• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackhawk44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    san antonio
    Locate a can each of Redding's LeClear Sizing Die Wax and Case Neck Lube and never worry about lube again. A tiny dab about every third case or so rubbed on while you feed the case into the die. A 2 oz can will last many folks a lifetime. Either wipe off with a paper towel or drop sized cases in an old crew sock, pour a little rubbing alchohol on, rub them around as you pour them out.

kikjunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    san antoniio
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I fixed the problem first off by cleaning my new dies. I didn't do it when I first bought them and I don't know why I sprayed them with brake cleaner then gave them a wipe and it seemed to work fine. Also I used a q-tip to apply case lube inside each neck. They went through the press smooth with no problem and then I use a clean q-tip to clean the lube out of the neck. I've heard there is a much easier spray that I can use to do this but for now I guess this will have to do. Once again thanks.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If you do choose one-shot, shake the can well to get the lubricant into suspension and let it dry. I prefer lanolin based lubes with an alcohol base, they dry extremely quickly and if you spary into a zip-loc laid on a table, shake, spray, you'll get enough the case mouths as well to avoid the expander issue. Other option, get a die with a carbide expander, worth the money.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I think you meant "bolt actions".

Loading for a bolt gun is easier than a semi-auto. You don't have to worry about the rounds fitting in a magazine, feeding, and cycling the action. You don't even need to full length size the brass but once every 5 - 10 loadings depending on the caliber. Snag a neck sizing die and use it until the action get's sticky, then full length the brass once and keep on truckin' with the neck sizer. A micrometer seating die also makes seating to a particular depth quite a bit easier; while you're out looking at dies.

I've only used Dillon lube, works like a charm. Just spray a cookie pan and roll the cases around on it.

Bold Actions require Bold methods.

I knew the moment I posted, that my synaptic connections had mis-fired.

I should also have added: Lube the inside of the neck, as that is what caused me the greatest problem when I first reloaded bottle-necked cases.

Good eye.

Be well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I re-read the thread and see no mention of how you clean your fired brass. Do you tumble them or clean them at all? It's not a vanity thing to have clean, shiny brass. Crud on the case takes up space and makes it harder to resize the brass. It's a darned shame to get a foreign object stuck in the die as every case you size from that time forward will have a length wise scratch on it. Cleaning your fired brass protects the dies.

I use RCBS lube on a pad and have for years. It's a bit messy but works great. Whenever I get too light on the lube, my elbow begins to suffer from overwork. The press will tell you about it when lube is insufficient.

Flash

Top Bottom