• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Found some at Walmart (I was forced to go by the wife) they only had 3 different pouches scrambled eggs with bacon, beef stew, and lasagna with meat sauce. I have heard good things about mountain house foods.

From the website it says that the pouches have a shelf life of 7 years which is a good deal of time before they have to be switched out.
    a6cd089f-b110-a3ff.jpg

Nutritional Info.
    Lasagna
    a6cd089f-b147-ca0c.jpg

Beef stew
    a6cd089f-b19a-9a23.jpg

Eggs and bacon.
    a6cd089f-b1b7-fcf7.jpg

I'm gonna give these a whirl and see if there any good. So if anyone is wondering y'all are about to find out.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Well just tried the beef stew. Before I say anything I give this warning when you pour the hot water into the mylar pouch gets very hot I burned my thumb trying to mix it.

The beef stew was GREAT just like I expected it to. Not to bland not to salty it was just right for me. You get a lot of food in that pouch, for me enough for 2 people or to split the meal into 2 meals. Lots of beef, lots of veggies, and lots of potatoes. Very good, the beef stew gets an A from me.

a6cd089f-be2e-c442.jpg

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I believe the 10# cans are most cost efficient. 35 bucks for 10 servings. The packets are usually 8 bucks for 2 servings. You can, of course, find better deals buying bulk or sales for each, but the cans are always a bit cheaper per serving. Of course, you don't just add hot water to the cans, but any backpacking stove can handle it.

All of the stuff I have tried is pretty good, though I've never had the breakfast. I'll be interested to see what you think of the other stuff when you get to it.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    The only down side I have seen or rather smelled is the beef stew gave me som pretty gnarly gas.

Last time I had the beef stroganoff, I had to spend the evening outside! It has something to do with the freeze drying "freezer burn" that gets on it. It's like taking old ice cubes that have sat at the bottom of the ice maker that have a lot of freezer burn on them and putting them in a drink. Gas galore!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've had them and they are good. I have a couple in my BOB to save weight, though I wonder how good of an idea this is since I'd probably just end up using the water I also carry in it to make the food...

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Last time I had the beef stroganoff, I had to spend the evening outside! It has something to do with the freeze drying "freezer burn" that gets on it. It's like taking old ice cubes that have sat at the bottom of the ice maker that have a lot of freezer burn on them and putting them in a drink. Gas galore!

I smell a practical joke brewing

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I lived off of nothing but these and whatever I could gather for 4 months when I worked backcountry in Alaska. Most of them are good but don't go for any of the exotic ones...stick to basics like stew, chicken and rice, scrambled eggs, etc. I would recommend staying away from the pasta primavera, seafood chowder, and sweet and sour pork but who knows, some people may like them.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I absolutely love Mountain House products... They really do taste pretty good. Simple to prepare. I got all the info to become a dealer, its only a $500 minimum purchase. But the wholesale prices REALLY make them an outstanding bargain. I haven't been online as much lately due to moving, but once I get settled I will revisit this thread and see if any local(Houston- I'm in the Woodlands now, not Katy) people want to go in together on a wholesale order. Or you can contact them yourselves about becoming a dealer, I don't think it requires any special blessing or anything- just a $500 minimum order.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I absolutely love Mountain House products... They really do taste pretty good. Simple to prepare. I got all the info to become a dealer, its only a $500 minimum purchase. But the wholesale prices REALLY make them an outstanding bargain. I haven't been online as much lately due to moving, but once I get settled I will revisit this thread and see if any local(Houston- I'm in the Woodlands now, not Katy) people want to go in together on a wholesale order. Or you can contact them yourselves about becoming a dealer, I don't think it requires any special blessing or anything- just a $500 minimum order.

Whats the pricing like? Wholesale that is...

Top Bottom