• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Another comment towards shorts post.

I don't like traffic. It's common for me to refer to every other driver as an idiot. I avoid cities as much as possible for this reason. I also get mad sometimes just like any other person.

I had an employee as me if I ever worried that I would get mad and shoot somebody. I laughed first, then explained to him that for all the times I had gotten mad, even furious, it had never crossed my mind that I carried a gun daily.

They don't understand that carrying a firearm is a defensive tool, not one that we associate with anger or any way to deal with frustration.

I believe that the vast majority of them can't control that side of themselves. They get mad and think about hurting people and hate themselves for it. They know they lack the ability to control that side of themselves if they were given something that leveled the playing field or gave them an advantage.

Basically, they would be like a child throwing a tantrum. Something evidenced time and time again when they don't get their way.

I've had the same questions. What really twists their noodle is when I tell them I'm actually CALMER when I carry a gun than when not. They can't grasp the concept when I'm carrying a deadly weapon, I'm much more cognizant of the deadly nature of an escalated confrontation and far more likely to keep my cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    A gun in a home is 43 times more likely to be used to kill a family member than kill someone in self-defense

Thank God. If that number was turned around, I would say we really have a crime problem. Plus the "43 times", I'm sure, include suicides. Generally, I believe, suicides are going to occur regardless of the method, and so you would need to take all of them out of this number in order for it to prove her point, if any, about the safety of guns in a home.

Living with a gun has created a plethora of new thought patterns for me. I used to go to sleep thinking mom thoughts—what I’d make for dinner tomorrow or how to help my son on a project or remind myself to pay a bill I forgot about. Now all I think about are the sounds I hear at night. I lie awake thinking: “Is someone breaking in? How fast can I get to the gun? Will they hear me? How much time do I have before they get to my bedroom? What if they go to my son’s room first? Will I shoot them in the face or heart or stomach?” And then I think: “How in the world would I live with myself knowing I took a life?”

If it's that much of a bother, maybe a firearm wasn't her best choice, huh? Some people just want nothing to do with their own safety. They much rather leave that job in the hands of the government and after the fact. :confused:

Another question: How accessible should the gun be when I’m home? A few nights ago, my son came home late, forgot his key, and knocked on the door. My first thought was, “Should I go get the gun?” I didn’t know who was on the other side of the door, and I was scared to find out as adrenaline surged through my body. I’m glad I didn’t get the gun because when I opened the door, I would have been a nervous, untrained mom pointing a gun at my son. The wrong split-second decision on my side would have been deadly.

WHY??? How is it anyone, especially one so nervous, does not ascertain who was in fact behind the door. I agree there should be training in order to own a firearm, but how does one go about teaching common sense????? :p

Suspiciousness [sic] and fear of people is new to me, and I don’t like it.

You don't have to be paranoid but how bout paying attention to other people for once. Probably says something about how she see's herself and everyone else she see's, or doesn't, in her day to day.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Agreed. She thinks she's "one of us". Not by a long shot lady. Owning a firearm doesn't make you any more responsible than having a penis makes one a good dad. I believe in your feminist circles it'd go like, having the parts to be a female prostitute doesn't automatically make you one.

"I own a gun" is the new "I have a black friend".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You have a black friend!?! That's racist.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

LOL!

"I have a black friend" is perceived as a defense that racists use when called on racism. "I can't be a racist - I have black friends!"

Now a whole lotta gun-banners are going out of their way to try and show that they're gun owners.

Biden and his "Beretta", which is probably a $5000 clay breaker with maybe a couple hundred rounds through it. Giffords and her space cadet husband and their one gun each. And then this lady; "I understand what it's like to own and carry a gun because I did it!"

Bull. I'd bet money she never actually bought or carried a gun, and made the entire "article" up whole cloth.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    LOL!

"I have a black friend" is perceived as a defense that racists use when called on racism. "I can't be a racist - I have black friends!"

Now a whole lotta gun-banners are going out of their way to try and show that they're gun owners.

Biden and his "Beretta", which is probably a $5000 clay breaker with maybe a couple hundred rounds through it. Giffords and her space cadet husband and their one gun each. And then this lady; "I understand what it's like to own and carry a gun because I did it!"

Bull. I'd bet money she never actually bought or carried a gun, and made the entire "article" up whole cloth.

That's a very good explanation of it, the "I've owned one so I understand it part". Not! You don't understand it lady. You never worked your way through the concept. You started with the mechanical steps of buying, possessing and owning, but you never engaged, in fact you REFUSED and IGNORED the other steps of the SD process to acheive the goal you said you were going to achieve. And I said this in the original thread, here is what she said she'd do:

Yes, I bought a handgun and will carry it everywhere I go over the next 30 days. I have four rules: Carry it with me at all times, follow the laws of my state, only do what is minimally required for permits, licensing, purchasing and carrying, and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public.

- EDC - check
    - Follow laws - check (as far as I can tell from what she says she did)
    - buy gun, get permitted - check, check
    - be prep'd to use it - FAIL. She didn't even read the operator's manual to figure out to how to make safe. She sought no additional training.

If you noticed her tone she uses words to describe her feelings about having the firearm. She freaks, all the time. She's paranoid, I don't use that word lightly, she was actually paranoid. (That may be her intention to paint people who possess guns as paranoid, and which is why I did not want to bring up more thoughts on piece. But I'm not scared to greet her tactic, if it was, face to face. Her point has no structure.). But she makes my point. She never tried, never learned, never sought any training to use the tool. I wonder how she felt the first time she got behind the wheel of her car? I wonder if her nervousness decreased and comfort increased as she practiced and took driver's ed? I don't say this beating the drum of oversight and regulation on "training requirements" just to purchase & possess a firearm (because I thought from the beginning that was also another angle of hers, to get "us" to say "you NEED training" and sign our own death warrants). It should not be required. It should not be regulated and mandated. She just failed at personal responsibility. That's as "mandated & regulated" as needed.

Next point and probably a very important personal decision, she never actually wanted a gun. Some people don't want, don't ever want to have or be around firearms. Well, fine. So don't buy one. That's like staying in a marriage when you want a divorce. Do you think the relationship & interaction between the couple is daisies and roses? Or do you think the every day interaction is that of a toxic waste dump? There is no love there. There are no actions of care, thought or nurturing of the relationship. You can say that gun owners who are actually serious about "being prepared to use a firearm to protect themselves or their family" nurture the relationship by advancing their skills both mentally and physically, to do the right things with that firearm. To plant the seeds of success. She never planted seeds of success.

Too bad Ms Yewman that you didn't actually accomplish what you said you wanted to do (the things in your four rules up there). I am confident you would have reached a better finishing point. If you're going to be a journalist, or blogger or whatever the hell "writers" call themselves these days, you need to work on your neutrality on a subject and commit wholeheartedly to the project. The success of your projects depends on it. But if you didn't care that guns would look good, you would have actually tried, right? :rolleyes:

Anyone remember the article from a couple months ago of a female writer who was taking a firearm course in order to see what the AR15 was all about? I believe she was going to one of the major names training but can't find the piece. She was going in a few parts as she progressed through course elements. I was looking for it to show Ms Yewman how a real lady commits to a doing a firearm piece.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    Wearing the gun reminded her about the big, bad, dangerous world out there. So...does not wearing the gun make the big, bad, dangerous world safer? Or does it simply allow her to go blissfully and ignorantly on her way without thinking about the bigness, badness, and dangerousness that exists regardless of whether she can attempt to do anything about it?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Wearing the gun reminded her about the big, bad, dangerous world out there. So...does not wearing the gun make the big, bad, dangerous world safer? Or does it simply allow her to go blissfully and ignorantly on her way without thinking about the bigness, badness, and dangerousness that exists regardless of whether she can attempt to do anything about it?

Very well played. I would love to hear Yewman explain her answer.

Top Bottom