• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    I have been overseas for several years and I have a tentative job offer for FT Hood. Where is a good place to live around the area? I am looking for a fairly cheap apartment because my family will be in Germany for a year or so and I will be required to support myself in FT Hood while my family is in Germany (very expensive).

Thanks in advance for the help! I trust you guy's opinions over the random reviews that I have found on the internet.

-Schue
    Texas SOT

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    I lived in Copperas cove for a while. Not a bad spot, and its better than killeen. Its about 7 miles down the road from fort hood. Harker heights isnt too bad either, but my suggestion is to stay out of killeen itself.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    If you don't mind a bit of a drive go to the north end of Ft Hood, Gatesville. You could rent a home there pretty reasonable. We live out in the country about 15 miles from Gatesville, wife works on base. It's a bit of a drive but worth it for living in the middle of nowhere.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    You could try Nolanville which is just down the highway or Harker Heights, but for price Killeen is going to be the cheapest(with the worst neighborhoods). I lived in Copperas Cove myself 5 years ago and didnt care for it. I was always driving to Killeen/Harker Heights to do stuff anyway.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I live in Copperas Cove and really like it. It is great for families, I think. If you are by yourself, Killeen would be cheaper probably. If you are into the bar and party scene, Cove isn't the place to be. But, if you are looking for something for the family, come on over!

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    Just stay out of killeen and youll be ok. If you want, PM me your number and I'll show you around one day.

I am still trying to get an answer on the start date, but I will take you up on your offer and PM you my number as soon as I hear something.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    One thing to consider is that the drive to work from Copperas Cove and back again, has the sun shining in your eyes both ways. A little thing but it gets on your nerves sometimes.
    As stated, the cheapest places to rent are in Killeen. But a little further south into Killeen, near the new Police Headquarters, is more ranch-like and much nicer.
    There are some rental properties in the area of harker Heights and Belton/Nolanville.
    My friend found a place that will sublet between renters, he "lives" (really just sleeps and that's it) there with 3 other renters who share the bill. Fro privacy, another friend at the same place wrented all 4 spots and had the place to herself.

You can also try the realtor I used to move here, Eva kagel, who has a website : Homes For Sale Harker Heights, TX .She and her husband, Rick, are very reliable and know their job. Its tight now, as th emarket has slowed down. But they are very knowledgeable at what they do.
    C-

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Fort Hood is a great place to be stationed. But, if you have kids you need to stay out of Killeen. On post schools are good, Harker Heights Schools are good, Copperas Cove is a lousy place to live unless you work on West Fort Hood, some schools are OK there. 1-Salado 2-Belton (some parts) 3-Harker Heights (some parts) 4-Nolanville would be my order of preference. Good luck and don't hesitate to PM if you would like to discuss further.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate all the help and I will PM the people that asked me to if I have any questions.

You guys are great!

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Let the stress go it can kill a person. Wife got hired at Ft Hood and in 6 weeks we bought and moved from Illinois. Killeen is a busy place, traffic and lots of it. Cove is nice less traffic and just a few miles down the road. We are in Purmela, takes 45 mins to get from here to business end of Ft Hood. No one hears of Purmela much we are 56 square miles and 288 people, it's awesome yet only 13 miles to Gatesville and North Ft Hood. It may seem way out but you can drive to work go thru no stop lights until the last 2 miles on the post itself. If you like the Cowboy lifestyle go Gatesville NW area. We go to a growing Cowboy church but all welcome. Love it here and I see places up for rent in Gatesville all the time. Gatesville is more of a smaller town feeling 15k people but feels more like a 3k town.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    It is official. 1 August reporting to duty. I am not in the military anymore so I will be a government civilian puke :)

I will PM you guys and I hope to see some of you in person for some range shootage in the future. Thanks for all of the advice and tips!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Having spent some time at Fort Hood, I would advise you firstly: Find on-post housing. If that is not possible, look for rentals (In Order): Harker Heights, Nolanville, then (sadly) Copperas Cove.

Some newer developments have sprung up in the vicinity of the new Killeen / West Fort Hood (Gray AAF) Airport.

But wherever you go, you will find rattlesnakes and bobcats.

Be well.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I looked at Florence as a possible place to move to but saw that it was in a liberal county, emission testing stuff. I prefer country where you can do what you want to do etc. Coryell county Bell county take in all of Ft Hood. There are roads that you can take onto the post and actually drive about 12 miles before a checkpoint. East Range, West Range, Elijiah and a couple others. From Gateville proper it could be as little as 26 miles to where main area. If at North Ft Hood, well Gatesville is right there.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I looked at Florence as a possible place to move to but saw that it was in a liberal county, emission testing stuff. I prefer country where you can do what you want to do etc. Coryell county Bell county take in all of Ft Hood. There are roads that you can take onto the post and actually drive about 12 miles before a checkpoint. East Range, West Range, Elijiah and a couple others. From Gateville proper it could be as little as 26 miles to where main area. If at North Ft Hood, well Gatesville is right there.

Liberal County??? Williamson County is very not liberal. Williamson county is quite conservative in fact. We cancel out all of the libtard ridiculousness in Travis County....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom