• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I am facinated about this; " It's amazing that no one else was hurt as we all know .22's are one of the deadliest rounds cause they bounce & ricochet.. " I suppose I have been using the wrong .22 ammunition as I have never seen this happen in any game animal I ever shot with a .22 rimfire.
    DK Firearms

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    You know what they say about assumptions..
    They will blow a hole in you leg.

candallen,

In the US Forces, it is also often said that ASSUMPTIONS "make an ASS out of you & me".
    (For example ASSUMING that there is NOT some "crazy" who won't palm a live round & chamber it in a firearm NOT only will make you an ASS but but such a lunatic just MAY seriously wound or kill some innocent person.)

yours, satx

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    My dog LP packs a 22 cause she knows the truth!

IMG_6487.JPG

All jokes aside it blows my mind if this actually did happen. Complacency? Ignorance?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My dog LP packs a 22 cause she knows the truth!

View attachment 228395

All jokes aside it blows my mind if this actually did happen. Complacency? Ignorance?

IMO? Assumptions and stupidity by everyone involved. From the promoter, to the vendor, and the customer.

I'll bet not one of them checked to see if the firearm was loaded. The all probably assumed it was empty.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A couple of the gun shows I have gone to require, at the door, and at all vendor locations, that handguns are required to have a tie wrap thru them at all times. Just say-in.

Just about every gun show I have been to requires that. Either through the barrel, or in some way preventing operation of the action.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    We were at the big wanamacher gun show in Tulsa many years ago when I saw an obvious LE op going down: At least 8 deputies were advancing down 3 rows, hands on gun butts, scanning hard for someone or something.

Behind them were several show staff people, telling every vendor to check chambers before letting anyone else touch firearms. They were also announcing over the PA system, but it was so loud/echoey (is that a word?) that we couldn't understand what they were saying.

Deputies approached a guy wearing the Robin Williams rainbow suspenders over a dirty white tshirt and bluejeans. 2 of them grabbed him by his arms, cuffed him, quickly patted him down, removing a double handful of rounds, and chicken-wing marched him out of the show.

The vendor at the table I was talking with (ended up buying an HK p9m8 from him) said the guy was walking around and putting .45 acp rounds in random pistols, then walking away.

I always thought the 'safety' precautions and policies were kinda silly before that: Afterwards, and for the intervening 20+ years, I have thought they weren't stringent enough.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    A 6 next to the Shamrock Coffee vendor. You know I'm wide awake! Lol..........

Promoters are not checking the Vendors guns on their tables, vendors are not checking their own guns. If I was running the show I'd hire 2-3 people just to walk around and cut the ties off guns & check the chambers of every used gun in the show. ND's are usually associated with used firearms on non-FFL vendors tables. Almost every ND I've witnessed was from a used firearm and it was associated with a non FFL holder, a private individual set up as a vendor at a gun show... In the last 20 years I've witnessed easily 10 ND's and one of them involved a off duty police officer at the Tulsa Wanamacher Show. That bullet got a innocent bystander in the femur bone and he went to the floor.

This was a very unfortunate situation for everyone. I'm just glad no one was seriously injured. There was a emergency room paramedic in attendance at the show and he was on the scene immediately and assured everyone there was no serious injury, he did what he was trained to do and waited there with the 18 yr old for the ambulance paramedics to arrive.

So your solution is greater regulation and oversight? Perhaps holding the people actually responsible for the ND would be the smarter solution! Otherwise, it's a slippery slope as the next step would be more government intervention to keep us all even safer, and I think we have more than enough of that as it is!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    good habit to have, more people need to do it

Butchjones; luprof,

The BEST practice is to NOT pick-up any firearm at any vendor's exhibit W/O asking the vendor first IF it's OK to do so.
    (The cylinder on many revolvers will be "marked" by opening/closing a NEW revolver.)

Fwiw, in the days when I was an employee of a gunshow vendor, I've long ago lost count of how many IMPOLITE "shoppers" who grabbed a firearm & "snapped it" W/O asking & before I could stop them doing so.
    (We finally put everything "under glass".)

yours, satx

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Had nothing to do with it? They allowed the vendor to check his own guns, and I assume they just took his word for it?

Yeah, that worked out great.
    The promoters at the few shows where I have had a table took my word for it that my guns were unloaded. Of couse, the zip ties through the actions (which the promoter at only one of the shows went around to check) kind of made it obvious. I don't understand why a promoter would not require all actions to be zip tied or the firearms in some other way incapacitated from firing in the event it could not be zip tied through the action. I also do not understand why not all vendors secure them in such a manner.

As for the vendor checking the guns to see if they are loaded or not, that would require opening each action of each gun, do you think a promoter has the time to check however many thousands of guns are at such a large show? It would be impractical to say the least if not actually impossible to do before opening the show for business. The responsibility should be that of the vendor although the promoters should be responsible in as much as requiring zip ties (or some other method of making them safe). Checking that each gun is so tied would be much quicker than physically opening each action to assure all of the guns are not loaded and is practical. As I said, I have seen that done at one show and it worked out well, so that would be quite doable at any gun show in my opoinion.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I think if I were ever a vendor, I'd provide my own zip ties and make darn sure all the guns on my table were secured in such a manner. I mean, that would be a simple and inexpensive way of substantially reducing my own liability!

As far as these sickos who may go around loading live rounds into display guns, they need to have the book thrown at them! Good thing (for their sake), I wouldn't be their judge in court. They'd be looking at some serious time "in the big house"!

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Just great. A non-FFL vendor at a gun show with an ND. We don't want more background checks but this doesn't help the cause. I can hear the anti-2A now "screaming "gun show loophole".

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I found it interesting the police that checked the vendor's table actually found another gun with a .22 round loaded in the chamber! Either the vendor had absolutely no business (pardon the pun) being allowed in the venue to begin with, OR somebody was intentionally up to no good. (???)

[Just another reason I'd personally be putting zip ties on all my stuff!]

[ETA]: Until satx78247 and rmantoo posted their stories, it never would have dawned on me, there are sicko nuts like that floating around a gun show. (Even at my age, sometimes my own naïveté surprises me... and I've pretty much seen it all!)

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom