• ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    The Remington 700 in .270 Winchester my grandpa gave me for my first gun.

My Stevens my Great Grandpa gave me for squirrels .22/.410 combo gun

And my Russian SKS cause she's ugly and she just don't quit ask Winchstr it's how I like my woman too lol!
    Military Camp

boisestatebronco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Pre '64 Winchester model 94 in .30-.30 given to me by my grandfather
    Ruger 77 in 7mm mag that's kept the freezer full of deer/elk/moose since I bought it in high school
    Rock River LAR-15 A4 Varmint because its so damn fun

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    new so more of a wish list than favorites

Dragunov
    AK underfolder
    m39 mosin with a nice stock like these
    IMG_0920.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not sure, I don't really play well at favorites, but if I had to pick three of the ones I own...

My AR15. Accurate and fast, just too sweet a shooter.
    My M39. Finest Mosin ever built, IMO. Mine was last rebuilt in 1970, and the receiver dates to the 19th century.
    My Arisaka. Still haven't shot it, but I just like the funky little thing. I've got an early WWII model with the chrome lined, polygonal-rifled barrel (both way ahead of their time) and anti-aircraft sights. It's a funky combination of Mauser and Enfield, all in a youth stock! I just wish it had a chrysanthemum.

new so more of a wish list than favorites

Dragunov
    AK underfolder
    m39 mosin with a nice stock like these
    IMG_0920.jpg

Those look like the late stocks, but mine has a lot duller finish than that. What did they do to those rifles?

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Those look like the late stocks, but mine has a lot duller finish than that. What did they do to those rifles?

The most legitimate guess I've seen is this info

Although the stock looks a bit too shiny and "recent", I'm not 100% willing to call that refinished, at least after what I've read. 7.62 mm:n kiväärien korjausohje or "Reparation instructions for 7.62mm rifles" published by Ordnance Department of the Finnish Army in 1971 has a short description how rifle stocks were refinished after renovation:

After patch-gluing described earlier the plugs are flattened, the surface is sanded and treated with kiväärintukkiöljy. Before use kiväärintukkiöljy is warmed up to 70-80 degrees of Celsius. After kiväärintukkiöljy has dried the stock is treated with varnish (=boiled flax seed oil) and polished with buffing wheel.

762kivkorjausohje.jpg

While information on kiväärintukkiöljy is limited it translates "rifle stock oil" and is a product manufactured by the Finnish paint company Tikkurila during post-war years. It's the same oil that the replacement stocks have been finished. Fortunately enough, I was able to make friends with a guy who knows the formula of this stuff and still has a limited amount of the original kiväärintukkiöljy he acquired from the SA stocks. Looking forward to get some of it - for collecting purposes.

Here are stocks of three SAKOs, a CG contract 1940 m/28-30, Army contract 1941 KIV 39 and CG contract 1943 m/39. It is known that SAKO used Four Hour Pomo-lacquer for the final finish at least during mid-late m/28-30 production but according to Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988 the stocks were stained before this. Apparently the same policy was continued during early m/39 production but perhaps staining process was different as these stocks tend to look browner that the reddish stocks of the m/28-30 rifles. At some point, perhaps in late 1942 or early 1943, staining/lacquering process was found too impractical and got replaced with simpler oil finish. This new finish seems to look, while not quite as thick as the earlier type, darker than post-war kiväärintukkiöljy finish. However, it's not so easy to draw right conclusions as wear, tear, overhauls and refinishing can have altered the stocks' appearance quite a bit.

It's on the internet so take it for what it's worth but it "sounds" legit
    referenced thread http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=10451.0

Also the look of some of the sakos offered from Pat seem to exhibit the same look and those have been touched by "bubba" yet, only finns and g-n-a

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The most legitimate guess I've seen is this info

It's on the internet so take it for what it's worth but it "sounds" legit
    referenced thread M39 stock finish?

Also the look of some of the sakos offered from Pat seem to exhibit the same look and those have been touched by "bubba" yet, only finns and g-n-a

Ah, I see what it is. Those are wartime, mine is a post-war. They must have used different finishes...

Still, the craftsmanship on the stock (heck, the whole rifle!) is awesome.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Ah, I see what it is. Those are wartime, mine is a post-war. They must have used different finishes...

Still, the craftsmanship on the stock (heck, the whole rifle!) is awesome.

Yeah there was a beautiful one for under 300 due to a crack behind the tang. If i hadn't blown all the money on the AR I would've jumped on it just to hang on the wall. I think the wife would hang me on the wall if i broke 2k in a month.

BillNorthTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    DFW area
    Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun

.257 Weatherby Magnum

Mannlicher Schonauer Mountain Carbine .. Tropical Stock and Double Trigger in almost any caliber. .. .308 or 30-06 if choice.

zenfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    OK I'll play

1) Winchester Mod 52B
    2) Steyr SSG .270 W/Kahles
    3) MSAR.556

Killed more deer with a Ruger Ranch .223 than anything else.. Lung shot every one through the ribs and every single one went down in a heap but all within 100yds..

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    That I've owned? Tough question! Harrington and Richardson U.S. Rifle M14, a Cranston Arms Co. M1941 Johnson, and a Savage 99C in .284 Winchester.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Three more "favorites" (depends on which one I'm shooting).
    Bob

Ruger No 1 .30-06
    DSC_0131-1.gif

Remington .30-06 7600 pump
    DSC_1073-1.gif

Savage .30-06 lefty with factory 24" barrel (my latest)
    DSC_2309_zps9f0ac33f.gif

Top Bottom