• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm not sure what those terms refer to.. I used a bore snake after and the barrel appears clear when inspected with a light . I don't know what a bore sighter is and I have no idea what that photo is. Should I be alarmed?

The photo is of a gun in which someone left a bore sighter in the end of the barrel and it split all the way to the stock because of the pressure. If you don't use a bore sighter you won't have anything to worry about.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm in Dallas. But I'm fairly new as well. What do you need help with? Just someone to shoot with. I can do that. Basic cleaning. I can do that too.

CarolRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Dallas
    I googled "bore sighter" and nope, do not have anything like that. I have a flashlight on a flexible little tubing, but it remained in my hand...the hardest part was actually figuring out how to get the slide release thing back in position. I ran a bore snake through...and used snap cap to make sure the functions were intact (to the best o my knowledge) Sugar Land mentioned that Hicksville event. I think I'm going to try to go. Depends on work. Thanks!

CarolRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Dallas
    I go on ladies night. I live in far north Dallas. I have a 28 year old daughter who I'd like to take too..She usually works on Tuesday nights though. Bullet Trap has Wednesday night ladies night..so I've taken her there.
    Ill pm you my number. I've been to Eagle once or twice. I like. Been meaning to take my daughter.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Carol - the simplest way to determine if you've reassembled your 1911 correctly - is to rack the slide back - insert a pencil in the end of your barrel - all the way back

pull the trigger

if the pencil shoots a few feet across the room - you've reassembled it correctly

it is not going to "blow up" next time at the range

CarolRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Dallas
    Carol - the simplest way to determine if you've reassembled your 1911 correctly - is to rack the slide back - insert a pencil in the end of your barrel - all the way back

pull the trigger

if the pencil shoots a few feet across the room - you've reassembled it correctly

it is not going to "blow up" next time at the range
    OK, I just tried that, it worked beautifully. Thanks!

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    Carol, If you are interested in learning about reloading, Cabelas has a "how to" clinic on Sunday afternoons. It consists of one of the employees doing demo's on reloading bullets from start to finish. It is free and the guys there are helpful. They also sell all the equipment and supplies to get it done. Not trying to endorse them, but it is a free way to just check it out. I have been reloading for 30 years, mainly because it is very cost effective. Even with today's "higher" prices in reloading components, I am able to make damn good, accurate .45 ACP for about $11 a box of 50 rounds. It's cheaper if you order your supplies in bulk and know where t o shop. Congrats on the Pistol - And welcome to Texas!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Do not know about Dallas area, but some of the people that do CHL classes in Killeen area will teach basic techniques, especially to newbies. Might check it out

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Carol, Elm Fork has instructors available on weekends to help new shooters. Also there is a group of us that shoot there the last Sunday of the month. We start at 9am or so and shoot for a couple hours then some go to lunch. Come join us. We are the Texas Gun Owners group and many of us are members here. Easy to find as there is usually a big flag flying at the bay we shoot at. We usually shoot in Bay 2.

Also, I am quite familiar with 1911s and can show you some tricks to maintaining them. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively and have been doing so since 1958.

Top Bottom