grandma's house = South to water, etc.

As most have advised on the forum, read, think, plan, then think, adjust plan. Packing a bug out kit in Jun 2011 and having to use it in December 2014 will also set you up for failure. Part of my BOK lives in my pantry and is rotated out every week/month as needed. As I am older, the things that went into my first deployment bag 30 years ago still find there way into my Bug out Kit today, but they are the things like knife, fire makers, compass. Everything else changed as I got fatter, fitter, bought better things or stuff improved.

Good Luck with the preparations, hope they are never needed. However, I expect you will have cause or need for them before you reach my age.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Having clean drinkable water and a renewable food source are important as well. Those are things you can work on before you're 18. I'd be willing to bet your parents would let you start a vegetable garden in your back yard. Grow some fresh herbs for your mom. Find a local fishing hole and learn how to fish really well (pole, trot lines, etc.). Learn how to start a fire with a metal match or other methods. Start collecting and asking for camping gear for birthdays/Christmas. These are things they may support you on that go along way towards your goal.

I'm big on getting a decent water filter you can throw in a backpack. If you do a lot of camping and hiking you'll soon learn that water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon and is simply too impractical to carry in large quantities. Also, simply boiling it does not remove toxins it just kills germs and viruses. You need a filter or a still.

Coincidentally, Camelbak makes a filtration system that is modularly compatible with their modern line of products. Simply detatch the hose from whatever water pouch you have, connect the filter, and reconnect the hose to the other end of the filter. I used this in Iraq with my 72hr bag and it works pretty well. If you boil water, allow it to cool, then put it in your Camelbak system it'll kill bacteria and filter toxins. Just a thought.

Amazon.com: CamelBak 60084 In-Line Micro Filter: Sports & Outdoors

I have a lot of supplies to construct a B.O.B. and have them centralized so I can create one short notice if need be, but I use my bag regularly for a number of different things. Plus I have this whole cannibalism plan in case SHTF, so I can always eat my neighbors before I have to bug out anywhere.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That's really cool. I've seen some filters that attach to your hose so you can pump it back in, but this would save that much more space and be great if you're trying to cover some ground on foot.

PS - Meant to come by and say hi Monday but the kids were worn out and the babies were crying. You probably saw us waving though. We were in the 2nd fishing boat "float" with about 8 small kids.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Stumpy, Charmin must pay you a commission because you post this in every survival thread

I'm just kidding, but it does bring up a good point. Simple things become important.

TexasBoy - The reading materials mentioned are all great, but if you really want to learn what's important do some backcountry camping. It becomes readily apparent what you NEED and what you don't. I drank bad water a few times growing up, and I was wishing I had brought more of Stumpy's TP Now water filters are a big NEED for me.

cornholio2.jpg

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    I kept a 90 day supply of MREs. 66 gallons of clean potable water. water purification supplies and Katadyn water filters.
    Firestarters, first aid supplies & tylenol, advil, and vicodin.
    1st rate fighting knife, machete, and a Cold Steel Bad Axe. Then the felon repellant. The load was distributed proportionally amongst us.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom