Military Camp

Need to escape from Massachusetts and looking for advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadyduk1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    Hello everyone. Hope all is well, and to any of you reading from Houston, I hope you get back on your feet soon.

I live deep inside enemy territory. Massachusetts. The land of Liz Warren, Jill Stein and A.G. Maura Healy. I need out. I did however fall in love with and marry a girl from here. She is reluctant to leave her family, but I cannot stand living here. We have always talked about moving somewhere else but the question is where?

A little about me/us. I grew up on a non functioning farm where we had 13 horses in rural NJ. The town was rural enough that there were no roads. Only postal routes. Guns were a part of my life for as long as I can remember albeit out of reach for the most part. Fast cars are a part of my DNA as well. I learned to drive when I was tall enough to see over the dash. Growing up in the middle of nowhere makes you self sufficient. I can, make my own soap, alcohol and was wrenching on things for as long as I can remember.

We moved to Massachusetts when I was a teenager and I realized very quickly that I did not quite fit. It took me a long time to figure out why.

As I got older I got pretty deep into racing cars and shootings sports. In both I was buying and building my own. Being into guns and cars in a state that doesn't want you to have either quickly throws you into politics if you are not the type to roll over and take a screwing. My political leanings and general philosophy on life are leave me alone, don't bother me and I won't bother you. If it's not hurting me and mine I don't care what you are doing. As for religion, we are both believers but do not attend church.

These things are what made me realize that I don't belong here. As a friend of mine said a while ago, getting my wife to be ready to move will take something affecting her. That seems to have happened. I've been a felon in waiting for some time now as after our attorney general reinterpreted the AWB which mirrors the old federal one without a sunset provision as there is no such thing as pre ban. If you own guns with evil features, or one that shares parts or operating systems with one, that is illegal. But since we are foolish gun people who didn't know any better, they pinky promise not to prosecute at this time.

Recently however the state changed how they inspect vehicles for safety and my 79 el Camino that I am restoring will never be legal for the roads in Massachusetts. I threw away the junk control arms in favor of boxed control arms with better suspension geometry. That is illegal to alter suspension. Inspections will now be monitored with 6 cameras and a body camera on the inspectors to ensure nothing is missed. We have about 20k into a 3/4 finished car that cannot be driven because the state says no.

Now my wife is becoming a bit more open to moving. There is a short list of states right now. Vt, Nh, Tn and potentially Ky. She loves Nashville. My criteria is semi simple. I need a minimum of 20 acres so I have space to grow food, and have chickens and goats. Going back to my roots so to say. I also need to have space for my cars and a workshop. I don't want to be looked down on for believing in personal freedom and the responsibility that comes with it, loving my guns, fast cars and my Pitt Bull. The modern sporting rifle of the dog world lol.
    I currently work as a forklift mechanic, my wife sells office furniture. I am looking to move up the ladder into a more management role.

All that being said, where should we be looking? We are not wealthy by any means so plopping down millions for farmland or a ranch is off the table. My wife wants to visit Texas as she has never been but doesn't know where to visit other than chip and joanna Gaines bakery in Waco. Any suggestions?

To anyone who read through all that, you must be a saint lol kudos.
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

What do you like to do while on vacation? Texas has everything so we can make recommendations but need a little more input.

As far as where to move, that is going to be up to you. I would start putting in applications where you would like to work and let that help decide. No sense in making plans to move if you can't find a decent job there.

Good luck.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    As Dawico said, we have it all. Since you're officially a masshole, that's right, I said it, I think you should visit the Corpus Christi area in the winter. Just to see the huge difference.

Shadyduk1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    Lately our "vacations" have been let's see what it's like to live here type trips. My wife tends to plan trips to places I have a carry permit for and Texas is one of those.

I'm pretty easygoing and don't care much about what we do. If i can squeeze in some history that would be fantastic. But any time in America is time well spent. My wife however likes shopping, visiting cafe's diners and things like that. Nighttime on vacation we would Typically hang out in a bar with some sort of live music. Nothing too fancy.
    Masshole? The words! They sting! Lol Thankfully I didn't pick up the accent. My wife has it from time to time.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Congrats on your wife. I'm glad she's supporting your wanting to move away from Mass rather than digging in her heels.

"Inspections will now be monitored with 6 cameras and a body camera on the inspectors to ensure nothing is missed."

DANG!

Shadyduk1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    While she isn't digging in her heels she is still reluctant to leave. She is very close to her mom and her sister has a baby with another on the way. It helps that she has family in texas, Houston area. She is also starting to get the feeling that she doesn't belong that i had from the moment we moved here. Working in Boston helps illustrate that point.
    The car thing is really opening her eyes to how bad it is living here. We sacrificed for 2 years so I could get the car built. Now with the stroke of a pen that car cannot be driven here. I haven't really even worked on it since independence day weekend. My fleet:
    20170527_193627.jpg

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Ooooh, E21! I had one when they were just a used car. Mine was sapphire silver, with orange turn signals. 100 mph max on the dot, and not a tick more, no matter how hard you tried.

Also, the car thing: unless you move to like Galveston or so, cars in Texas just don't rot like they do up North.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd move to Nashville from the Mass or NJ. It felt like Austin, well maybe a shade less yuppie. Its not going to be a cheap place to live, and you won't get 20 acres without moving to the boonies and keep things reasonable.

You do realize the urban areas are just as gun-unfriendly as the rest.

You might just need a move to a more rural area. I took my wife away from Oklahoma, but its "only" a 8 hour drive to their place. And her aunt lives right in the middle. Since my folks moved to Fort Collins, CO, its is hard knowing that I'm just going to miss on all the stuff that happens in my immediate family's life. I might see them twice a year, but its not getting easier as we are adding our second child any time now. I'm saying that you do lose something by moving away from family. Not saying you shouldn't, but its going to be harder on your wife than you.

Good luck, Sir. Hope you figure it out.

Shadyduk1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. My hope is to find something within a reasonable drive so if we wanted to do something we could. Currently if we want to go out to dinner and not be in a little pub we have to go about 45 minutes to a hour to do it.

I can't live in a city and neither can she. It's the family thing that's going to bother her. Unless I can convince her mom to retire a few years early and come with us. I'm working on that too since she wants to move south as well.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Texas is a big state, in case you hadn't noticed, it has cities and also plenty of open areas. I will also say that the majority of Texans have much the same attitude, pretty much the "If you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude. As said above, if you find a rural area you like and don't venture into the big cities much, (Liberal areas), I'm sure you will find much of what you are looking for, and the winters aren't nearly as harsh! Oh, and by the way, Welcome to TGT!

Shadyduk1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    That's why I started with the long winded first post. I am positively overwhelmed with trying to find a area to look at. I assumed city dwellers would be the same progressives I am surrounded by here. The further you move from them the more reasonable land is.
    Where I live is a small glimmer of sanity. As time goes on that will change. All of the sudden there are prius's and smart cars driving around. People are selling their farms and subdivisions are going in their place. It's not a good sign.
    I don't mind the winters so much, but I am typically ready for them. Living in a rural area means you might not get plowed out quickly, and the power might go out for a few days during a storm. No big deal.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Texas is a big ol' state, so that 3500/ac. is pretty average for where it is. It really depends on location. The closer to a population center, the pricier a big lot will be. So I'm on the outskirts of Houston, and my master planned subdivision lot is like $100k/ac. All that really means is my house and my lot occupy damned near the same square footage. Go get a huge tract down on the border, and you might only pay a few hundred an acre because it's really rough land.

What many people do, and what I'm personally looking to do, is live close to work and play an hour or so away from home. So I live near the city, 15 minutes door to door from my job, and I'm looking for acreage we can easily drive to Friday after work.

Texas has no income tax, so we make up for it with property tax more or less. However if you keep livestock, or do other agricultural things with your land, you can end up paying very little in property tax through an 'Ag exemption.'

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I can't say it's a good or a bad price, I just posted it as an example of what's for sale at what prices. The further away you get from an actual city, the cheaper it will be.

Top Bottom