New Texan in Japan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dust, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

Just wanted to say hello, born and raised in Wichita Falls and Georgetown Texas, and joined up to catch up on what is going on in Texas. I am an English Teacher in Mito, Ibaraki, Japan, and will be coming back to Texas next month. Looking at going shooting if I can, and picking up some guns while I still can. Going to hit up the Austin Gun Show on the 13th, and the DFW one after Christmas. Looking for a .308 and a .223. Grandpa was a cop, and have been around guns as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, just wanted to say Konnichiwa.

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Welcome to the forum.

3. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    If you want a .223 then you should buy an Airsoft while you're over there. You can get a full auto and not even have the orange barrel.

.223 pricing here has been volatile since the election.

Welcome to the board. What part of Japan are you in? I've done some motorcycle touring around Fuji, Shimoda and Nikko.

4. Dust

Dust Active Member

Near twin ring motegi. No thanks on the airsoft. One of my students paid $800 for a sniper rifle looking airsoft. I laughed because I could get the real thing for the same price.

About the .223, I am trying to decide between an AR, Ak variant, or a bolt. Already have some 22 and 7.62x39 semi-autos, just want something that can get out a bit farther, and those four calibers should kill most of what is alive in North America.

5. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    not to argue with you but just a thought, how about a mosin nagant. cheap gun lots of power and right now cheap ammo. got 5 my self, bought 880 rounds of ammo last week for 139 bucks. and let me tell you it is a hand cannon. lot of fun to shoot and it will shoot out to 1000 yard no problem. I have a ar and a sks so I do know about them too. but for plane ole fun to shoot the mosin nagant for under 100 bucks it is hard to beat.

6. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Welcome from Austin! I visited Sasebo and Nagasaki for a few days when I was there on my aircraft carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln.

7. longtooth

longtooth Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Welcome to the board from Deep East Texas & we will welcome you back to Lone Star Soil when you arrive shortly.

8. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Welcome aboard!

9. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

Welcome aboard, was in Japan for 2 1/2 years from 54 to 56 and went to highschool at Camp Drake army Base and my dad was stationed at
    Tachikawa Air Force base. It was a fun time at old Naramasu High.

10. BeNotAfraid

BeNotAfraid Active Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Red River, Texas
    Dust, glad ya joined up!

Howdy and welcome!

...me I was certified to teach secondary English. got my first class of alleged "honors" student, and said "Today we'll read Shakespeare..." and these kids all say: "Who dat dude?" This was back in the 70's!

I got so disgusted, I walked down the hall and started teaching vocational Machine Trades for a few years! Figure!