• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My wife and her sister inherited a house and property this week. The sister gets 80%, my wife gets 20%. Sounds good, huh? Well, the house was owned by the same person that gave me this truck a few years ago.

The old guy died this past Wednesday morning. He bought this house about 2 years ago and Joane and her sister stopped by one day and they said he had a mess but he was just getting settled after moving in. No one had been to his place since. He and the sister had a falling out and he just went away for a while. I saw him around town now and then driving a Hyundai. I saw his car at WalMart one day and walked by it. I looked inside and it looked just like that Dodge truck.

He came back around recently and said he was sick and going to need surgery and wanted the sister to drive him to the hospital when it was time. He went for the pre-op visit and they took him straight to the hospital. This was on Friday, he died Wednesday morning.

Since Joanne is down with her ankle, I went with SIL to the house to look for the will and any other important documents. I found the will and it stated the 80/20 split. I expected the place to be a mess but, I wasn't prepared for what I saw. How do people live like this?

rb1.jpg
    rb2.jpg
    rb3.jpg
    rb4.jpg
    rb5.jpg
    rb8.jpg
    rb9.jpg

This guy sold a house in December of 2022 and came away with over $215K in his pocket. He blew every penny and this is all he has to show for it, plus a lot of credit card debt. SIL is the executor of the estate and she has an appointment with the lawyer on Monday. The person that owns the joining property has already made an offer to take it as is. I would accept his offer, if it was me. But, there may be money owed on the house and the lawyer will let her what she can do. Meanwhile, I have my fingers crossed for a lightning strike.
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's not for us to understand nor is it for us to judge.

How very Leftist for us to assume it's a mental health issue because we don't agree.

It's not my cup of tea, but if he liked it that way, then good for him.

Depending on what the neighbor offers, it may be worth hiring a crew to clean it out and put it on the market.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

How very Leftist for us to assume it's a mental health issue because we don't agree.

Depending on what the neighbor offers, it may be worth hiring a crew to clean it out and put it on the market.

200w.gif

Sorry, there is a huge difference between clutter and unhabitable conditions.

The state of that place is a health hazard. No human in their right mind would live under such conditions.

Anyone who does so does have mental health issues.

And simply cleaning it out doesn't make it habitable, there likely is mold and other issues to contend with. It would need a thorough inspection before anyone could live there.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

I agree in part. If there is nobody else living there, especially kids, and he likes how things are then it's his right to have the life he wants; leave him tf alone.

What I disagree with is that we (meaning me) judge all the time and judging is a human thing and not in itself a political ideological thing - but it can become one depending on what actions we take based on our judgments.

When I see something, and make a judgment on it, it's for how it relates to me - i.e., is it something for me to avoid or choose, rather on the thing itself. The Left might choose to take action on that guy's situation; I'd be inclined to leave him alone.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My wife is a hoarder and she loves cranberry sauce, so maybe there's a connection.

A friend of ours had an elderly brother. She and her husband paid for an apartment for the guy. One day he told her that he thought there might be a leak because the carpet was wet. They went over and found 2 inches of standing water in the place.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    200w.gif

Sorry, there is a huge difference between clutter and unhabitable conditions.

The state of that place is a health hazard. No human in their right mind would live under such conditions.

Anyone who does so does have mental health issues.

And simply cleaning it out doesn't make it habitable, there likely is mold and other issues to contend with. It would need a thorough inspection before anyone could live there.

See, you're using First World standards to judge.

Humans in their right mind live in much worse conditions willfully. Most people wouldn't, myself included, but it's not for us to understand.

But yes, cleaning it out and making repairs would be part of the process.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    While living in a condo we hear fire engines pull up. Found out a neighbor had a fire in his unit. Heard firefighter say the condo was piled with stuff, there was a path from the door to the bedroom. They discovered the guy under a pile of stuff, he was naked when they brought him out on a stretcher.

Top Bottom