Texas SOT

Need .30 cal can: YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom vs AAC 762-SDN-6 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you get?

• YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom

Votes: 9 52.9%
    • AAC 762-SND-6

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I need a 30 cal can. These two are what I have narrowed it down to. Help me decide!

YHM 762 Ti Phantom

Pros:
    Super light, minimal point of impact shift (that's important for my setup)
    A little longer and quieter
    Comes with flash hider mount
    A little less expensive

Cons:
    Ugly mounting hardware
    Possible wear and tear on titanium teeth from screwing down against steel lock ring? (may not be an issue)

AAC 762-SDN-6
    Pros:
    Nicer looking
    Nicer looking mounting hardware (flash hider)
    Much better ratcheting lock down system (no possible wear on teeth issues)

Cons:
    More expensive, does not come with flash hider mount, which are also more expensive
    Tuning fork "ring" from open 3 prong flash hider after fire (small annoyance)
    Heavier = more POI shift
    Slightly louder

Can any one think of anything else I missed? Which one would you get?
    Capitol Armory ad

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I have a AAC762-SDN6 can waiting at NFA dealer for me to pickup. That being said, I hear so many negative things about the POI shift on AAC 51T mounts. Like Cody said, I'd be curious to know what you are putting it on? I like Scaps direct thread Thunderbeast. If I were putting this on a long range rifle, a direct thread can would be the obvious decision. Long Range Semi-Auto, I might consider a SureFire(despite the fact I hate them). For a 762 carbine, I like the 2 choices you've listed. I might be more inclined to try YHM b/c I am growing less and less thrilled with the Cerebus company that bought AAC. If I went with an AAC, I'd tryu and get one that is compatible with their newer 90T mounts like the SR7.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    What are you putting it on?

An M1A with a Burris eliminator that has a slight issue with the vltor rail that's on it. It wants to shoot low so that my elevation on the scope is nearly maxed out at zero. If I get a big -12" POI shift some are reporting with the SS version of the YHM can, I'll need a different scope, or I'm gonna have to figure out how to shim the rail (it's already shimmed in one place, but I haven't had a chance to get out to the range and see how much elevation I have gained) Anyway I want to keep it light so the shift is minimal. A few inches shouldn't be a problem, but a foot definitely will be. 5-6 ounce difference between the two cans.

Also a PTR91, A VEPR SBR when I get that done, an AAC 300 SBR build that's in the works, and maybe PTR91 PWD SBR if I decide I like it enough. Basically anything I've got in 30 cal. (also 5.56)

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    If you want to limit POI shift, then explore the AAC SR7 and the SureFire 762 options(though I absolutely hate recommending SF to anyone- but their cans are known for less shift than others on the market).

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I have a AAC762-SDN6 can waiting at NFA dealer for me to pickup. That being said, I hear so many negative things about the POI shift on AAC 51T mounts. Like Cody said, I'd be curious to know what you are putting it on? I like Scaps direct thread Thunderbeast. If I were putting this on a long range rifle, a direct thread can would be the obvious decision. Long Range Semi-Auto, I might consider a SureFire(despite the fact I hate them). For a 762 carbine, I like the 2 choices you've listed. I might be more inclined to try YHM b/c I am growing less and less thrilled with the Cerebus company that bought AAC. If I went with an AAC, I'd tryu and get one that is compatible with their newer 90T mounts like the SR7.

Thanks for the info. Yeah surefire is nice, but I haven't even looked at them because they are WAY super expensive. I didn't know there were issues the the 51T mounts. They look really nice, and I like the way you can push the button on the can to unscrew it without the teeth grinding like on the YHM. Titanium is supposed to be pretty hard (34 Rockwell or something like that) which is not quite as hard a steel, but much better than aluminum. Maybe a little grease on the teeth will prevent too much wear and tear. And if nothing else YHM has a lifetime warranty if it gets hosed up because of a design flaw. I want to go with QD because I want to put it on a lot of stuff. If I was really serious I would build a bolt gun and go with thread on. But I really just want to suppress my 30 cals. Going on a stamp spree this year.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I agree, Surefire is ridiculous with their pricing on everything they sell- flashlights, pens, suppressors, etc. Another issue people have with AAC 51T mounts besides POI shift is the "tuning fork" ring they make when fired.

Here is a video from Silencerco making fun of the 51T mounts:

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Haha. Yeah, but the FHs are nice to look at (compared to the butt ugly YHM mount), and the ratchet system seems better than YHM. You're not going to get real quiet with a 7.62 anyway, where that ring would make too much difference. Maybe with a 300BLK for stealthy CQB work it would be an issue. But I am not an 'operator' LOL.

Maybe I should wait for the 7.62 Saker to come out...

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Waiting is the hardest part of the NFA game. My biggest regret was I didn't start with a .22 silencer before I ran out of "fun money". Lol. But once my financial house gets back in order, a Silencerco Sparrow is first on the list. I really Silecncerco as a company, the best of all the Suppressor Makers. They are good people who genuinely care about the industry.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I've been on the phone with Silencerco and they were cool and responsive to my questions. Responded to emails, and helped me get hold of some mounts I needed. They also will upgrade older cans with new guts if there has been an improvement in the design, plus the life time warranty. And they acquired SWR which also has some badass cans. Definitely a good company by all accounts. I wish they would hurry up and get that new Saker out. That will probably happen right after I drop some dough on one of these... Surefire is just too crazy expensive. If I was shooting suppressed as part of my job (on the tax payer dime) that would be the way to go no doubt. But I'm just and average joe having some fun, and I'm already at my limit for what seems reasonable to spend on a .30 can.

For 22 I'm thinking the Specter II, but that will be a ways down the road.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    O, and FYI if you're ever near Houston you're more than welcome to come shoot my AAC 762SDN6 when I pick it up.
    Thanks! Unfortunately I'm about 15-16 hours west of there on I-10. But I hope to move back into central Texas (Hill Country) sometime within the next few years.

BLAKEinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Benbrook
    I would get the YHM to me its a better can and they make a dedicated mount that replaces the front sight base, and yeah the mount is ugly but you dont see it with a can on lol

I dont really care for AAC cans or their mounts especially seeing a can with the new 90T mount pop off a SAW at the SAL shoot it went about 35ft lol

Dave from Liberty also asked Mike Mers about how the new mount was holding and he said after hanging his head down low so far its holding

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I have the 51T. I hardly notice the ring during firing. I only really hear it when I charge the weapon. With the can on, I don't hear it at all. With the can off, the damn gun is so loud, who cares if it rings a little.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco

Very nice. Thanks for posting that.

I don't mind if I loose the front sight on the M1A since it's scoped 100% of the time.

-edit-
    That thing was right there on the Silencershop website, and I guess I overlooked it for the price. Definitely a tad on the pricey side. And I would need one of these for $165... Ouch. Also would need to find adapters for 15x1 HK threads or have them made (TROS).

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I went Yankee because it will work on any 30 cal so I will move it to my 300 win mag,when I decide to buy a new chassis for it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Precision comes at a price. I have almost no poi shift between a plain bbl and the can.

Tapatalk sent it.

Top Bottom