• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Comparison chart from the CCW Safe website.Don't know if this is accurate or not

"Accurate" is a slanted word in this case. Coming from the software world, I can assure you those charts are made to highlight the things CCWS does well and leaves out things where they get beat, uses different definitions for things, etc.

It's probably CLOSE, but each company would label that/fill that out differently.

My point is that under stress, something is probably better than nothing, considering that starting with a "prepaid" attorney doesn't prevent you from hiring one of your own. Interestingly, I got an email from CCWS that they have an app coming out that will let you report an incident via the map, will geolocate you to determine the agency to send, and let you do this while still on the phone with 911. That's certainly interesting.
    Texas SOT

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    "Accurate" is a slanted word in this case. Coming from the software world, I can assure you those charts are made to highlight the things CCWS does well and leaves out things where they get beat, uses different definitions for things, etc.

It's probably CLOSE, but each company would label that/fill that out differently.

My point is that under stress, something is probably better than nothing, considering that starting with a "prepaid" attorney doesn't prevent you from hiring one of your own. Interestingly, I got an email from CCWS that they have an app coming out that will let you report an incident via the map, will geolocate you to determine the agency to send, and let you do this while still on the phone with 911. That's certainly interesting.

Good points.

I got the same email about the app. Will download it when it becomes available.

I've had CCW Safe for about 4 years now. When choosing between them and TLS they both seemed pretty much the same. I think the reason I picked CCW Safe is the fact that investigators are also included in the membership fee. Perhaps that's now something TLS covers as well. It will be time for me to renew in August, so I think I'll start doing some more comparisons. The thing is, one can't really know if they're happy with any of them until the need arises. And I pray that day never comes

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The "start" can be extremely important. An attorney who allows you to say something you should not can sink your boat before you ever get the chance to hire the good attorney.

If one finds oneself in this situation, there are no less important times when a lesser attorney is acceptable.

Ideally, folks should know who to call ahead of time. It does not have to be a criminal attorney. If you have a good business attorney, call him. He will certainly know who is good in the criminal law area. He can contact a good criminal lawyer for you.

But thinking that starting with an attorney who isn't good enough to fill his calendar with regular clients is okay... Well that is not a good assumption.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The "start" can be extremely important. An attorney who allows you to say something you should not can sink your boat before you ever get the chance to hire the good attorney.

But thinking that starting with an attorney who isn't good enough to fill his calendar with regular clients is okay... Well that is not a good assumption.

That assumes you're "uninformed" (dumb) enough to talk early on, anyway. Shut up, talk only to the attorney, stay away from investigators. Even if you're 100% in the right. Nothing more than "he tried to kill me" or something similar.

There's a reason many police union contracts provide a 24 to 72-hour (or longer) "cooling off" period for officers involved in shootings before they're required to give a statement (often under a Garrity warning).

At that point, you simply need to BE represented so you can effectively end any attempt to question you, etc.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That assumes you're "uninformed" (dumb) enough to talk early on, anyway. Shut up, talk only to the attorney, stay away from investigators. Even if you're 100% in the right. Nothing more than "he tried to kill me" or something similar.

There's a reason many police union contracts provide a 24 to 72-hour (or longer) "cooling off" period for officers involved in shootings before they're required to give a statement (often under a Garrity warning).

At that point, you simply need to BE represented so you can effectively end any attempt to question you, etc.

You may well not be in your best state of mind. It may not be a matter of being dumb and talking.

And what happens when the attorney says it is okay to answer? Most folks will follow the lawyer's advice and answer. But perhaps you just got bad advice from a second rate attorney.

No, just any representation is not adequate. Way too much on the line.

And you can get a good lawyer just as easily as you can one of the attorneys who can't generate enough business on their own merits. Without paying in advance.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You already have good holster advice, and of course gun advice I say research and trying out is always the best advice. I agree with Mreed911 as far as legal. I am a TLS and NRA member, I can always find another lawyer if I need to, but having someone to call at the moment of arrest is comforting.

I hope I never have to exercise that.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I just recently received my LTC. My question to those of you with experience carrying is how much do you worry about printing. I have an Uncle Mike's IWB and I can't seem to keep the grip from pushing against my shirt. I'm probably too self conscious about it right now because it probably looks like a bulky cell phone to anyone who happens to notice.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I just recently received my LTC. My question to those of you with experience carrying is how much do you worry about printing. I have an Uncle Mike's IWB and I can't seem to keep the grip from pushing against my shirt. I'm probably too self conscious about it right now because it probably looks like a bulky cell phone to anyone who happens to notice.

OMG!

printing. There is no such thing as "printing"!

self conscious Nothing to be self-conscious about.

Wear it and forget it. :banana:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    There is probably a gazillion pages on this forum alone about the so called "printing". Don't worry about it. It's not an issue. Before "open carry" several folks thought that "printing" was illegal and would get you thrown in jail! Not true. Brandishing is illegal but "printing" is not. If someone sees you gun or the bump under you shirt, too bad. Pretty soon you'll forget about it. :green:

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    There is probably a gazillion pages on this forum alone about the so called "printing". Don't worry about it. It's not an issue. Before "open carry" several folks thought that "printing" was illegal and would get you thrown in jail! Not true. Brandishing is illegal but "printing" is not. If someone sees you gun or the bump under you shirt, too bad. Pretty soon you'll forget about it. :green:

Thanks. What about pocket carry with a pocket holster? My gun fits well but I sometimes worry someone standing behind me could see the top of the handle. Is that a common worry?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Almost no one ever notices me with a firearm and I am about the tiniest man alive. If you pay attention enough you'll noticed most people are not paying attention AT ALL and the ones that are paying attention usually glance right over you.

If you pocket carry I'd recommend a pocket holster like this :http://www.boraii.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html Mainly because I trust the hard plastic to keep from an accidental trigger pull. If you are carrying a typical pocket pistol like an LCP or bodyguard no one is going to see that thing unless you're wearing skin tight wranglers.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Almost no one ever notices me with a firearm and I am about the tiniest man alive. If you pay attention enough you'll noticed most people are not paying attention AT ALL and the ones that are paying attention usually glance right over you.

If you pocket carry I'd recommend a pocket holster like this :http://www.boraii.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html Mainly because I trust the hard plastic to keep from an accidental trigger pull. If you are carrying a typical pocket pistol like an LCP or bodyguard no one is going to see that thing unless you're wearing skin tight wranglers.

Thanks. I'll check those holsters out.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    ARRGGG! Only by the people that just started carrying. Carry daily for a month or two or three, and I think all your fears will disappear. :green:

Good point. I've been trying to pick out others who carry and I've only noticed a couple. I'm sure 99% of people aren't looking for guns and if they do see something they assume it's a phone or wallet.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If anyone asks about the bulge, just tell them it's your colostomy bag that you had to get as a result of all those gay orgies you used to attend.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Have you done the Walmart Walk yet? It's traditionally for new LTC/CHL holders! :D

I understand your concern but please realize it's not an issue. For one, as mentioned Texas now allows open carry with your LTC so if by chance anyone sees your handgun it's not an issue unless you are in a 30.07 signed location.

But as stated your fears are grossly imagined. I actually open carry most of the time and am amazed at the few number of people who notice (I think it was a total of two during 2016). While you are very aware of having a weapon, I can guarantee that 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't know and aren't looking for it.

But it's very typical of new CHL/LTC holders to feel that way, and it's about the same level of concern of carrying a weapon in Condition 1 (loaded with one in the chamber). I've met various "rookies" who are hesitant to carry that way in fear of an accidental discharge; but if you follow the basic rules of gun safety (one of which being keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot), it's highly unlikely anything will happen.

I carry a pistol that has no mechanical safeties (in the sense that requires an extra step to deactivate), just a grip and trigger safety so as long as I follow those aforementioned rules, there is very little risk.

By the way, I conceal carried for years using an Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster. While it worked for me, I finally decided on getting something a bit more tailored to my pistol. You'd be amazed at how much more secure your weapon will feel in a holster specific to it.

So, just to recap, you're paranoia is natural but unwarranted. Now go out and carry, the more you do so the more comfortable you'll be doing so! :D

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thanks. What about pocket carry with a pocket holster? My gun fits well but I sometimes worry someone standing behind me could see the top of the handle. Is that a common worry?

Pocket carry may be OK while you're mowing the yard, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use. As I stated, find a good holster and get used to having your firearm more readily accessible to you.

Oh, and wait until you first open carry ('cause you know you gotta!). It's like wearing a kilt, once you get used to it you wonder why you took so long to do so! :D

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Have you done the Walmart Walk yet? It's traditionally for new LTC/CHL holders! :D

I understand your concern but please realize it's not an issue. For one, as mentioned Texas now allows open carry with your LTC so if by chance anyone sees your handgun it's not an issue unless you are in a 30.07 signed location.

But as stated your fears are grossly imagined. I actually open carry most of the time and am amazed at the few number of people who notice (I think it was a total of two during 2016). While you are very aware of having a weapon, I can guarantee that 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't know and aren't looking for it.

But it's very typical of new CHL/LTC holders to feel that way, and it's about the same level of concern of carrying a weapon in Condition 1 (loaded with one in the chamber). I've met various "rookies" who are hesitant to carry that way in fear of an accidental discharge; but if you follow the basic rules of gun safety (one of which being keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot), it's highly unlikely anything will happen.

I carry a pistol that has no mechanical safeties (in the sense that requires an extra step to deactivate), just a grip and trigger safety so as long as I follow those aforementioned rules, there is very little risk.

By the way, I conceal carried for years using an Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster. While it worked for me, I finally decided on getting something a bit more tailored to my pistol. You'd be amazed at how much more secure your weapon will feel in a holster specific to it.

So, just to recap, you're paranoia is natural but unwarranted. Now go out and carry, the more you do so the more comfortable you'll be doing so! :D

Cheers! M2

Thanks. I've done the Wally Walk. I now wonder how I ever went through Walmart unarmed.

Top Bottom