New revolver.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by byrom1212, Jan 21, 2009.

1. byrom1212

byrom1212 Member

May 1, 2008
    Greenvill,tx
    I'm wanting a small frame revolver for a CCW. I have dont know whats out there and wanted to see what ideas you can give me.

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    What price range?The Taurus model 85 and Charter Arms make affordable 2" snubs for under $400.Smith and Wesson also has a good selection of small pistol's.I have a SW model 66 and a 386pd and have had no problem's with them.I paid $500 for the 66 and $600 for the 386pd.

3. fm2

fm2 Event Coordinator

Apr 27, 2008
    If it's going to be for ccw, then a bobbed hammer or concealed hammer is usually considered a better choice.

I really like the S&W 642. It's a small framed (j) concealed hammer 38 with the aluminum frame, like the S&W 442. It's light enough for pocket carry. If you want something with more heft, then you can go with a steel framed S&W. And if you want it heavier still you can go with Ruger's SP101. Probably the steel j-frame and the SP101 are best for waist or jacket pocket carry.

4. CJS3

CJS3 Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Taurus 850 in 38spl, or 650 in 357mag, have no exposed hammer and are DAO. Both would make good pocket guns or IWB carry gun.

5. Nate C

Nate C Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    What's a good price for that S&W 642 airweight? I saw it at $400 but thought that was kind of high. Am I wrong?

6. Dog

Dog Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    I think $400 would be a very good price, Academy has the 442 and the 642 for $459 + tax.

In no way wish to offend any Tauras owners, but S&W and Ruger are better choices, having owned Tauras in the past myself.

7. rrent

rrent Member

Oct 28, 2008
    how about the new Ruger ---might be a little wait ---and the last two new Rugers --SR9 and LCP have had a post production recall -----I bought and have had recalled and gotten back one of each---

Ruger LCR - Lightweight Compact Revolver

8. Sanity is Curable

Sanity is Curable New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    North Texas
    Charter Arms is coming out with a Rimless Revolver in .45 auto, that I cant wait to get my hands on.

note: Sorry about the reviving an older thread.

9. junkyguns

junkyguns Active Member

IMO get what you can afford. almost any new snubby will do the job the test of time will lead you down another road , but for the time being a rossi or a taurus will work they are a pretty decent revolver and the taurus has a lifetime warranty allthough the turn around time suffers quite a bit.
    Myself I would hate be confronted with a situation of a bad guy and no defense because I had to wait to get a higher priced handgun, so get what you can save a bit more cash then take the slight loss of reselling your lesser priced handgun and get what you want. the slight loss may not even be a factor in todays panic priced handguns you may even come out on top. there are many instances of used guns selling for more than new cost, proof is in the texas gun trader ads. Not Knocking tgt at all it is the best gun site I have found for free.
    good luck on your quest. and remember bullets are not discriminant.

10. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The 2 1/4 " SP101 by Ruger is a little on the heftier side weight-wise but when you fire it with 38+P or 357 it doesn't feel like its going to rip your hand off like some of the airweight ccw revolvers... Ruger has also started making a hammerless model although the models with a hammer make it where firing in SA you have a feather trigger and amazing accuracy... That's my two cents...

I've looked at those airweights by S&W and Taurus but I wouldn't think of carrying +P in them... I'd shop around for the most ruthless looking 38 JHP's that I could find to load that baby up with those...