• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Where exactly on Ft Hood will you be working? As mentioned, the fort is HUGE; and the difference between living in Gatesville and living in Belton can be big if you work on the opposite side of the place.
    Having said that, many people live happily and commute everyday from Temple, Salado, even Georgetown and farther; with no problems. Depends on what you consider a reasonable commute... 20 minutes? an hour?
    C-
    Gun Zone Deals

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Liberal County??? Williamson County is very not liberal. Williamson county is quite conservative in fact. We cancel out all of the libtard ridiculousness in Travis County....
    Liberal was perhaps the wrong word, I ment emissions testings that occur in a few counties here in texas as I remember Williamson had that. No other then that not a lot of difference and my apoligies.

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    I've lived in the area for 28 years, don't live in Killeen. I live on the East side of Bell County in Temple, and I joke that I won't go West of Nolanville without a weapon. Now, I don't go many places unarmed, but I add an extra weapon or two if I'm planning to drive past Nolanville. Temple is a great town, although there's not much of a night life if you're a young person. Shopping isn't horrible, but it's not the big city either, but Austin is about an hour away. Belton isn't bad, but to get into a "good apartment" in Belton, you're looking at a little higher prices than Temple simply because there are basically two types of appartments in Belton, really nice, and pretty cruddy. Temple has a ton of apartment complexes, in all budgets from government housing to "executive home" style apartments. Medical care in Temple is top notch with a Level 1 trauma center at Scott and White, but you'll have to wait for an appointment. For when your family gets here, the job market is stronger than many areas around the state, but that's not saying much really. The medical field is always hiring around here and I don't know what your wife does (if anything) but if she happens to be in nursing, she can pretty much make as much money as she wants in Bell County. Look me up when you get here. BTW, since this is gun forum, a word of caution, unless your job gives you range priveledges on post, there's really only one place to shoot in Bell County that I'm aware of, Weber's Range about 10 miles North of Temple, $15/hour, rifle, pistol and shotgun, but it's really a pretty limited range, nothing over 100 yards, outdoors (with covered shooting benches), but it's a pretty nice place and the people are friendly.

Highfive

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Killeen
    I have been living in Killeen since 2002 and never had any problems, I live close to watercrest road. If you stay out of the downtown area is not bad. The new developments close to the airport and the Metroplex hospital are good areas and close to Ft. Hood, also PM me if you have any questions.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Welcome Highfive. Post an intro, if you get a chance. Always great to have more people from the CenTex area. I am in Cove, so I guess we are neighbors.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    If you like wide open country Purmela, west of Gatesville, very country. Some places with acreage, wife works on post 45 min drive thats to the south end of the post, but loves it. When she comes home we hear nothing... cept us shooting now or then or a distant rancher doing the same. It's cowboy country out here.

Hammeroftruth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've lived in Central Texas since 1986, in Killeen, Temple, and Copperas Cove. Cove is by far the best-great schools, low crime, better sense of community. Not much to do-you'll drive to Killeen a lot to shop and eat out. It's a nice environment to raise a family, though. I recommend Cove.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    I was at Fort Hood in the Regular Army and later in the National Guard. My wife commuted there from Temple which is not fatal as compared to Houston. I was always in Armor or Cav units while there. Here is some info to look at:

Killeen Daily Herald - Classifieds

TDT News - Temple Daily Telegram

This is the Killeen and Temple Classified sections. You should be able to find something reasonable. While not mentioned, "sometimes" there is some reasonable property for rent at Lake Belton or Stillhouse Resorvoir. Both are very close to Fort Hood. Lake Belton actually borders Fort Hood.

If you see something, put the address up and anyone can offer an opinion. Mobile homes on property in the country are usually inexpensive and might work for you.

Top Bottom