• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Sorry, I looked but was unable to find the original thread for it. I was thinking I hadn't heard any updates past week one and well found out there hasn't been any. But I did find this update from the publisher.

Statement of Ms. Magazine in Response to Alleged Pro-Gun Bullying

[h=1]Statement of Ms. Magazine in Response to Alleged Pro-Gun Bullying[/h]
    Ms.
    magazine has been accused of many things in its 40-year history, but shying away from controversy is something even our most vocal critics have never charged us with.

We have been accused of allowing ourselves to be bullied by pro-gun commenters in the wake of publishing part one of a three-part-series by freelance contributor Heidi Yewman on how easy it was for her to get a concealed weapon permit and purchase a handgun without even having minimal training.
    We were soon deluged with responses, almost all of them attacking the piece and the reporter, some even including Yewman’s home address—presumably to encourage others to track her down and set her straight.
    We moderate reader comments, and reserve the right not to publish comments we consider to be abusive or threatening. With thousands of comments flooding in, we weren’t able to do so with the staff we have in a timely fashion.
    No one should suggest Ms. is unwilling to publish tough pieces on guns. The opposite is true. That’s why Yewman came to us in the first place. That’s why we published her piece. And that’s why her piece is still up on our site.
    We regret that we didn’t have the means to initially handle the avalanche of reader comments following Yewman’s first piece, and, as we told a reporter at Media Matters America, we have a call into Yewman to offer to post the remaining pieces. We have yet to hear back from her, but hope to continue the series soon.
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    She's likely too embarrassed to tell them that she's keeping the gun and will carry at all times.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    We moderate reader comments, and reserve the right not to publish comments we consider to be abusive or threatening.

In other words, "We didn't expect all these people who support gun rights to come in and tell us exactly what our reporter is doing wrong, how her plan to carry a weapon she is completely unfamiliar with and afraid of is unwise and dangerous, and criticize us for encouraging such reckless behavior. It's just much easier to claim those comments were threats toward us, the reporter, and anyone else we can think of..."

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That was just a silly "chick" feel good piece. Oh my, you walked around with a gun! And you dumb ass, you endangered yourself and others (think children) by not taking the time to learn about the dangerous piece of gear you were carrying. Go away and have another glass of white wine, and giggle with your friends.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That was just a silly "chick" feel good piece. Oh my, you walked around with a gun! And you dumb ass, you endangered yourself and others (think children) by not taking the time to learn about the dangerous piece of gear you were carrying. Go away and have another glass of white wine, and giggle with your friends.

lol Pretty much.

Also, you spurred a thought with the 'dangerous piece of gear' phrase. Recently I had a discussion with a condescending prick of a guy who was supporting the recent picture going around griping that feminine products were confiscated and not allowed in the state Capitol but ccw guns are (re: in Austin the recent abortion bill). This guy made the stupid comment that some gun nut Senator would probably shoot a protestor who threw a harmless tampon. We went back and forth for a while. At the close he said he might feel ok to meet me that I wouldn't shoot him. Dick. But the realization hit me. People like him, Antis, will flippantly and willingly throw around statements like "they will probably shoot somebody" because the really don't understand the concept that a firearm is serious business. That we can literally hold life and death in our hands. We don't make stupid statements like 'just shoot somebody' because 1. you don't speak words on the internet that can come back to haunt you and 2. and maybe more importantly they don't understand the power and responsibility we have committed to take on our shoulders. This isn't a game, SD/CCW. Now, we do enjoy aspects of firearms that are fun - hunting, target shooting, group meets, competition, etc. But SD/life and death/CCW, that is real. That is serious. That is mature, big boy and big girl stuff. To Yewman and everyone that thinks like her, she thinks it is just an argument without realities, just a game to be played, a stupid conversation piece that is "fun" to argue. A game without consequences or responsibilities or forethought. To all you Yewmans out there, you are out of your league. You don't belong 'in this lane'.

(Hah! Oddly appropriate "yewmans", sounds like ewe. You know, baby sheep....)

I know I'm not saying anything that you folks around here don't know. But I had to put that out here in conjunction with Yewman's name and article.

Hey Yewman, grow up.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Part II is out: ‘Stupid,’ ‘Immoral,’ ‘Dangerous,’ ‘Coward’: My Month With a Gun - The Daily Beast

Apparently, her own incompetence was just too much for her to deal with, so she supposedly got rid of the gun. Here's one of my favorite bits of drivel from the article:

Only two days into my experiment I went to breakfast with my two kids and some friends. After eating and shopping, my gun with me the entire time, I was anxious to get home to enjoy the warm weather. I put my purse on the counter and then spent the next hour out on the back deck. Walking into the kitchen to refresh our drinks, I noticed my purse with the 9mm Glock still inside it. I’d forgotten to lock it up! Panic set in as I realized my teen son was playing videogames just 10 feet away. What if he’d decided to get the socks I’d bought him from my purse while I was out on the deck? Thoughts raced through my mind and I pondered how I’d just straddled the fine line between being a responsible gun owner and an irresponsible idiot whose 15-year-old just accidentally shot himself or someone else with my gun.

No fear there, lady. At no point have you behaved as a "responsible gun owner", so you never crossed or straddled any "line".

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Part II is out: ‘Stupid,’ ‘Immoral,’ ‘Dangerous,’ ‘Coward’: My Month With a Gun - The Daily Beast

Apparently, her own incompetence was just too much for her to deal with, so she supposedly got rid of the gun. Here's one of my favorite bits of drivel from the article:

No fear there, lady. At no point have you behaved as a "responsible gun owner", so you never crossed or straddled any "line".
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Agreed. She thinks she's "one of us". Not by a long shot lady. Owning a firearm doesn't make you any more responsible than having a penis makes one a good dad. I believe in your feminist circles it'd go like, having the parts to be a female prostitute doesn't automatically make you one.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Oh yes I must hurry to my government approved safe bolted to the floor in my closet. The one with the "special lock" that allows homeland security to get in and secure the gun should they feel it might go on a rampage and kill my family. I know its not the prescription mood enhancers I swallow like candy, its the gun, yes the gun that makes me consider how much I hate my family. There, its locked up. Oh, I am safe. Oh what's that, a knock on the door. No it the door being torn from its hinges. Its those little scamps my son plays with ...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    l

(Hah! Oddly appropriate "yewmans", sounds like ewe. You know, baby sheep....)

I know I'm not saying anything that you folks around here don't know. But I had to put that out here in conjunction with Yewman's name and article.

Hey Yewman, grow up.

I think a ewe is a female sheep and a baby sheep is a lamb.

Still fits.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Another comment towards shorts post.

I don't like traffic. It's common for me to refer to every other driver as an idiot. I avoid cities as much as possible for this reason. I also get mad sometimes just like any other person.

I had an employee as me if I ever worried that I would get mad and shoot somebody. I laughed first, then explained to him that for all the times I had gotten mad, even furious, it had never crossed my mind that I carried a gun daily.

They don't understand that carrying a firearm is a defensive tool, not one that we associate with anger or any way to deal with frustration.

I believe that the vast majority of them can't control that side of themselves. They get mad and think about hurting people and hate themselves for it. They know they lack the ability to control that side of themselves if they were given something that leveled the playing field or gave them an advantage.

Basically, they would be like a child throwing a tantrum. Something evidenced time and time again when they don't get their way.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Probably a white zinfandel. Sickening. LOL

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Another comment towards shorts post.

I don't like traffic. It's common for me to refer to every other driver as an idiot. I avoid cities as much as possible for this reason. I also get mad sometimes just like any other person.

I had an employee as me if I ever worried that I would get mad and shoot somebody. I laughed first, then explained to him that for all the times I had gotten mad, even furious, it had never crossed my mind that I carried a gun daily.

They don't understand that carrying a firearm is a defensive tool, not one that we associate with anger or any way to deal with frustration.

I believe that the vast majority of them can't control that side of themselves. They get mad and think about hurting people and hate themselves for it. They know they lack the ability to control that side of themselves if they were given something that leveled the playing field or gave them an advantage.

Basically, they would be like a child throwing a tantrum. Something evidenced time and time again when they don't get their way.

I have never been able to put the concept into simple words. You just did it. Also with the tantrum analogy. Good thinking. (apparently my thinking decided to take a vacation today....ewe lol)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So....I guess I've satisfied my quota of 1 good post/week.

Back to the PW thread I go:p

Top Bottom