• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kikjunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    san antoniio
    I'm new to reloading. I went down to the Bass Pro shop here in San Antonio and get all set up to start loading .308 and .243 for my bold actions. Here's my problem. The first time using my lyman single stage press and 308 resizing die the cases were getting stuck when trying to pull them back out from the die. I struggled with this for a while and figured that I didn't lubricate the cases enough. I added a little more lube to the pad and tried again and it got better. Later when I tried reloading my first batch of .243 I was having the same problem with the other dies too. I had to use all of my strength and hold down the table to extract the cases out of the die. I added more lube but this time it didn't help. I don't know what to do know and I'm getting somewhat discouraged. I didn't have anyone to teach me how to reload, but I read the lyman manual from front to back twice before getting started and thoroughly read the instructions that came with the dies and press. What am I doing wrong?:banghead:
    Capitol Armory ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    What are you using for lubricant? Some lubricants - like the spray-on types - have to dry before they work.

It's somewhat of an art - if you don't lubricate enough, the case can get stuck. If you over-lubricate, there is hydraulic pressure that can warp the cartridge and also get it stuck. Be sure you DON'T lube the neck of the case, just the body, or you'll definitely see indentations from the pressure.

You might want to check on-line for some reloading videos. There are some on youtube , and some of the manufacturers have them. (I've watched one or two on the Lee site.)

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Mount your press to a solid base. Preferably something that is bolted to the wall.

Get some different lube. I like the Dillon spray, it's quick to apply to a lot of cases and works well.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I use One Shot spray lubricant. I line up 50 or more cases on a board and spray them all four sides and then let them dry. I haven't experienced what your talking about. Resizing is probably the most pressure you're going to put on the case but it should work if your die is the correct size. I don't use the pad for lubing. You may need to clean your die. I clean my dies with brake cleaner (usually after using them a while). Keep working on it and let us know what's happening.

kikjunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    san antoniio
    I've been using RCBS case lube and a pad. I guess next time I go to the shop I'll pick out a couple of different kinds to try out and see which one best suits me. My dies are brand new. I was thinking maybe I should clean them first before using but I wasn't sure what to use. I'll try out brake cleaner if you're saying it works good.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    I dont do any rifle, but I do some pistol with steel dies.

Clean out your dies often, go slower ( I treated my steel dies like carbine untill i learned the hard way ), and be sure to let your lube dry. I use the Mica powder, works well for me.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I load pistol and rifle. Lots of both. If cases are getting stuck in the dies, you're not using enough lube or the wrong kind, or both. Check your local shops and see if they carry Imperial Sizing Wax. This is the best I've found, and I've been reloading since 1973. No waiting for it to dry, rub and go. All it takes is a very small amount on your fingertips, and when you pick up the case, just rub the case side, not the neck, just a little bit is all you need. It doesn't take much at all. A small tin of Imperial will probably load 20,000 cases if not more.

Also look into buying a copy of The ABC's of Reloading (Amazon.com) and read it. It will probably answer 99.9% of the questions you will have. The forum is here for the other question you might have. I would also get a stuck case removal tool from RCBS or any other company. You will eventually need it, all of us did at one time or another.

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions.

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    At what point are the cases sticking? Are the stuck from the top of the stroke, or do they start to come down, then stick when the expander ball hits the case mouth? I had this problem when I first started loading rifle ammo, using the RCBS pad and lube. I must have missed the part about lubing the inside of the case mouth. My first batch of .270 Win went really well, until I started to lift the press lever back up and they would hang, really stretched the crap out of those cases, so bad I just threw them away because I didn't think they were safe. I switched to Hornady One Shot spray lube because if you spray it right, it gets in the case mouth, and doesn't cause problems with primers and powder like some lubes can. No problems since.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If you only have one 243 and one 308,you should be neck sizing only and you won't even have to worry about it. Your brass will last longer and fire-formed brass has been proven to increase accuracy in bolt action rifles. I had a similar problem when I first started to load for my 280 remington. If I full-length size, cases will stick, but why bother when I only have one 280 ? Some good lube does help though and in the right proportions, they all work well. Maybe one day you will even be bold enough to neck-down your 308 cases for 243 bullets. Have fun reloading - Texmex

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I dont do any rifle, but I do some pistol with steel dies.

Clean out your dies often, go slower ( I treated my steel dies like carbine untill i learned the hard way ), and be sure to let your lube dry. I use the Mica powder, works well for me.

Get carbide dies. . . be happy. Life is too short for non-carbide pistol dies.

Call RCBS. Most of the customer service is pretty good with these companies. Competition is stiff.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio

Call RCBS. Most of the customer service is pretty good with these companies. Competition is stiff.

Carbide dies for bottleneck cartridges, like he is loading, STILL require lube.
    From the description, I'd guess the case neck is dragging on the expander.

If you can't get it straightened out, PM me, I'm in SA. I've handloaded for 30+ years, I'm pretty sure I can help.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Carbide dies for bottleneck cartridges, like he is loading, STILL require lube.
    From the description, I'd guess the case neck is dragging on the expander.

If you can't get it straightened out, PM me, I'm in SA. I've handloaded for 30+ years, I'm pretty sure I can help.

Yes, I know. I should have been more specific, but I was responding to zfields who uses steel pistol dies.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I use RCBS lube and pad... I just haven't had a need to try something else. I generally touch every 5th to 10th case mouth on the pad and then roll lightly at the shoulder down about a 1/2 - 1 inch. LIGHTLY or you will have what is described above... puckers on the shoulders. Touching the mouth occasionally seems to get just enough lube on the expander ball to not pull. You will get a feel... be careful or buy a stuck case removal tool immediately (ask me how I know). Lube does accumulate in the dies and wiping from time to time is necessary.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    That's the problem. It is very difficult to load for BOLD ACTIONS.

Clean dies, a stable platform for the press, and proper lubrication of the cases are a must.

Don't forget die adjustment, and to run the correct brass through the die.

.243 and .308 share a common parentage, but a .243 run through a .308 die, and a .308 run through a .243 die will lead to a new awakening.

Be well.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's the problem. It is very difficult to load for BOLD ACTIONS.

I think you meant "bolt actions".

Loading for a bolt gun is easier than a semi-auto. You don't have to worry about the rounds fitting in a magazine, feeding, and cycling the action. You don't even need to full length size the brass but once every 5 - 10 loadings depending on the caliber. Snag a neck sizing die and use it until the action get's sticky, then full length the brass once and keep on truckin' with the neck sizer. A micrometer seating die also makes seating to a particular depth quite a bit easier; while you're out looking at dies.

I've only used Dillon lube, works like a charm. Just spray a cookie pan and roll the cases around on it.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I use the rcbs lube and pad. Loaded 300 rounds of 223 not one stuck case last night. The dillon lube works good too as many others have stated. I have used the one shot also. Steel pistol dies? Why would you want that?

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Use of lube, new dies and sticking problems indicate one huge question that needs answered first :

Did you clean your dies before doing any loading? Also, what brand are they? Nearly all new dies are shipped with a preservative compound on them and should be cleaned before use. RCBS has a special "die cleaner" that they sell, but I use brake cleaner, wipe down, rinse with rubbing alch and then wipe down with clean rag. ( Charlie had mentioned this somewhat in an earlier post also )

Once you're certain that your dies are clean, then start troubleshooting any possible lube issues as posted above.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

I have one caliber, that I shoot very little of, that I still have steel dies. For .45/9mm, its carbide all the way.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom