ARJ Defense ad

Need advice - Want to get my 13 year son his first gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonypaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Pflugerville
    Im wanting to take my son to a gun safety class and get him his first gun for his 13th birthday. Im looking at getting him a .22 rifle in a AR replica style. Something like a H&K Rimfire or a Chiappa but I know nothing about these types of guns only what I have read online. I want something safe (most important) and something thats not going to give him trouble. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Hurley's Gold

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depending on your budget, I would try and start with a .22 revolver or bolt/lever/pump action/action where each follow up shot would require more than an accidental second shot. Assuming he has not had any experience.

If he has had experience you can go with any of the variants of 15-22 or even a Ruger 10/22. There are so many options for rimfire out there I could go on for days.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I got my son a Ruger 10/22 for his first and put a Tapco stock with 30 round magazines and a red dot scope. Kinda ARish, but not an AR. Great aftermarket support for the 10/22. My son after the last trip to the range swicthed back to the wooden stock and wants to get more accustomed to the iron sights....which I think is wonderful. Anyone can shoot well with optics....shooting with irons is more challenging, I think.

tonypaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Pflugerville
    Thanks for the link! I went ahead and ordered the "Archangel" its very inexpensive. It will be a good starter gun for him, and Im sure he will out grow it in about a month.......

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    What ever you get, make sure it's a .22 rifle

What kinda .22?
    I would recommend a Savage bolt-action, a Ruger 10/22, or a Marlin 60.

Also get him a NRA membership.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Make sure you have the base rifle for the stock. I think the Archangel is a stock for the Riger 10/22. You still need the actual rifle. If you did decide on the 10/22, it is a great choice. Great for beginners to learn (I have taught quite a few) and fun for an experienced shooter!

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So before I throw out a recommendation let me ask you a question. What kind of shooting do you like to do and would you like to do with your son? Are you a big pistol or rifle shooter?

For a rifle I would recommend either a 10/22 or a S&W M&P 15-22. I have the 15-22 and use it extensively for my 3 gun practice.

For a pistol I would look at the kind of pistol you shoot most and go from there. Are you a Glock guy? Or maybe a 1911 guy? Do you plan to shoot with your son a lot on one of these types of platforms? If so check out Home. They are a great company that makes .22LR conversion kits for popular platforms. The worksmanship of their product is top notch and it is something that you and your son could have fun together with for a long time. It will also let your son learn how to work a common pistol that would be the next step up for him.

In the end take what you like, what you want to do, and compare it to your budget. With the rising cost of ammo there are a lot more .22 products hitting the market.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Texas
    My daughter now 7 yo, with her first rifle.. An HK 416, only thing I added was the Grip Pod. I told her she could pick out her own as long as it was in .22 cal.
    She looked up at me and said "daddy, I want one like yours." happy day, and very proud. She also has since acquired a Walther P22 and has a blast with it.
    You might want to let him take a look at what your offering him.. See how it feels and fits him first? Gives him a sense that your trusting him more and being more responsible. The bond I have with my daughters and guns go's deep simply because I let them have a voice to, even if it's choosing what targets or training we do for the day. Glad your teaching him, we need more parents to bring their kids out and teach them this freedom! HOOAH! Enjoy and as always stay safe!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336030808.854071.jpg

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Didn't every kid start with a 10/22? I know I did and every kid I grew up with.

nope not here, my dad started me out on a russian sks and ar15 and then a 12 gauge when i got around 10 yrs old. lemme see if the pic of me at 5 with an ar is on my phone. and ill edit this.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My first firearm was a Mossberg 46B bolt action .22 rifle. I grew up in Chicago and there there were very few places to shoot a gun. I carried that rifle on the school bus to High School many times. We locked them in the armory during school then shot in the range in the HS basement. After the Rifle Club session, I carried the Mossberg on the bus back home.

Fast forward some decades, my mean old "B" of an older sister screwed me out of that Mossberg 46B when my parents passed. I sure would like to replace that rifle. It wasn't a great rifle but it was mine!

Flash

Top Bottom