Need .30 cal can: YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom vs AAC 762-SDN-6 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you get?

• YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom

Votes: 9 52.9%
    • AAC 762-SND-6

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    The guy who owns silencershop.com rates the 762-SDN-6 as his favorite .30 cal QD type can. It is a bit heavier than the Ti stuff though. I'm thinking something weird happened with that SAW. I launched a break one time on my VEPR, but it was a crappy design that attached to the barrel with 3 hex screws, that were not torqued down good enough. Went about 80 yds down range...

The breakout FH/breaks look promising. But I wonder how much abuse a break causes to the sides of the blast baffle in the can. Especially if it keeps getting blasted in the same place every time. I'm sure if it was an issue, they wouldn't be making and selling them that way.
    Guns International

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The guy who owns silencershop.com rates the 762-SDN-6 as his favorite .30 cal QD type can. It is a bit heavier than the Ti stuff though. I'm thinking something weird happened with that SAW. I launched a break one time on my VEPR, but it was a crappy design that attached to the barrel with 3 hex screws, that were not torqued down good enough. Went about 80 yds down range...

The breakout FH/breaks look promising. But I wonder how much abuse a break causes to the sides of the blast baffle in the can. Especially if it keeps getting blasted in the same place every time. I'm sure if it was an issue, they wouldn't be making and selling them that way.

I think the story of the SAW brake flying was in reference to one of the new 90T mounts that would presumably for their new SR7(not an 762SD or 762SDN6). I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. I wasn't there.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Yeah, that what he said. You would think a 90 tooth would be bigger and beefier and therefore better than a 51T. But I can't seem to find any pics of one. I still think something weird must have happened, like something was not put on quite right, and then they used it on a belt-fed...

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Look at the difference in the threads, teeth and bearing surfaces.

9X5Gm.png

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    But if its flying off the end of the barrel, it doesn't matter how many teeth right? I thought the teeth connected the can to the brake. The barrel still screws in below. Which leads me again to my question, how is the mountig of a 90T brake onto a barrel any different than the 51T brake? They both screw on with a little locktite to hold it down.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    90T design allows them to run a tighter thread holding the can on while giving them more finite adjustment to make sure that the thread ending or suppressor tightening up had less a chance of falling in between the teeth getting rid of the the complained slop in the 51T design. More teeth and a tighter thread handle both of those issues.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    OK, Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. I understand the 90T mounts reduces the "slop" people complained about from the 51T. But they both screw on the barrel of a gun the same way. So why are 90Ts allegedly flying off of barrels(a problem not complained of with 51T)?

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I don't know about any of that as I haven't read up on it.

Both the 90T and the 51T attach via a thread on the barrel it self. Perhaps AAC made a few out of spec threads for the barrel. I don't know.

I'm just saying how the 90T keeps a tighter hold on the can via the 51T.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Hmmm, I wonder how much of an issue that will be with the YHM. Maybe not a big one long as you make sure stop on the same tooth every time. Maybe do some adjustment so that it bottoms out on right when it clicks into place on the last tooth.

yhm_3300a-ti_3.jpg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    But if its flying off the end of the barrel, it doesn't matter how many teeth right? I thought the teeth connected the can to the brake. The barrel still screws in below. Which leads me again to my question, how is the mountig of a 90T brake onto a barrel any different than the 51T brake? They both screw on with a little locktite to hold it down.

Don't they both screw on 1/2 by 28 and get locktited? Should be no difference.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    The brake is attached to the bbl in such a way that it shouldn't come off.
    The can is then threaded onto the brake and that's where the teeth come into play.
    My money says the guy that put the can on the saw didn't make sure it was latched good.

Tapatalk sent it.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    The brake is attached to the bbl in such a way that it shouldn't come off.
    The can is then threaded onto the brake and that's where the teeth come into play.
    My money says the guy that put the can on the saw didn't make sure it was latched good.

Tapatalk sent it.

Or he didn't correctly mount the brake. That happened to me after my first outing with my SBR. Went to take the can off, and the brake came off with it. Doh, but it was faulty locktite(old as shit stuff my dad had in his reloading room FOREVER). I followed the same mounting procedure and used just a few dabs of Locktite that came with a LaRue mount, problem solved.

Guess I'm just throw off by the rumor of a rumor of Mers holding his head to the ground and intimation that the 90T mounts aren't holding. I just have a hard time understanding that. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I'm just saying I don't understand the science of how its possible. Maybe "taking the slop" out of the mount puts more stress on the spot where the brake and barrel connect? I just honestly don't know.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom