• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I think a safe would slow a potential thief down better than the cabinet. Plus most safes offer some level of fire protection. The cabinet appears to offer none. Cabinet would probably allow you more storage area than a quality safe in that price range. I've been starting to do some research myself lately. I'm definitely going to need a new safe soon.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Just went to a safe showroom and saw couple of them. My only concern is I live in a rental property, they day I move its gonna be a 800lbs pain in the donkey (haha you can't censor that).

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    An 800 pound pain is better than a potential loss. I don't know what the value of the contents is, but I do know people that have been robbed and lost it all because they did not have a safe.

To me, a storage cabinet would be adequate to keep kids out, but something more substantial is needed for things of value. Storage cabinets come with a wafer type lock that can be picked by almost anyone. It is easier to pick those locks than pry into the cabinet.

Last edited:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Also don't forget renter's insurance that covers firearms. I have some quality renter's insurance that gives me $75,000 in protection for firearms and lots of other coverage (it seriously covers just about anything). I pay just over $400 a year for it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Also don't forget renter's insurance that covers firearms. I have some quality renter's insurance that gives me $75,000 in protection for firearms and lots of other coverage (it seriously covers just about anything). I pay just over $400 a year for it.

Check your policy very carefully. Most insurance covers less than $1,000.00 for firearms. They are excluded totally by other policies.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I did. I talked to my agent at length about this topic. It was the #1 reason I got the insurance and a condition to my acquiring the insurance was they cover the actual replacement cost of all firearms I have.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This is TGT so get both. Ha.

Seriously, get a safe.

You do have a good budget and many options. There are modular units and even models with removable doors if moving it is a major concern.

Mounting it can also be a concern since you are renting. One more reason to go as heavy as possible.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Check your policy very carefully. Most insurance covers less than $1,000.00 for firearms. They are excluded totally by other policies.

Most homeowner policies limit theft of firearms to $1,000, $2,500 or whatever is stated in the policy. For other covered perils such as fire, firearms are typically covered to the policy limits for contents. Jewelry is typically handled the same way.

The key is to review the policy's Special Limits of Liability which is where these specials limits are listed.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    So now since I am going with the "Safe" option, another problem is trying to figure out a way to get the big donkey safe inside house. Narrow hallway and 90 degree turns into rooms are nearly impossible to get the safe in. I will try to get the safe guy to come over and guestimate.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    So now since I am going with the "Safe" option, another problem is trying to figure out a way to get the big donkey safe inside house. Narrow hallway and 90 degree turns into rooms are nearly impossible to get the safe in. I will try to get the safe guy to come over and guestimate.

Tip the safe a few inches and roll a dozen golf balls under it.
    Might take two hands to push it on carpet.
    Spin it around to make any corner.
    Take the balls from the back side and keep putting them in front

Two 3/4" wooden dowells about 18" to go over thresholds.

No damage to my flooring.

I paid a mover to shuffle my first safe into place.
    I saw the guy do this and have never paid a mover since because its stoopid easy.
    I asked about it and he said if it worked for the egyptians ... nuff said.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Tip the safe a few inches and roll a dozen golf balls under it.
    Might take two hands to push it on carpet.
    Spin it around to make any corner.
    Take the balls from the back side and keep putting them in front

Two 3/4" wooden dowells about 18" to go over thresholds.

No damage to my flooring.

I paid a mover to shuffle my first safe into place.
    I saw the guy do this and have never paid a mover since because its stoopid easy.
    I asked about it and he said if it worked for the egyptians ... nuff said.

Yeah $225 for local 10 mile delivery seems insanely expensive.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Most homeowner policies limit theft of firearms to $1,000, $2,500 or whatever is stated in the policy. For other covered perils such as fire, firearms are typically covered to the policy limits for contents. Jewelry is typically handled the same way.

The key is to review the policy's Special Limits of Liability which is where these specials limits are listed.

My renters insurance covers up to $2500, but I can get an additional policy to add more coverage on "collectable items".

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Glad you are going with the safe.

there are a couple of modular safes on the market now.

Zanoti (sp?) used to be the only one.

You can actually put it together in a closet, as a friend of mine did. Made it impossible to get out.

They are advertised in gun mags.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom