Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Are Kolaches considered a good late lunch?

21238C3D-BBA7-460C-92F2-C5D22152C1AA.jpeg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    For all the HEB shoppers, yall have to try the BRUNUUSTO cheese they have in the deli section. Throw it on the grill, about 5 minutes on each side. Grill it on low to medium heat. We cut it up into squares & usually have it Chappel Hill venison & pork sausage as appetizers.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/brunkow-s-brun-uusto-jalapeno-baked-cheese/1337231
    I have never been able to eat Chappel Hill sausage. When I worked in Passgetdowndena the then health inspector wouldn’t allow it to be sold.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    That’s nothing. Wait until you discover spicy boudin kolache for breakfast. Then you’ll get fat and broke.
    Oh My God....if my Checz Mother in Law were still living she would beat you with her rolling pin for calling it a Kolache. A Kolache is a round flat pastry that has filling such as fruit, poppyseed or even cheese in the middle. What you are calling a Kolache is really known in te Checz community as a Pig in a Blanket. Oh and I love the spicy boudin pig in a blanket. They are also just called pig's for short.
    Kolache:
    PartyTray2008__1_.jpg

Pig in a Blanket also known as a Klobasnek. Most places incorrectly call the Sausage Kolaches.
    depositphotos_308776962-stock-photo-homemade-beef-sausage-kolache-on.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Oh My God....if my Checz Mother in Law were still living she would beat you with her rolling pin for calling it a Kolache. A Kolache is a round flat pastry that has filling such as fruit, poppyseed or even cheese in the middle. What you are calling a Kolache is really known in te Checz community as a Pig in a Blanket. Oh and I love the spicy boudin pig in a blanket. They are also just called pig's for short.
    Kolache:
    PartyTray2008__1_.jpg

Pig in a Blanket also known as a Klobasnek. Most places incorrectly call the Sausage Kolaches.
    depositphotos_308776962-stock-photo-homemade-beef-sausage-kolache-on.jpg
    Growing up in the rust belt many of the neighborhoods were drawn in ethnic clusters. I remember these as kolaches. Pigs in the blanket could include stuffed cabbage depending on area or stuffing.

Having plates of both in front of me right now I’d be a happy boy.

Back home the subject of potica is about along the same lines.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Plural. Koláč (kolach) is singular. We don’t let that get in the way, either.

I love how much the Czech/German heritage has been woven into the fabric of a modern Texas, so I’m willing to overlook technicalities. Besides, klobásník isn’t nearly as fun to say as kolache.
    Many small towns were started in Texas by German immigrants. A lot of their culture and traditions have become a part of Texas and it's culture.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Many small towns were started in Texas by German immigrants. A lot of their culture and traditions have become a part of Texas and it's culture.
    I remember growing up in such a town. Folks would talk about how much trouble they had convincing their grandmothers to stop spending all day gossiping on party lines in German. If they wanted to talk English, fine, but if they only spoke German their families really muzzled them while WWII was hot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    We love Gold Brick Eggs.

We used to do the Kroger store crawl and buy every package we could find but not this year. Found none.

In the 50’s and 60’s they were a small brick shape bar. Then in the 80’s jars appeared to melt the chocolate to harden on ice cream...ate many jars.

The the eggs came along but there is fierce competition.

The Elmer's Chocolate Co.of New Orleans makes Gold Brick, Gold Brick Eggs, Heavenly Hash, & other unique delicacies. They have a website and will ship small case orders directly to you with no added delivery fee. That way is slightly less expensive, too.

If you like their candies, their sister company, Elmer's Snack Foods, makes the ORIGINAL "cheese curls"; "CHEE WEE'S" which are better than the Frito-Lay products in many ways, and will come directly to your home, too. Unlike the better-known products, the Chee Wee's are low fat and low sugar, but still taste lots better.

leVieux

Elmer’s Chocolate Co; see: https://www.elmerchocolate.com/

Elmers Chee Wee's & other tasty snacks: http://www.elmerscheewees.com/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom