• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The nosiest I've been has been enquiring about who had control of the 40 caliber Smith sitting in his nightstand.

There were lots of young kids cruising through over their and I wanted to make sure it was put up and out of reach.
    I offered to put it in my safe, but they declined.

why I'm genuinely concerned about bat-shit girl
    Target Sports

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    And it continues ...

Oldest son is leaving for Virginia Saturday morning.
    Youngest daughter is going home Sunday.

Oldest son catches me esterday and asks if I would keep an eye on the place and do a wellness check on the widow.
    Not a problem at all.

He went on to ask that if I see the bat-shit crazy daughter over there, to go over and make sure everything is OK.
    Even went so far as to ask that I ask said daughter to leave.

I'm not getting into the family squabbles. The crazy daughter is freaking CRAZY.

YOu might want to look into Texas state law but you might have been "deputized" by the owner of the property. You should ask the widow (carefully) what she thinks as being deputized can give you some power in the eyes of the law. Meaning the use of force and the power to excuse others off of the property and so forth. Look it up.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I'll save most of the stories of relatives and neighbors pilfering my parents' house after my Dad passed away (my mom had died 2 years prior), but I'm reminded of one incident in particular. I had just walked into my parents' house after getting back there from my Dad's funeral, and the home phone was ringing. It was a lifelong neighbor and family "friend" from a mile up the street (who had not attended the funeral), expressing interest in buying my Dad's Ford F150. I told them that I did plan on selling it, but because they had called to ask about it "before the body was even cold", the truck could sit and rot away before I would even think of selling it to them, and then I slammed the phone in their ear. Still pisses me off to think about that incident.

I had a friend that died as a result of an accident several years ago. He and I had been friends most of our lives, and we shot a lot together. He'd acquired (through trading) a Poly-Tech M14/S and Winchester Defender from me a few months before he died, with the understanding that I could buy them off him for market value if I ever wanted them back or he wanted to sell.
    A few days after the funeral, the family approached me and told me they'd be emptying out his home within a few weeks, and asked if I'd like to come get some things. I made mention about the rifle and shotgun, because both had been my late father's, but didn't push the issue. I did make sure to mention that I'd be willing to buy them.
    I called his family a few weeks later, wondering when they were going to clean out the house, as they'd never contacted me. I was greatly upset to learn that they'd given them away to some guy with no connection to my friend. Why? Because I hadn't been calling them regularly to remind them!
    So, please, see both sides of the coin in these instances. I have seen to many get upset over items from estates being sold for below value or thrown away because somebody wasn't loud enough about their desire to acquire an estate item.

Eli

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Eli, you did miss reacquiring your dad's firearms and I'm sorry for that. But you did the right thing. No one wants to be hassled (as they might interpret it) for material things after a loved one passes.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    So, please, see both sides of the coin in these instances.

While your story might be slightly similar to mine, I fail to see even a hint of correlation such that I should have seen "both sides of the coin." Was I supposed to empathize with these greedy, discourteous, self-serving fucks for trying to grab my old man's truck just minutes after I buried him?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Attended his memorial yesterday.

What an honor it was to see this man receive the recognition he deserved.
    There was a 5-man honor guard, in full dress whites.
    3 volley salute
    American flag presentation
    Taps

God speed Master Chief Joseph Pepperman Jr.

veterans-day-2014.jpg

On a side note ...

The ceremony was held in the parking lot at a small hall that his doctor (and good friend) owned next to his practice.
    When we gathered outside and the 3-round salute was ordered, it was a lot louder than I expected. Probably should have had ear protection.
    I don't know the specs of the rounds used from the M1As, but the fireball was impressive.

Just across the street, maybe a 100 yards away was the county hospital.
    It was comical, almost to see all the noses pressed against hospital room windows.

My first thought was ... I hope someone called and warned the cops ....

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Attended his memorial yesterday.

What an honor it was to see this man receive the recognition he deserved.
    There was a 5-man honor guard, in full dress whites.
    3 volley salute
    American flag presentation
    Taps

God speed Master Chief Joseph Pepperman Jr.

veterans-day-2014.jpg

On a side note ...

The ceremony was held in the parking lot at a small hall that his doctor (and good friend) owned next to his practice.
    When we gathered outside and the 3-round salute was ordered, it was a lot louder than I expected. Probably should have had ear protection.
    I don't know the specs of the rounds used from the M1As, but the fireball was impressive.

Just across the street, maybe a 100 yards away was the county hospital.
    It was comical, almost to see all the noses pressed against hospital room windows.

My first thought was ... I hope someone called and warned the cops ....
    good and amen. GOD'S SPEED

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    While your story might be slightly similar to mine, I fail to see even a hint of correlation such that I should have seen "both sides of the coin." Was I supposed to empathize with these greedy, discourteous, self-serving $#@!s for trying to grab my old man's truck just minutes after I buried him?

Hey man, I don't know what they said to you, but, "If you decide to sell the truck, I'd like a crack at it" seems fair, while "I want your father's truck" seems pretty rude. Like I said, I've seen estates dumped for pennies on the dollar because an interested party didn't speak up!

Eli

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Mm... not quite right either. Shows absolutely zero empathy. How about, "I know you and your family are going through a very difficult and sad time right now. If there's anything you need just ask and, if I'm able, I'll help. I urge you to take your time in dealing with anything other than grieving and being there for each other." Then say nothing more. Mention nothing about material things. None of us need a truck, or anything else, that badly. There are things far more important than 'stuff'.

Last edited:

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm with Eli on his one.

You should follow the will of the deseased's, but it's just stuff. Sell it now or
    later if the will allows. He wasn't trying to steal it from the estate. I don't see the moral problem with asking if x item is for sale.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Hey man, I don't know what they said to you, but, "If you decide to sell the truck, I'd like a crack at it" seems fair

Did you miss the part where I said they were calling me the minute I walked into my father's house after returning from the funeral? Maybe I should have also mentioned that they knew exactly when the funeral was, and were probably watching out the window of their house to see when I returned.

Regardless, just a difference of opinion, I guess.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Mm... not quite right either. Shows absolutely zero empathy. How about, "I know you and your family are going through a very difficult and sad time right now. If there's anything you need just ask and, if I'm able, I'll help. I urge you to take your time in dealing with anything other than grieving and being there for each other." Then say nothing more. Mention nothing about material things. None of us need a truck, or anything else, that badly. There are things far more important than 'stuff'.

This guy gets it.

Top Bottom