• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    "Cool Story, Bro!"

But I don't care. I just wanted to share my silly experience in Austin last weekend.

I have never been to Austin. I am new to Texas. Moved to Houston area from Southern California last September. Heard about a In-N-Out Burger in Austin and lots of weird people. Wife and I were more interested in the In-N-Out burger, since we have seen plenty of weird in California. The drive between Austin and Houston was beautiful. Finally saw some change in elevation :laughing:

I think I felt my ears pop.

First observation about Austin area. The radio stations were better. Also saw extensive sidewalk system with no one on it. I don't see very many sidewalks in Houston, although I will admit I don't get around much.

Finally, saw the In-N-Out sign and made my exit off the freeway. As we exit off the freeway I see a panhandler and notice the neighborhood looks a bit on the rough side. Not Watts/Boyle Heights bad, but enough to get my attention. As I'm stopped at a red light, I see what appears to be a meth-head tweaker walking down the street. If you have ever been to Victorville or San Bernardino, you know what I am talking about. As the person gets closer to us via the sidewalk, I start to see more detail. It is in fact a female. She is wearing overalls with paint splashed all over. I think she was either wearing TOMS or Birkenstocks. Reggae Dreads on head. Its a full blown trustafarian. She walked into a artsy-fartsy tattoo shop next to the In-N-Out.

I just saw Venice Beach in Texas. WTF!

So we eat our delicious Double-Doubles with Animal Fries and decide to recon the "Downtown". Place looks like a mini-California.

Got back on the freeway and went home to Humble.

Next visit will be Nacogdoches & Dallas.

Thanks For Reading.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Welcome to where I live. Sounds like you missed a few things: Most of the panhandlers are druggies or drive nice cars parked around the corner. Austin is a sanctuary city where guns and protecting yourself are frowned on but the city encourages illegal aliens. Taxes are ridiculous, and we're building a $120 M library with no parking in one of the highest paedophile areas of the country.
    Next is a $Billion+ 9 mile light rail line that goes nowhere useful except downtown to the uber left wing "progressive" neighborhoods that control elections. Austin decided if they did not build roads they could keep it 1968 here. Try driving during rush hour on any road with more than 2 lanes during rush hour.
    But its a great place to live, and it's actually becoming slightly more red as we move to single member districts.
    Thanks for stopping by

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Oh I should tell you that "meth-head" most likely is not on drugs. The fact that she was going into a shop of any sort during daylight hours indicates that she is employed and most likely a C level exec, or director of some sort for a tech firm that sits on the fortune 500. If she wasn't, she would be stuck in some cube working or sleeping as the drug users tend to do during the day. They do come out at night, sorry you missed that show.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You drove from Houston to Austin for In-N-Out Burger?

Aren't there Whataburgers in Houston? :P

Hopefully you'll learn that there are much better places to eat (and see and do) in Texas.

Cheers! M2

p.s. There are plenty of meth-heads in Austin, so it is not so surprising that you may have seen one!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The drive between Austin and Houston was beautiful. Finally saw some change in elevation :laughing:
    If there's a next time, plan it for late March or April, especially if the rains have been good. It kind of warms this Texan's heart to see a sea of Bluebonnets and people taking pictures of kids nearly buried in the fields. Though personally I like Indian paintbrush better. I'm nearly 50' above the lake here so I practically live on a mountain. ;)

In Nac hit Auntie Pasta's, Butcher Boy's for a burger, or The Fish Place.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Every time I have driven by In and Out on Airport it has been awash is skinny jean wearing hipster douchebags.

If you drove to austin for that, you seriously missed out on a bunch of infinitely superior burger choices. Mighty Fine, Dirty's, and P. Terry's are the first 3 that spring to mind.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    You can skip Dallas altogether. It's a big city with too much crime, WAY too much traffic, and entirely too much ME attitude. South, east, and west of D is okay, in my opinion. After you bypass it, head to the Fort Worth Stockyards or Lonestar Park in Grand Prarie. Maybe even checkout the vineyards and wineries in Grapevine. They are supposed to be really nice from what people have told me

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    The most common observations about Austin from people who come to visit are:

1. The place looks so....dirty.
    2. There is a bum on every corner and sometimes more than one.

The funny thing is it all magically stops at the city limits.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    Never been there during SXSW festival... But you would probably have a blast. Think it's usually early spring.

sxsw.com/interactive/news/2014/march-13-17-2015-dates-2015-sxsw-interactive-festival

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Eh, Austin isn't THAT great or THAT bad.

People geek out hard over how cool Austin is. It's OK.

As far as it being a "rough city"...ummmm, no, it's just not.

That being said...I don't live in Austin anymore.

Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I did notice a lot of "Obama 2012" signs on peoples lawns in Downtown Austin. I have seen some "I'm ready for Hillary what difference does it make Clinton" bumper stickers in Houston, though. Depressing. I see myself staying in East Texas which is why I want to visit Nac, Lufkin, and the area surrounding it. I liked West Texas, too. Ozona was a nice area but I don't know what I would do for work.

Sounds like I'll be skipping Dallas and heading for Fort Worth.

I like almost every burger place I have ever been to. My passion is Chili Cheese Fries. I haven't found a local place yet that has really good Chili Cheese Fries.

tmperez

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Austin Tx
    Rough, no. Dirty, yes.

I dont know about dirty. I have been to lot of other places that make Austin look like I could eat of the street. A few come to mind, Pittsburgh, Queens NY and Atlanta. I think Austin (minus parts of the East side and Dell Valley) is pretty clean.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Round Rock
    Welcome from a former prisoner of the PRC. Glad you got out. You should of kept going north to Round Rock, we have an In and Out here although I don't think they are anywhere near as good as Mighty Fine, or even 5 guys. I treat Austin like San Fran, don't go there unless it is necessary. To many crazies there for me and they let libs run loose there.

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    Welcome from a former prisoner of the PRC. Glad you got out. You should of kept going north to Round Rock, we have an In and Out here although I don't think they are anywhere near as good as Mighty Fine, or even 5 guys. I treat Austin like San Fran, don't go there unless it is necessary. To many crazies there for me and they let libs run loose there.

^^^
    This.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nothing wrong with the city of Austin, but some of its residents and politicians leave a lot to be desired.

That said, the town itself is nice. Lots of good restaurants (that are a helluva lot better than In-N-Out, Whataburger and/or Dairy Queen), plenty of interesting things to see and do, and some good shopping that we don't get down here in SA.

The overall liberal attitude is a bit annoying, as is the huge influx of ex-Californians who don't realize it was their idiocy that ruined that state in the first place; but if you keep that in mind there is no reason why someone can't have a quite enjoyable visit to our state capital!

Top Bottom