• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Our work truck is an '04 F-150 with a 160k miles. 90% of them is hauling an 10ft or 12ft enclosed all steel trailer loaded. Can't tell you an average pull weight but they're usually always loaded.

Doing my best to think of the problems.

Both front windows' regulators went out.
    A couple years ago it was having engine problems and I know we had the spark plugs replaced, but can't remember what else. Been running fine.

Honestly nothing catastrophic has happened to it since bought brand new.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I got my 2001 f250 almost two years ago with 180xxx miles on it. Figured I would try it out as an intro into full size tricks. Only replace the radiator cause some idiot tightened the upper hose clamp too tight and cracked it.
    Other than that it runs like a champ.

~Sent from space~

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    NOT Chevy/GMC. I've had constant electrical problems since I got the thing and GM has the most screwed up program for recalls that has ever existed. The instrument cluster has died twice. Passenger side window won't work because the fuse block has some bad connections in it (and is incredibly expensive to replace). CD player went out the first week I had it and GM wouldn't replace it. Sometimes the heat goes on full blast and only shutting the truck down and re-starting it (sometimes several times) makes it turn off. There's some sort of cable problem - subject to a recall - but GM won't replace it for you unless you've actually had certain problems.

My next truck will be a Ford.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I've had 3 Dodge pickups since '98 and no major problems with any of them. Gave the first one to my youngest son when his got wrecked. Bought a 2004 and sold it last year because I just wanted a new one. It had 75000 trouble free miles on it. My new 2011 has the Hemi and all the bells and whistles. Runs like a scalded ape. I know a guy who works in the oilfield and puts between 40000 and 45000 miles a year on a truck. He has had Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. The only truck that will hold up under him at that rate is a 4X4 Dodge with the Cummins diesel. Only truck that hasn't ever left him on the side of the road. The Cummins is probably the best diesel on the market.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It doesn't sound like you are in the market for a diesel but let me agree with the statement about the Ford 6.0l. They are junk and the Ford 6.4l is even worse. Mine has 120k on it and is on it's fourth engine. Yes you read that right, 3 engines blown up already in 113k miles. Avoid both engines no matter how good a deal you find on them.

As with most used vehicles, maintenance and use are the biggest factors on how a vehicle will last. If the previous owner took care of the vehicle then it should last. It just may be hard to find that information out.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    NOT Chevy/GMC. I've had constant electrical problems since I got the thing and GM has the most screwed up program for recalls that has ever existed. The instrument cluster has died twice. Passenger side window won't work because the fuse block has some bad connections in it (and is incredibly expensive to replace). CD player went out the first week I had it and GM wouldn't replace it. Sometimes the heat goes on full blast and only shutting the truck down and re-starting it (sometimes several times) makes it turn off. There's some sort of cable problem - subject to a recall - but GM won't replace it for you unless you've actually had certain problems.

My next truck will be a Ford.

Sounds like you got a lemon!

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I've had 3 Dodge pickups since '98 and no major problems with any of them. Gave the first one to my youngest son when his got wrecked. Bought a 2004 and sold it last year because I just wanted a new one. It had 75000 trouble free miles on it. My new 2011 has the Hemi and all the bells and whistles. Runs like a scalded ape. I know a guy who works in the oilfield and puts between 40000 and 45000 miles a year on a truck. He has had Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. The only truck that will hold up under him at that rate is a 4X4 Dodge with the Cummins diesel. Only truck that hasn't ever left him on the side of the road. The Cummins is probably the best diesel on the market.

cummins has always been the best. we use em in equipment, trucks, etc. now if only theyd drop it into something from factory that had a mix of the best features of dodge/ford/chevy it would be an awesome truck.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I had a 1997 F-150 that had 325k on it when i traded it in, the only thing other than general maintenance i had to change out was an EGR valve and the only issue it had when i traded it in was the AC compressor was dead. But the vehicle was well maintained for its whole life.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Texas
    I'm on my third Tundra, this one is a 2010.. I wouldn't know what to say about there service department other than my regular oil changes.. Only thing that I ever had to replace was a front windshield from a rock.. These trucks are Bulletproof! My dad and his brother now own one as well... I'm sold! Anyone can argue the best, I've owned Chevy, Ford, and a Honda Ridgeline.. Lots of friends with the cheapo dodges, they all have numerous problems with them all, I'm sure one day I'll have something fail.. But I'll stick to Built in Texas!

4ac5d67d-2393-6870.jpg

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thank you guys for your advice. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if they will let me take the Z71 on a few day loan. That way I will be able to take it to the Chevy dealer and have them check it out prior to purchase.

I would absolutely love one of the new Tundras. That 5.7L is a great engine, and the 6 speed automatic works wonders with it. I just don't think that one is currently in my budget. I loved my old Ford, but it was in a word, bland. I really want a truck that is a bit more exciting.

Reading all about the high milage that these trucks rolls on makes me believe in American cars again. My lady friend has a 2005 BMW 525 and it causes nothing but problems. The electrical system has completely gone haywire and it has been sitting in the garage for several weeks as the entire dash / front electrical system is kaput. The kicker is that it was purchased new and only has 39,000 miles on it. Services were done regularly.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thank you guys for your advice.

snip...

Reading all about the high milage that these trucks rolls on makes me believe in American cars again.
    Research and opinions can do just so much, then it's best of luck Senor Hardin.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Get you a Toyota, either a Tacoma or 1st Gen Tundra. 100k for a Toyota is nothing ... hasn't even begun to "break in" compared to others where 100k and you've got to replace multiple parts. I've got almost 180k on my 01 Tundra. Everything works like it's supposed to, rides great, hasn't ever failed me. Only work I've done on it is fluid changes and the timing belt at 90k. I'm about to do the timing belt again soon, but it's no big deal. Gets great mileage (~20+/- hwy) too for a full size IF you can keep your foot out of it. The 05-06 Tundras should get even better mileage since they switched to VVTi, got a boost in HP, and went from a 4spd transmission to a 5spd.
    Same here my 2000 runs great. Rust on frame a bit from 10 years in Illinois but no repairs other then timing belt and water. Have put 500k on Toys in the last 20 years and no repairs other then oil, timing belt, brakes.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'd run away from a 6.0 Ford diesel and not look back.

Buy a 4.8 or 5.3 03 up Chevy/GMC truck. The LS engine is good for 300K plus. Transmissions are normally about a 150K item. Good solid reliable trucks.

I like the body styling of the 05 up Fords, but the spark plug ejecting 4.6 and 5.4 engines scare me and Ford cant make a transmission that can make it to 100k. Every Ford company car/truck I have ever had needed a trans replacement before 100K. Every single one. I've never had a trans failure in anything else I ever drove.

I'd never even consider a Dodge anything.

Tundra might be a good truck, but I can't get past how horribly ugly they are.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got a '98 Chevy 1500 with the V6 that has 250k miles on it and still going. It's had a few sensors replaced on it and a new intake manifold gasket but that's about it, other than regular maintenance. I'm not at all a fan of GM products, but I like this truck.

My '79 Bronco had 200k miles on it when the rear main seal started leaking. I drove it another 25k just topping it off. I sold it to a guy that wanted to rebuild it into a rock crawler. I really miss that Bronco.

Top Bottom