• Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    New Colts are pretty nice and a step
    Up from Springfield. IMO

Going back over thirty years since buying my first 1911, I have seen pretty much the exact opposite. The Colts were nice, but the SA 1911's were nicer IMO, for less money.

I won't pass on buying a Colt 1911 at the right price, and I have owned a few over the years, but for the most part, you are paying for name on the side of the pistol. IMO, there are just many better values for a 1911 than the Colt's.
    Capitol Armory ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Going back over thirty years since buying my first 1911, I have seen pretty much the exact opposite. The Colts were nice, but the SA 1911's were nicer IMO, for less money.

I won't pass on buying a Colt 1911 at the right price, and I have owned a few over the years, but for the most part, you are paying for name on the side of the pistol. IMO, there are just many better values for a 1911 than the Colt's.
    True but all guns were better 30 and more years ago. Hand crafted not mega machine produced.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    What would be a good " Entry 500-800" 1911
    My first one was a Springfield USGI model. I don't know if hey still make it, but it was in that range a the time.
    But you know.....inflation.....Biden economy....
    It's a well made pistol and I still have it. Probably ten years or more old to me.
    Next was a Remington R1. Also very well made. Also still have it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Handle a STI, Baer, Ed Brown...the others mentioned become "also-ran". And there's another level of guns that put those to shame...and on and on. Then again, as you take that step, add about $1k to the budget (or more). Are they worth it? Highly subjective and personal - most I know carry the best gun they can personally afford. Others are just cheap (aka the guy in the 90k truck wanting a $200 gun for his wife to carry to "keep her safe"). I have truck guns that I'm not going to cry about if they get scratched - but if I'm going into a "hot zone", the Elektra IS going with me, no matter what.

SimonRL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Planet Earth
    My first one was a Springfield USGI model. I don't know if hey still make it, but it was in that range a the time.
    But you know.....inflation.....Biden economy....
    It's a well made pistol and I still have it. Probably ten years or more old to me.
    Next was a Remington R1. Also very well made. Also still have it.
    The Springfield GI model is still available for $500 and change. I have seen them in Shoot Point Blank just recently. They also had the RIA Tac FS in stock. Springfield’s 1911s are outstanding quality for price across their entire range. I have a stainless Range Officer that is an unbelievable shooter and it looks fantastic.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The Springfield GI model is still available for $500 and change. I have seen them in Shoot Point Blank just recently. They also had the RIA Tac FS in stock. Springfield’s 1911s are outstanding quality for price across their entire range. I have a stainless Range Officer that is an unbelievable shooter and it looks fantastic.
    From my best recollections, Springfield Armory hasn't made the GI model in several years, and the lowest priced 1911 they offer is the Mil-Spec Legacy with a MSRP of $640.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I like Colts.
    Springfield are also good guns.

I like Colts as well, but I just believe there are much better values when it comes to a 1911 these days. Personally, I think SA has better grasp of what 1911 customers want in a 1911. They IMO, offer a greater value for the money spent. They have a very broad range of models to choose from in many different price ranges.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Charles Daly & Rock Island seem to have the best reviews for least expensive 1911's

Between these two which would be the better one
    Rock Island Armory or other Filipino made 1911s are good to go

or you could get a CZ97 or a Tanfoglio Witness in .45 Auto. :^)

Top Bottom