• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Hi Julie, I'm brand new to TGT too, so apologies for my "forwardness". The advice about training is spot-on and should be taken to heart, especially if you're a true novice. I know that it can sometimes be a bit intimidating at first, so it might be helpful if you can find a personal friend or acquaintance who is very knowledgeable and that you trust who can accompany you to the range.

Cody302

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    HK Fiend,Roadkill..............................................ditto!!!!!!!!!!

Roadkill's right, shoot a plethora of handguns, feel out which one's make you feel comfortable,and cause the least amount of anxiety and doesn't over power or intimidate you.

TXSUT's advice on someone accompanying you for a little instruction was also well played. If you do not know anyone with knowledge and experience in shooting or have the cash for private lessons and depending on where you live, I'm sure anyone in the forum would be happy to act as a "dive buddy". Also, don't let a salesman steer/intimidate you in your choice of weapons.Because when your safety or your families safety is on the line, you must have a weapon that is usable for you without thought. Good Luck,Be Safe.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's an excellent point Cody302. Julie, if you could let us know what part of Texas you are in, there might be a forum member that lives in the area or nearby and that would be willing to help out, offer some personal instruction, be able to give some impartial advice in addition to gun shop sales people, etc. One word of caution though, whatever you hear from a sales person at a gun shop, take it with a grain of salt. There are plenty of good gun shops out there with good employees that actually want to help. However there are also plenty that just want to sell, even if it's at the expense of the customer.

julie0225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    HK, I'm in the North Dallas/Addison area. Anyone near me?

Oh, and sorry for using the big words. I'll make sure I don't do that anymore. ;)

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas

Oh, and sorry for using the big words. I'll make sure I don't do that anymore. ;)

I work in Addison and live in Lewisville. I have an XD9 and I love it, but it does not compare to my 1911's. If you want to try a variety of handguns, let me know and we'll see if we can get together for some range time.

Best of luck on your new pistol.

Regards,
    Kerb

ETA: I just noticed your username...my wife started shooting with a Beretta Neos and now regularly shoots my 1911's in .45, but she hates my XD9. The double-stack magazine of the XD9 makes it considerably thicker and with smaller hands, it can be uncomfortable to shoot. She also hates shooting my revolvers. Recoil and it's effects have more to do with how the gun is designed and it's weight than it's caliber. A .22 is a great way to be introduced into the world of shooting and after that, it just depends on what YOU shoot best, and what feels comfortable to you. I'll be going to the gun show this Saturday, but if you want to try out a few different types of handguns on Sunday or after, let me know.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

I believe there are at least a handful of members in or around the Dallas area. You might want to put up another post in the pistol section and mention "Dallas" in the title so hopefully the Dallas guys will pick up on it. Or you could also edit this thread title to do the same thing.

Sounds like you done been learnt all good like in school. ;) j/k

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom