Texas SOT

National reciprocity bill to be introduced.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The Feds have no place messing with rights that belong to the States.

SC has ruled they have the authority to regulate interstate commerce through implied powers and this is an interstate matter. I'm surprised they haven't done so with this by now.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Thanks.

I know, they have a funny definition of "commerce." I also happen to think some of the SC opinions have been flat out wrong.

I can think of several! In fact I disagree with the entire concept of "Implied powers" (and even almost all Hamiltonian politics), but that's another rant.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I agree with that remark.
    I would love to see the Feds enforce Constitutional Rights on the states.
    After all , aint that what the Federal Police is for?

The problem is that the Feds call what we are talking about a "Right" but in practice treat it as a privilege; far more so than most states. Our current mucked up mess of reciprocity is still better than letting the Feds take over, in my humble opinion.

scubabri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Magnolia
    I think this is already covered in the constitution. Article IV sec 2 "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

Drivers licenses are recognized, as are marriage licenses, so why not concealed carry permits?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think this is already covered in the constitution. Article IV sec 2 "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

Drivers licenses are recognized, as are marriage licenses, so why not concealed carry permits?

The devil is in the details. States don't have to recognize other states licenses if they don't meet the same standards to obtain them. For example, if Oklahoma just hands out drivers licenses with no testing then Texas doesn't have to recognize it. Also, if one state determines that marriage is between a man and a woman then they don't have to recognize same sex marriages from another state. It has to be "apples to apples."

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom