• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    (snip)What they don't want you to know is that credit cards are unsecured debt - this means they are the last ones to get paid back (if at all). That's why they are the most aggressive. This is where a lawyer comes in - let them deal with the collectors and act as an intermediary. The funeral and other arrangements are stressful enough without having to deal with phone calls and letters. (snip)

I always assumed that most really financially intelligent folks knew cc debt was unsecured...that's one of the reasons for such a high APR!! Curious what the default rate is for cc...I'm sure I could google it, but I don't care that much LOL...
    Venture Surplus ad

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I always assumed that most really financially intelligent folks knew cc debt was unsecured...

We knew that, but it didn't stop the CC companies from calling, emailing and sending letters to everyone related to my FiL threatening legal action unless payment was made - and he owed less than 10k total across several cards. The only way we were able to get them to stop was when our lawyer got involved. YMMV

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    FIL passed almost two years ago. My wife is the executor. We're still getting debt collector mail. Most recent was from a batch of lawyers looking for settlement money owed becasue of a traffic accident FIL failed to inform anyone about. FIL's ex girlfriend was still listed on his accounts and emptied them all before my wife could confirm the identity of the deceased at the county morgue. Wife gave lawyers ex girlfriends last known info and said good luck. If the lawyers do get anything (they won't) the joke is on them because we are first in line to be reimbursed for funeral costs.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Generally, the credit cards owed by my mother when she died were written off. The only reason for going to probate court was to transfer realty. There was no cash in the estate. Credit card debts were listed and the companies were properly advised to file claims with the court. None did.

Unless we're talking big money, credit cards have been a non-issue in every estate where I've ever been even tangentially involved.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Was in Kroger today. Thought of this thread...

cans.jpeg

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My stepson passed away about three years ago. I am still (well he is ) getting letters from surfside beach and fort bend county for outstanding cases and that warrants have been issued for his arrest. I wonder if they will ever come knocking on my door looking for him. Do they ever cross reference other databases for deaths. It seems to be more about them getting their fine money.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My stepson passed away about three years ago. I am still (well he is ) getting letters from surfside beach and fort bend county for outstanding cases and that warrants have been issued for his arrest. I wonder if they will ever come knocking on my door looking for him. Do they ever cross reference other databases for deaths. It seems to be more about them getting their fine money.
    There was a reason I got 20 original death certificates for my mom. People who insisted on reaching her after her death tended to shut up and go away when I gave them one. I was shocked at how many times I needed to do that.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    You probably want to call them and let them know, so the cops don't raid your house. Seriously.

Eli

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not for us to understand nor is it for us to judge.

How very Leftist for us to assume it's a mental health issue because we don't agree.

It's not my cup of tea, but if he liked it that way, then good for him.

Depending on what the neighbor offers, it may be worth hiring a crew to clean it out and put it on the market.
    Cool... he'll be right over with a hot plate of food for ya;)

Top Bottom