• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    BenE, appreciate the alternative. Part of the reason for the red dot is to make sighting easier in low light. He was doing laundry and then started playing with his gun in the closet (har har). When I came upstairs he was standing in the bedroom, closet light on, bedroom light off and hallway light on. It was a lighting situation that allowed enough light to ID an intruder, but he said he was having a hard time picking up the iron sights. The rear is a Matech and front is FSB. He does have an eye issue, an image tracking/matchup & depth percep. hitch that put him out of flying. Dark/low light is more difficult for him. If he says he can't pick up irons in low light we'll find a solution for him since he'll be lead in the event of an event, if you know what I'm saying.

Buy once, cry once - Aimpoint!
    I gave him that too. But he's one of those with less aversion to risk. IOW he likes to gamble and learn the hard way. It ain't worth a marital argument - pick your battles and all that LOL

Yes, that is obviously one of the best benefits of a quality RDS. Just to be clear, I was only explaining to Shorts that BEO with an Aimpoint is no more difficult than with an Eotech, as her SO had a different opinion.

I did give him that info and he seemed surprised but pleased to know this is the case. While it may not actually be an issue perhaps the smaller the body of the RDS the more it impresses that capability, you know, it doesn't look bulky like it blocks view.

I have a Primary Arms micro dot, copy of the Aimpoint T-1/H-1, and like it a lot. I had an Aimpoint H-1 and returned it because the red dot looked fuzzy to me and I was not happy with the money I spent on it just to be fuzzy. I then read on another forum that Primary Arms micro dot had a very crisp 3 MOA dot so I have it a shot for $89. I'm very happy with my cheap imitation Aimpoint. The dot to me is much more crisp than the H-1 I had previously. It's funny because the PA micro sits in a Larue QD mount which cost more than the actual optic.

I have not used a brightness setting past 3 on the optic. 3 is enough for me to see outside on a sunny day against most backgrounds/targets. The settings go up to 11 and claim a 1000hr battery life on a medium setting using lithium batteries IIRC. I believe that is the same battery life as the EOTech 512 using lithium batteries. Yes it's made in China and it is cheap, but I have yet to cry with purchasing it.

Just my experience with it so far. Time may tell otherwise.

Appreciate the input.

At this point I'm tempted to put in an order for a PA. It isn't that expensive and users seem pleased. He's got a birthday coming up anyway. If he likes it he can keep it. If not we can keep looking.
    Capitol Armory ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Got parts in the shopping cart. Would yall mind double checking that I've got it correct please?

Primary Arms MD-08 + AD T1 riser. This setup ought to give the lower 1/3 cowitness, right?

Yep if all things are equal, lower third look-through. It should be just fine for a entry level RDS. Just me, but I wouldn't spend the extra on the QR base, unless it would come off and on often.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    rifleworkbench_zpsfd1a3011.gif

Gotta love that PA Micro Dot!

I can't tell you much about the mount options. Mine was a special edition Micro Dot they had on sale during the holidays. They made a shipment that was supposed to be going on some rifles, and then the order got canceled. So they sold all the MicroDots at a good price for the holidays. What you saw is what you got.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yep if all things are equal, lower third look-through. It should be just fine for a entry level RDS. Just me, but I wouldn't spend the extra on the QR base, unless it would come off and on often.

Hmm, that's true. I just selected a riser from the pull down menu there with the MD-08. I haven't even looked at the standard risers. I'll go do that. The RDS will be staying place. Really see no reason it'd be coming off and on the rifle.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Gotta love that PA Micro Dot!

I can't tell you much about the mount options. Mine was a special edition Micro Dot they had on sale during the holidays. They made a shipment that was supposed to be going on some rifles, and then the order got canceled. So they sold all the MicroDots at a good price for the holidays. What you saw is what you got.

SJ, great pic :shades:
    Question on the mount you have. Is that a quick release or is it fixed? Is it this one? https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Basic-Micro-Dot-Riser-p/lhm-1b.htm

This one ^ is the one PA bundles with the MD-08 as a fixed option. Looking at it, the clamping foot not running the entire length of the body is a turn off. Is yours the same? If so, what is you opinion of it staying put and remaining straight & tight on the rail?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It appears to be the same one as in the picture. All of thier mounts come set up for a standard flat top AR-as in they make the adjustment as part of thier QC. I took mine out of the box and mounted it with no problem. It stays pretty solid.

My exact one is the Primary Arms MD-SP if you wanna look into it. The mount comes included and its a great price at right about $60.

All the reviews I read are talking about the one that came out in June. That one doesn't allow for a killflash because it's basically the MD-06. I believe mine is based off the MD-08 or MD-09, and did have the killflash option at purchase.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I snuck by the house to take these real quick. In one video review I read, it was brought up that the bolt pattern on the bottom of these is exactly the same as the Aimpoint Micro, so that really opens up your mount options.

I do need to check again tonight though-i believe on the SP, your laser mount is at 6 instead of 4.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hey thanks! Those are great pics.

Yep, saw the micro T1 mounts will work. The thing I'm finding though is they are the high dollar quick release versions (ADM, Larue, Bobro). I'd like to find a fixed version though. The only fixed version I've found is the PA thumbscrew riser with the short clamp leg.

ETA: Found Seekins Precision makes a fixed riser with a good clamp setup. It runs ~$75. If the PA riser doesn't workout I'll spend on the Seekins for the fixed or the ADM for the quick release.

Here's a good visual on the Seekins & MD-08
    http://firespeedtactical.com/primary-arms-micro-dot-w-removable-base-and-seekins-riser-mount/

Last edited:

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    GEN2 PA and love it
    PA30CRGENII-8T.jpg

Had the chance to compare this to my buddy's Aimpoint M2 side-by-side at Hicksville. For the life of me I couldn't find $300 difference. His Lower/Night Vision settings became more visible at a lower number 2 vs 3 or 4 on the PA. But my dot was just as crisp and just as accurate. I'm sure his battery life is better, but I always keep an extra on my belt and a few extras in the truck. Moisture, shock, waterproof etc. was untested, but that may be what the $300 buys you that I couldn't see. Otherwise the PA is nearly an identical clone.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I snuck by the house to take these real quick. In one video review I read, it was brought up that the bolt pattern on the bottom of these is exactly the same as the Aimpoint Micro, so that really opens up your mount options.

I do need to check again tonight though-i believe on the SP, your laser mount is at 6 instead of 4.

I have heard alot about that PA clone but have never heard any range reports on them. My concern would be how well it holds zero.

I have aimpoint micro and some clones and the zero issue is about the only thing different. Dot quality is about the same.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You're welcome.

Went ahead and placed the order. Looking forward to it.
    On my concern about the clamping leg, I'll cross that bridge if we get there. Won't overthink it.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Awesome, Shorts! Which one did you go for? The MD-08, or the SP? Nice link, too.

HH, yup-thats the killflash threads. So thats the sight I wish I had bouggt after purchasing the standard 30mm sight. I think they should discontinue the one I bought and just carry the one you have.

Top Bottom