• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    From one of our own TGT members (Thanks Joe!). I'm testing this and rocking it as part of my EDC now. In the car right now, but I'll post more later. To whet your appetite:
    Capitol Armory ad

Attachments

• 2012-04-28 13.23.54.jpg
      2012-04-28 13.23.54.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 186

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    I like the sheath, it looks nice and compact. Too often it seems small knives are boogered up by excessively bulky sheaths.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Less than 5.5", not double edged.

No "...dirks, daggers, or Bowies". Darn Jim and Resin...

Texas Penal Code Chapter 46: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

And in LawyerGeek:

(6) “Illegal Knife” means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one half inches; Rainer v. State, 763 S.W.2d 615 (Tex. App.-Eastland 1989, pet. ref’d) To determine length, measure entire length of blade past handle, not just the sharpened portion of the blade. Same result in McMurrough v. State, 995 S.W.2d 944 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth 1999).
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown; Albert v. State, 659 S.W.2d 41 (Tex. App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1983, pet. ref’d) Martial arts throwing star qualifies as “a hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown”.
    (C) dagger including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard; Armendariz v. State, 396 S.W.2d 132 (Tex. Crim. App. 1965) A knife slightly over seven inches in length when open, equipped with a double guard, blade that locks open and is sharpened on both sides of blade for over an inch meets the definition of a dagger.
    (D) bowie knife;
    Mireles v. State, 192 S.W. 241 (Tex. Crim. App. 1917) A knife in a scabbard with a blade nine inches long and a handle four or five inches long described as a butcher knife was embraced in the term “bowie knife” as defined by the Penal Code.
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

Alex

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    I thought it was illegal to carry anything other than a folder?
    No, it's not illegal to carry anything other than a folder. Generally:

Texas Penal Code 46.01 thru 46.06

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife.

Switchblade also illegal.

So Travis, you ready to get some training? I know a great group of guys who do that stuff. :)

EDIT: LOL, too slow with the info.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sorry things will be slow for me the next few days. Just changed cable services and the internet won't be up until tomorrow, so I'm on my phone.

I didn't get a trainer yet. Joe is still working those out I think.

As others said, other han no double edged blades and a few other similar things, the only restriction is nothing over 5.5" can be carried in public. I haven't measured this one but, I think I remember Joe saying it was ~2.8". Most people I see advocating fixed blades seem to agree that 2-3" roughly is a good size. Big enough to get the job done, small enough it's easy to carry.

A couple observations. I thought this would be a lot more difficult. Carrying horizontal at ~11 o'clock (I'm right-handed), I forget I'm even wearing it! It's easier than carrying a gun, hell easier than carrying a damn cell phone in the pocket. In the car with a seatbelt on, I don't even notice it. Too easy. I think I'll probably stick to this carry method as it seems quick, easy, both hands can access it, and it's comfortable. I'll probably try vertical IWB just for the hell of it as well, though I'm sure it will be considerably less comfortable.

Why a fixed blade? Well I still carry a folder for utility stuff. One thing about folders is they can fail. Kind of a serious thing if you're holding it when that lock fails. I have seen a couple fail myself, and I have had one liner lock fail and nearly close on my hands a few years ago. There is also the issue of having to lock the knife open to employ it. Bottom line, if the intention is in putting pointy objects in to 2-legged animals, a fixed blade is a good option to have.

As for the sheath, I will say it is the only one I've seen of it's type. It draws on several elements from some other good sheaths and kydex hardware I've seen. IMO, it is THE smallest kydex sheath I have ever seen. I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff but, IMO it seems to be a very simple and innovative design that gets the job done and remains very compact and rugged. The thing that pisses me off is knowing that Joe designed it, but it is such an innovative design I'm sure people will try to copy it and market it. Anyways, I'm equally impressed with the sheath as I am the blade. More to come soon.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The thin sheath makes a huge difference. Mine's maybe 1/4" inch (?) wide on the Eskabar. That and with a 3" blade means it just disappears. I tried pocket carry without the clip and it worked awesome, still fits fine with the clip but not as flat. It dawned on me that my handguns all have multiple holsters, why shouldn't my knives? Gonna look for another sheath for pocket w/o the clip. I'm also eyeing a third one for horizontal after looking at yours. I can reconfigure mine, but it's just nice to throw it in a different sheath and go w/o having to mess with it.

eskabar_sheath.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Pocket knifes are ok for cutting, but for thrusting I would always be concerned about the lock failing. Maybe it's unwarranted but it's still a fear. It's nice to have a single solid chunk of steel in case you need something hardier.

Mine's not near as nice a custom as yours, but it's a similar dimension. One thing that helped a lot on mine was adding some jimping on the spine for your thumb. A $35 1095 Kabar is what it is, but it would have been nice to have some jimping from the "factory". Adding the jimping makes the grip much more secure for me when gripping it for cutting (tip forward). Something you may want to consider.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Glad you're enjoying it, Travis! Looking forward to your expanded thoughts.

Still working on the trainers. I'm trying to source a material that is both cheap and easy to grind.... that way I can keep cost down.

I also have a pocket "adaptor" in the works that is stupid simple and easy to add/remove (in a few seconds without tools) to the regular sheath.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Glad you're enjoying it, Travis! Looking forward to your expanded thoughts.

Still working on the trainers. I'm trying to source a material that is both cheap and easy to grind.... that way I can keep cost down.

I also have a pocket "adaptor" in the works that is stupid simple and easy to add/remove (in a few seconds without tools) to the regular sheath.

That's an awesome idea. Please post a pic when you're done. Are you selling these wares on a site yet? Planning to?

Top Bottom