• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    popper,

What really "gets on my nerves" is the LAMESTREAM MEDIA constantly whining about "civilian casualties", when anyone who has been "in country" KNOWS that there are FEW or NO actual civilians in terrorist-controlled areas. = The people in those areas are: Terrorists, Colloborators, Criminals & Hostages.
    (The actual civilians flee the areas when the criminal terrorist groups move in IF THEY CAN.)

yours, satx
    Target Sports

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    popper,

What really "gets on my nerves" is the LAMESTREAM MEDIA constantly whining about "civilian casualties", when anyone who has been "in country" KNOWS that there are FEW or NO actual civilians in terrorist-controlled areas. = The people in those areas are: Terrorists, Colloborators, Criminals & Hostages.
    (The actual civilians flee the areas when the criminal terrorist groups move in IF THEY CAN.)

yours, satx

Exactly how much time do you have boots-on-the-ground in "those" countries? I've been to a few such places, and the vast majority of people I met while there want the same things people want in this country...food, a roof over their heads, and a safe environment to raise their families.

So, to put it bluntly for you, there most certainly are innocent civilians who are victims of circumstances far beyond their control; and we (the US) do have a responsibility to protect them, even from our own forces.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

About 37 months broken into 4 deployments.
    (How many months do YOU have in "close combat" with terrorists, common criminals & narcotrafficantes??)

In my experience the INNOCENT CIVILIANS flee once it starts getting "sporty" IF they can. - Obviously the ones held as "human shields", hostages & those who could NOT leave (for a variety of reasons like infirmity/age/etc.) don't fit the other possible categories of "innocent civilians".
    IF the "civilians" are actually providing material support to the terrorists/common criminals/pirates/narcotrafficantes, making/placing IED, offering the insurgents information on friendly forces and/or are shooting at us, they are NOT "innocents", imo.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

In one of those "not so lovely garden spots" we caught a "LOT of criticism" from the press for shooting an "innocent civilian", who was at the time of his death was shooting out the window of his house at our forces. - He wounded two of out Mike Papas before being taken down by one of our "designated marksmen".

Just because you aren't wearing something like a uniform OR are not "officially part of the insurgent force" does NOT mean that you are an "innocent bystander" who was wounded/killed.

Many situations "in country" are NOT as simple as the media would have you believe.

yours, satx

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Many situations "in country" are NOT as simple as the media would have you believe.

Yep, mama-san, who offered to do the laundry, was often the wife/sister/mother of the VC who went dinky-dow through the perimeter wire at night.

When your enemy's indigenous ... "If you didn't put it down, don't pick it up".

ETA: Speel chcek

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Max, I can’t speak for anyone else but I can speak for myself. I’m not blindly infatuated with seals but I have worked with quite a few over the years. And they all had and have my respect.

Having said that, the men in the article you referenced are a disgrace. I hope the guilty are punished severely for taking that soldiers life.

What I find more disturbing is our nations failure to take care of veterans. We can provide for illegals, who imho, are POS. But we cannot take care of our own? What and the fk has gone wrong with our nation?

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Max, I can’t speak for anyone else but I can speak for myself. I’m not blindly infatuated with seals but I have worked with quite a few over the years. And they all had and have my respect.

I have worked with a few myself, and the vast majority are solid individuals; but some believe that simply because he's a SEAL, there is no way that Gallagher could have committed these crimes.

Sadly, the SOF community has had more than its fair share of seedy individuals; and they need to be held accountable no different than any other servicemember.

As stated, his service can be brought up through his character statements...

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I chuckled a moment ago at the thought of who founded six and red cell. I know Dick, he’s a fkn character. A throat slittin pirate for damn sure.

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in some cases, does it.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Sadly, the SOF community has had more than its fair share of seedy individuals; and they need to be held accountable no different than any other servicemember.

As stated, his service can be brought up through his character statements...

Funny thing is, you don’t work in SOCOM without intelligence and ability. And I’d rather have an OG thug/warrior monk watching my six than an overly compassionate empathetic Twinkie.

It’s a catch 22. You’ve got to be a principled thug. You won’t survive mentally otherwise. Makes me wonder how that army operator passed selection if he had the mindset to be stepping on toes and shit.

edit - I wasn’t there, for all I know the entire story could be bullshit. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was. I do know that hazing goes on. And worse if you step out of your lane.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Funny thing is, you don’t work in SOCOM without intelligence and ability. ...

It’s a catch 22, you’ve got to be a principled thug. You won’t survive mentally otherwise.

I’ll disagree on principle. Unless things have changed in the last three years, Tier 1 units screen at selection for traits like this and continually re-assess.

Tier 2 is a service specific story, unless a formal T1 support agreement is in place.

I can only speak to operators; support elements like JCU, etc., are a crap shoot any way/any day. T1 guys are more likely to be cut from the same bolt of cloth as Hugh Thompson:

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/07/us/hugh-thompson-62-who-saved-civilians-at-my-lai-dies.html

than not.

Unfortunately, that seems to be less likely the case than in the past; probably (not specifically) because of the quality of direct assess candidates beginning as early 2004.

I realize all those previous words are wishy-washy. Unfortunately that was my experience with T1s across my career from 92-16.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Huge update in the trail... a witness claimed that he caused the death of the terrorist and not Chief Gallagher.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Huge update in the trail... a witness claimed that he caused the death of the terrorist and not Chief Gallagher.

vmax,

IF that is true, my guess is that the case against our SEAL just fades away.

yours, satx

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    He was the defense's witness. They gave him immunity. The lead JAG officer has already been relieved of his duty. We have seen where the guys who wear the stars have also been relieved for improper command influence. I trust military justice to bend you over if politics is involved. It is the Senate who has a voice in officer promotions. Become the victim of a witch hunt of a Senator in Congress and see what kind of Justice you get. They can pick up the phone and call the guys who wear the stars.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    He was the defense's witness. They gave him immunity. The lead JAG officer has already been relieved of his duty. We have seen where the guys who wear the stars have also been relieved for improper command influence. I trust military justice to bend you over if politics is involved. It is the Senate who has a voice in officer promotions. Become the victim of a witch hunt of a Senator in Congress and see what kind of Justice you get. They can pick up the phone and call the guys who wear the stars.

If stars are involved, politics is involved ...

Top Bottom