• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Since her wreck in 1996, it has been a battle with her. She has been like a stubborn 3 year old and sometime a rebellious teen.

Sounds like she had a TBI.

My Mom threw a clot from her carotid about 10 years ago that gave her a serious stroke and afterwards was much the same as you describe. Drove my dad to attempt suicide... their relationship had not been good for many many years and so he copped out after a big blowout argument (which was unnecessary and non-humane treatment of a stroke victim in the first place). But stay strong, take care of yourself too, and keep all the support around you!!!

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Thanks for all who sent prayers.
    Update: the surgery went fine. They took out three membranes which form after the bleeding. they left in 2 drains and another membrane. they covered the wound with a silver dressing. Silver has antibacterial properties. Yes, silver as in the Lone Ranger's silver bullets. They shaved about half her head so she looks like a punk rocker. They have restrained her arms so she can't reach the surgery site. She is very tired and can't talk very loud.

I came home for diner and to take care of Snort, the Yapshire Terror. er I mean Yorkshire Terrier. This is the first time Snort has been left alone for this length of time and he has separation anxiety issues.

Tomorrow or Monday, they will evaluate and make plans for her further treatment which may include going back in and removing a blood vessel that feeds the last membrane. She will need physical therapy, occupational therapy (basically living function training in bathing dressing everyday type things) and probably some speech therapy as well.

Since her wreck in 1996, it has been a battle with her. She has been like a stubborn 3 year old and sometime a rebellious teen.
    @ Pronstar, show this to your wife and tell her to enjoy and tolerate her folks because the time will come when they can't be enjoyed due to vagaries of age.

Fortunately I have a good support network. Her brother lives 30 minutes away and my daily breakfast group have been supporting us for 24 years.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your support. Before her wreck, she taught photography at Wichita State University in the Graphic Design department. She had been fighting the department and college of Art for years over things I won't mention here but to say the university offered her little in support after her wreck and she never thought that many of her students liked her. The students took it upon themselves to let all her previous students know. She received over 200 well wishing cards from former students all over the world. Africa, Indonesia, Burma, China, The UK, Germany, Persia, the U.S. and other places. They all said that she made a difference in their lives,

I now know how that made her feel because of you all.

Thanks again

Tom
    Prayers sent to you and your bride! Fast recovery is on the horizon. God will bless you!

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Shirley had another CT scan and the Doc said her brain has moved back toward the center and is only 2mm off center. Her brother said she's always been off center. I tend to agree. Anyway they gave her some speech therapy which consisted of evaluating her ability to swallow. She has trouble with water and solid (graham cracker) but did ok with apple sauce and thickened water. Physical therapy consisted of having her stand using a walker and 2 therapists holding a gait belt so she couldn't fall. She also had a sponge bath. She will probably be ready to go to a therapy center in a week or so.

Snort, the four legged terrorist, is not happy being left alone for hours on end. He's been standing off staring at me and has hidden all his toys. He gets between me and the door so I can't leave without him.

Top Bottom