DK Firearms

Mystery Guitar... looking for info mainly, possibly for sale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I cant find help anywhere so I am going to try here. I have a solid wood body electric guitar with NO NAME... It is beautiful, and who ever built it did a very nice job. The guy I got it from received it from a musician who built it (He is a friend of mine so I have no reason to not believe him on this). I had a local guitar guy who went out of business recently appraise it for $1800... I have no frame of reference on this, and I didnt know if he was filling me full of shit or if he was being serious... he did offer me $700 but I turned it down because I had intended to learn guitar... finding time is an issue. If I keep it or sell it, who knows... doesnt bother me either way, it looks great on the wall right now, haha. Intonation is excellent, sustain is quite lengthy and it sounds quite nice, especially if someone plays it who knows what they are doing. Sorry for the poor quality pictures, they do not do it justice and I have a garbage camera

(THOSE ARE HAND DONE INLAYS in the head stock and neck... NOT DECALS or paint)

PM me if you think you can help or are interested.

000_0150.gif

000_0147.gif

000_0146.gif

000_0145.gif

000_0144.gif

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Ok, you got it from a friend who bought it from the maker. So, ask your friend who built it. Then you have a name to put to it and from there you should be able to find out more info.

It is sweet looking....

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Ok, you got it from a friend who bought it from the maker. So, ask your friend who built it. Then you have a name to put to it and from there you should be able to find out more info.

It is sweet looking....

I wish it were that easy, he has had the guitar for a pretty good while, he took in on trade for a windmill (he builds windmills...to each their own I guess) He said he can't remember the name of the guy... It is irritating how he wouldnt put a name with it when he took a no namer on trade for a $1500 windmill. Supposedly he is or was local to the Hill Country (way to narrow it down right...?) I have exhausted all routes in town here though.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I really like it. Realistically, what are You looking to get for it?

Realistically, $1250... I am open to offers; cash preferably, I will also entertain trades. I have an amp and multi effect pedal that can go with it for some extra coin

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    The headstock looks like a Michael Kelly.

Hmmm. they do look very similar... I wonder what the odds are that one makes it out of the factory without a name? Or the very slim chance that it would be a guitar made by them before the name Michael Kelly hit the market? The only history I have on the guitar is what I was told, and there are absolutely no markings anywhere outside or inside.

TexasDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Colleyville
    I honestly do not think that is a Michael Kelly guitar. The "Valor" model has different body shape and his humbucker pickups are Carvins (one is black, the other white). While the headstock, a modified Gibson design, is similiar-but different enough to avoid a lawsuit from Gibson, look at this picture and you'll see a serial number and a "made in Korea" sticker. Michael Kelly Hour Glass T Guitar Also, all of his either have his initials, or his name. That neck may have been purchased as a blank, and the inlay added by the craftsman. Its a set neck, so you don't want to try to remove it and look for stamps.

The guitar in the picture is using all Gibson parts. The P-90 pickups, bridge, tailpiece, pickup selector switch, and possibly the knobs are Gibson parts (although they also look like the SureGrip 1 knobs used on Ibanez blazer guitars from 1978-1982-those knobs says IBANEZ in the inside Photos: Converted 1982 Blazer 350)

The most identifiable feature are those mother of pearl inlay flowers. Try to find another one with that style.

You very well may have a one-of-a-kind guitar. Only problem is...there's nothing to compare it to.

TexasDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Colleyville
    y'know...there might be one or two places that the guy may have put his name.

Remove the white panel on the back, which covers the wires and pots. anything written in that cavity?
    Also....remove the pickups and see if anything is written in that cavity.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    y'know...there might be one or two places that the guy may have put his name.

Remove the white panel on the back, which covers the wires and pots. anything written in that cavity?
    Also....remove the pickups and see if anything is written in that cavity.

I appreciate the info, very helpful! I was not sure if the inlays were mother of pearl or something else. Ive pulled all of the paneling on the back and there is nothing written in the cavity at all. I have not pulled off the pickups though so I will give that a try tonight.

I love one of a kind items, but like you said, there is nothing to compare it to (unfortunatly?)

akediord

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    plano
    the tune-o-matic bridge is the same as found on most korean imports (you can tell by the larger posts) like ibanez, schecter, LTD (ESP) and the like. the neck appears to be mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard and the body is clearly multi-piece that is not generally indicative of a high-end build. the inlays are MOP and abalone. the maple top while nice, is certainly not the best example. i'd be curious if those humbuckers are branded (gibson, seymour duncan, dimarzio, etc.) or completely devoid of markings. look for markings on the pots as well like CTS, Gibson or Alpha.

with no builder brand/markings and clear use of import parts, i'd put the value of this instrument in the $300-$500 range, but that is immaterial if the owner enjoys it and it plays well.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    the tune-o-matic bridge is the same as found on most korean imports (you can tell by the larger posts) like ibanez, schecter, LTD (ESP) and the like. the neck appears to be mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard and the body is clearly multi-piece that is not generally indicative of a high-end build. the inlays are MOP and abalone. the maple top while nice, is certainly not the best example. i'd be curious if those humbuckers are branded (gibson, seymour duncan, dimarzio, etc.) or completely devoid of markings. look for markings on the pots as well like CTS, Gibson or Alpha.

with no builder brand/markings and clear use of import parts, i'd put the value of this instrument in the $300-$500 range, but that is immaterial if the owner enjoys it and it plays well.

Thank you for the info, makes sense. I have found NO markings what-so-ever on this guitar. While I have been told something similar before, I have also been told several other things haha. It makes more sense to me that it may be an import, but it is clearly not a kit guitar. This is where my issues come in at as far as what I have; I don't have a clue and it seems that those that are familiar with guitars have a good idea, are yet still are in question. I am perfectly content with keeping and continue learning. It seems as though I have a guitar with amnesia.

akediord

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    plano
    Thank you for the info, makes sense. I have found NO markings what-so-ever on this guitar. While I have been told something similar before, I have also been told several other things haha. It makes more sense to me that it may be an import, but it is clearly not a kit guitar. This is where my issues come in at as far as what I have; I don't have a clue and it seems that those that are familiar with guitars have a good idea, are yet still are in question. I am perfectly content with keeping and continue learning. It seems as though I have a guitar with amnesia.

kyle, i don't think this is an import at all. it's clearly hand-made and not CNC'd. check the finish on the heel of the neck. that arc is not perfectly straight. i do think the builder may have used whatever he had on hand in his parts bin for hardware which may include import pieces. i suspect that bridge is a gotoh. the tuners look like grovers.

like i said before, if the guitar sounds good, intonates and stays in tune, doesn't really matter where or how it was made. gibson is turning out $3K+ custom shop LPs and not all of them are winners.

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    The P-90 pickups, bridge, tailpiece, pickup selector switch, and possibly the knobs are Gibson parts

Sizewise, the pickups look more like double-coil PAF-types to me. I agree -- the parts looks Gibsonish, but probably are generic look-alikes from StewMac. It's not a kit-guitar -- but was likely assembled from ready parts (including body and neck). The inlay is the most interesting part -- but don't know how much value it adds. I agree with the $350 to $500 estimate ... but if it plays well for you, then it's a good guitar.

If you're into tinkering, it would be neat to add a coil-tap switch -- give you the choice between crispy Strat-tones and deep Gibson thick tones.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    kyle, i don't think this is an import at all. it's clearly hand-made and not CNC'd. check the finish on the heel of the neck. that arc is not perfectly straight. i do think the builder may have used whatever he had on hand in his parts bin for hardware which may include import pieces. i suspect that bridge is a gotoh. the tuners look like grovers.

like i said before, if the guitar sounds good, intonates and stays in tune, doesn't really matter where or how it was made. gibson is turning out $3K+ custom shop LPs and not all of them are winners.

The intonation is excellent, far better than my buddies epiphone LP, It has been hanging on my wall for a month and it is still in tune. I like it but I guess my deal with wanting to know what it is stems from my being anal about using nice things and wearing them out... I don't want to play with something of reasonable value. But it sounds to me like I will just play it and enjoy it.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Sizewise, the pickups look more like double-coil PAF-types to me. I agree -- the parts looks Gibsonish, but probably are generic look-alikes from StewMac. It's not a kit-guitar -- but was likely assembled from ready parts (including body and neck). The inlay is the most interesting part -- but don't know how much value it adds. I agree with the $350 to $500 estimate ... but if it plays well for you, then it's a good guitar.

If you're into tinkering, it would be neat to add a coil-tap switch -- give you the choice between crispy Strat-tones and deep Gibson thick tones.

I can not find anything even similar to these inlays for some reason. One of the inlays looks like it was broken before installed and he seperated one of the petals from the rest of the flower and filled the gap. Seems odd but who knows. I gave the guy some old golf clubs for it so I think I faired well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom