Most Iconic Cars of All Time......

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Yes they did! I have worked on few of them over the years.
Was a good engine with good power. Four barrel Holley, if I recall.

The older 413's had Carter AFB's, I think.

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
Axxe55,

GRANTED. Though the IRON DUKE is the only automotive engine (that I can think of) that is routinely used in commercial workboat applications W/O being built or rebuilt with "marine grade" internal parts.

IF you go down to the commercial fish docks on the TX coast, you will see any number of Iron Duke engines, which have had NOTHING done to them for marine applications, except being fitted with a flame arrestor for the carb, a marine reverse gear fitted to the engine & a "dry stack exhaust" installed.

yours, satx
In reality, there are for the most part, no internal mods done to most automotive engines for marine applications. Most of the modifications are safety related to the fuel, ignition and exhaust systems for use in an enclosed environment, or having to meet Coast Guard safety regulations for marine applications.

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
Edit for the Firebird posts.

I only really was interested in the 1st and 2nd Generation Firebirds, the Trans Ams and Formulas. When Pontiac went to the 3rd Generation in 1982, the only V-8 engines available were the GM Corporate Chevrolet engines.

1981, was the last year of a Pontiac V-8 for any Firebird. I also just wasn't a big fan of the new body style either.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
In reality, there are for the most part, no internal mods done to most automotive engines for marine applications. Most of the modifications are safety related to the fuel, ignition and exhaust systems for use in an enclosed environment, or having to meet Coast Guard safety regulations for marine applications.
For newer bowtie-based motors, many builders will make the tolerances slightly looser for marine duty, due to higher loads and rpm.

But a lot of folks just run passenger car crate motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
For newer bowtie-based motors, many builders will make the tolerances slightly looser for marine duty, due to higher loads and rpm.

But a lot of folks just run passenger car crate motors.

The vast majority of all the "marine" engines I have been into for rebuilds or repair, they pretty much had stock internals, with the exception of purpose built racing engines.

Even the Oldsmobile 455 that powered my jet boat I had many years ago, other than the aluminum intake and Holley four barrel, and the water-cooled exhaust manifolds was stock internally.

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
The 1955 Chevrolet could be considered an iconic car for Chevrolet on a couple of different levels.

It was Chevrolet's first successful V-8 engine, and the small block Chevrolet engine could also be considered iconic in it's own right.

Brand new styling for 1955 that also offered many new options that were not available before from Chevrolet, like power windows, air conditioning, power seats, power brakes and power steering.

1955.jpeg

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
The vast majority of all the "marine" engines I have been into for rebuilds or repair, they pretty much had stock internals, with the exception of purpose built racing engines.

Even the Oldsmobile 455 that powered my jet boat I had many years ago, other than the aluminum intake and Holley four barrel, and the water-cooled exhaust manifolds was stock internally.
You’re probably right for 90% of the engines out here.

My experience is mostly with performance builders (I’m a mod on a performance boating forum ). Something about tight tolerances and oil sheer IIRC

Top Bottom