• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am in the market for a used truck. I have a 2011 Honda Civic and I have been rear ended twice (once caused over 9k of damage from a 22 mph collision). I don't feel safe in a small car anymore and I am ready to go back to a truck.

Before I had the Civic I had a 2005 F-150 and I really loved it. The only problem was that it was a single cab and had no power windows or locks. I am currently looking at a 2005 Z-71 Chevy. It has 107k miles and they are asking about 15k for it. The truck is loaded with all of the bells and whistles that you could possibly want, but the high milage is worrying.

What in your opinion is the most reliable full size truck on the market, and what have your experiences been with your trucks?
    DK Firearms

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    From my experience with our fleet at work, I would never buy any Ford with a 6.0l diesel. We have 5 of them and I will be glad to see these phased out. They are constantly down for one reason or another, with less than 70k miles on the oldest one.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I drive a 7.3 daily and would not give it up. It is hard to find one that has not been used and abused now. I have heard the new 6.7 is a good one... haven't known anyone with one long enough to verify that. Our 6.0's just keep letting us down.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Although I would not mind a 250/2500 series truck, I just don't want to drive it around everyday. I would really love this Z71, but the miles just really worry me.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Z71's are nice trucks. I know 107k is not considered low milage, but if the vehicle has been maintained, that is not extremely high either.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    If they have maintenance receipts and all that to prove that the truck was properly maintained, then I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. but see if they would let you bring it to your mechanic for a once over to check for any major issues. (hidden body work, leaks, smoking, needed repairs, etc). Also those trucks from my experience normally need a brake job around 100k. not sure about the price of it, haven't been looking recently to know.

Also, what kind of motor 5.3 or 4.8. Cant remember if the 5.3 is standard on the Z71. Some of the more experienced guys might know some of the quirks with those trucks.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Get you a Toyota, either a Tacoma or 1st Gen Tundra. 100k for a Toyota is nothing ... hasn't even begun to "break in" compared to others where 100k and you've got to replace multiple parts. I've got almost 180k on my 01 Tundra. Everything works like it's supposed to, rides great, hasn't ever failed me. Only work I've done on it is fluid changes and the timing belt at 90k. I'm about to do the timing belt again soon, but it's no big deal. Gets great mileage (~20+/- hwy) too for a full size IF you can keep your foot out of it. The 05-06 Tundras should get even better mileage since they switched to VVTi, got a boost in HP, and went from a 4spd transmission to a 5spd.

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    Also, what kind of motor 5.3 or 4.8. Cant remember if the 5.3 is standard on the Z71. Some of the more experienced guys might know some of the quirks with those trucks.

I loved my 5.3 chevy. Had lots of power, too much at time. Thats in single cab, shortbed. Stock it ran a 15.2 1/4 mile. I would NEVER get a single can shortbed again though just because if I get a truck again, I want room room and more room. Ive been a chevy guy my whole life but oNLY with trucks I will say I love the dodges and fords. Not the small ones like f150 only the big boys. I think they pay more attention to the big ones. I like to stay domestic if I can to support america no matter if its built here or not, its still a america company.

Modestmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Rio Grande Valley
    I'd shy away from anything diesel. Most of my friends with a diesel truck have had pricey repairs. They don't seem to be reliable and parts are expensive.

Edit: the only diesel I'd want would be in a Toyota Hilux.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yea, my '00 5.3 Silverado breaks down constantly with almost 230K miles.

Wait ... my bad. It has had ONE BREAK DOWN which was the alternator. It has needed ZERO MAJOR repairs. YMMV

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    205,000 miles on my 02 Chevy. Replaced the water pump, and changed the oil. Absolutely no trouble.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Yea, my '00 5.3 Silverado breaks down constantly with almost 230K miles.

Wait ... my bad. It has had ONE BREAK DOWN which was the alternator. It has needed ZERO MAJOR repairs. YMMV

I had a friend that had either a 99 or 00 silverado ... had to have the transmission replaced at least 3 times before 36k ... and this was a guy in his 60s, barely got it up to 60 on the highway, so not hotrodding it and beating on it. IIRC, he's had it replaced since then too, but no warranty anymore. I seem to recall that the output shaft snapped on at least one of them.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I bought an 07 Tundra last year and will probably never drive anything other than another Tundra. Mine only has around 52,000 miles on it so I can't speak to longevity, but it's a Toyota and it was made in Texas, so I imagine it will last forever. Plus the 5.7 is one hell of an engine, although the gas mileage is not bank account friendly.

thunderstruck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    La Grange area
    I own a '95 Silverado with 212k miles and an '06 Avalanche with 110k miles. The only major problem I've had was losing reverse in the Silverado at about 158k miles. I've also driven and worked on several different GM, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota trucks that were from about 1970 to 2011. The only ones that I consider somewhat more unreliable than the rest are the 90's-model Dodges.

[EDIT] Gasoline trucks that is. I never really messed with diesels.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I bought an 07 Tundra last year and will probably never drive anything other than another Tundra. Mine only has around 52,000 miles on it so I can't speak to longevity, but it's a Toyota and it was made in Texas, so I imagine it will last forever. Plus the 5.7 is one hell of an engine, although the gas mileage is not bank account friendly.

If funds ever allow, and if my current engine ever quits (or I find another project for it), I want to dump the 5.7 in my 1st Gen. Talk about awesome power/weight ratio as the 2nd Gen are heavier.

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Get you a Toyota, either a Tacoma or 1st Gen Tundra. 100k for a Toyota is nothing ... hasn't even begun to "break in" compared to others where 100k and you've got to replace multiple parts. I've got almost 180k on my 01 Tundra. Everything works like it's supposed to, rides great, hasn't ever failed me. Only work I've done on it is fluid changes and the timing belt at 90k. I'm about to do the timing belt again soon, but it's no big deal. Gets great mileage (~20+/- hwy) too for a full size IF you can keep your foot out of it. The 05-06 Tundras should get even better mileage since they switched to VVTi, got a boost in HP, and went from a 4spd transmission to a 5spd.

+1...My friend has a 01 with 190k and that bad boy just keeps going and going...its ridiculous how reliable it is.

Top Bottom